5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by Alex W

2.0 out of 5 stars Consistently Inconsistant
I consider myself something of a whisky fanatic and I've drunk my fair share and more. Initially I was impressed by the density of this book, you'll need good reading glasses and a strong light to make it out. Having delved deeper however there seem to be several problems,
Published on 5 Mar 2012 by James M

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide, 31 Dec 2010
Alex W (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Jim Murray's bible is, as the other reviewers have highlighted below, a dependable, entertaining and above all helpful guide for whisky drinkers. It's significantly more useful than Lamond and Tucek's 'The Malt Whisky File', which has far too many label photos and a dearth of text. I don't think the lack of images in Murray's Bible is a disadvantage and I plan on buying the book every year from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars whisky enthusiast`s necessity, 23 Jan 2011
Mr. I. B. G. Hackman (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
this is a must for anyone who wants to know more about whisky worldwide- especially for single malt fans,.. a new update annually-you may not agree with Jim`s opinion of some drams,but you can certainly broaden your knowledge with this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consistently Inconsistant, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 (Paperback)
The quality of the information for each whisky varies hugely from a complete dissection of the character to the flippant: "I say! Sherry anyone?" as a complete review of a particular bottle. Whilst the author may think it adds character and levity to the book it also makes it frustrating. When one looks up a potential purchase and finds less helpful information than might be found in any random novel opened to a random page it does make the reader wonder why he bothered to buy the book in the first place.
The scoring is also bizarre the author appears particularly hung up on sulphur and occasionally caramel additions. But any whisky which manages to avoid these pitfalls is guaranteed a good score. For example, Sainsbury's Basics Blended Scotch Whisky, a whisky I was unfortunate enough to try and I can guarantee is neither pleasant nor much like whisky, receives a score to indicate it is "Average and usually pleasant though sometimes flawed". This habit pushes most the remaining whiskies into roughly 10% of the possible 100% scale. This in turn means there is, according to the book, little difference between a great Speyside and a mass produced under-aged bottle at a fifth the price. If that were true any whisky drinker could save himself a fortune by buying bottles of Tescos value single malt for the rest of his life. I won't be.
Finally despite the book being apparently dense there are many notable omissions from the new 2010-2012 bottlings. The space is filled largely with rare if not non-existent bottlings from years ago. Most of which are impossible to source unless you have some particularly good contacts. A good use of space? I think not.

All this aside though when the author does provide useful information it is very good. And if one sticks to the high-high-high end of the scores you are guaranteed a nice dram. Just a pity, with a little more thought and discrimination this could have been so much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 26 Jan 2011
Great reference book. Quite small (albeit thick) and very comprehensive. Not as up-to-date as I would've expected with some very special bottlings from mid-2010 missing from the reviews, but still very worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars whisky bible 2012, 27 Nov 2011
Mr. I. B. G. Hackman (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 (Paperback)
as usual Jim Murray has produced an update for his original book,and whether or not you fully agree with his opinion on the flavour & ranking of the numerous single malts tasted,he certainly gives an excellent analysis of what is available and how it is presented.Definitely an annual `must have` for all single malt enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like having a whisky expert in your pocket..., 16 Nov 2010
Mr. M. Hunt - See all my reviews
This is a stonking good book for anyone who is going buy whisky. I have used it to help me buy single malts recently and have yet to make a dud decision. It witty, informative and will be a companion as I explore whisky for Christmas. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference!, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 (Paperback)
A brilliant reference but not really what I was after - so I suppose the 3 stars should go to me and not the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars You just can't go by what he says about whiskies, 21 Mar 2013
His whisky ratings just don't make sense to me at all. As a whisky blender he seems to rate blends better than malts which is totally against my experiences and many others (I have drunk over 100 different single malts over a life time's passion for whisky). Michael Jackson is probably a better guide because his preferences seem to follow those generally held amongst whisky lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 (Paperback)
It made my husband very happy - adequate information on the subject and well illustrated. A good buy and a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Dec 2012
Cl Travis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 (Paperback)
As a whisky lover I find this book very useful. Anybody who has any interest in whisky or who is considering trying a new dram should invest in this book.

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012
Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2012 by Jim Murray (Paperback - 3 Oct 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01