5.0 out of 5 stars Great self-study guide
Published on 18 Aug 2009 by M. Casey

3.0 out of 5 stars Step by Step detailed book
This book is a Step by Step approach to basic Excel in detail. My only disappointment was that I was more advanced than what the book was teaching me!!! Even so I still learnt a thing or too. I will be looking to buy the advanced version now
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Mr. D. Dudley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great self-study guide, 18 Aug 2009
M. Casey (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn Excel 2007 Essential Skills with The Smart Method: Courseware Tutorial for Self-instruction to Beginner and Intermediate Level (Paperback)
This book provides an excellent self-study guide for Excel 2007. It is suitable for both beginners and those who wish to become proficient in using Excel in the workplace. The lessons are well presented and easy to follow as each new skill is explained on 2 facing pages of A4. There are revision exercises at the end of each session to allow readers to practice these skills.

Like other readers I am looking forward to Mike Smart's new book "Learn Excel 2007 Expert Skills".

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab Book, 27 April 2010
N. J. Wallace "morgans mum" (scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to try to learn Excel in a short period of time. This book is absolutely brilliant!! It is very easy to follow and downloads are available to help you through it. Every different function of Excel is shown in a double page format and there are assessments for you to take after each block of lessons. I got through this book in one day and I am now an intermediate user of Excel.
If you want to learn Excel this is definitely the book to get!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn the 'Smart' Way. Title says it all., 6 April 2010
I am 46 years old and suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, which due to the condition, prevents me from being employed. These books are a way of proving to myself that I DO have something to live for and the ability to learn new things. I have no need whatsoever to learn Excel but am just so pleased to have found the courses and throughly enjoy them.
Do you need to learn Excel?
All I can say is "Get the books, enjoy and before long you will become amazed at how quick you can learn"

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener, 15 Dec 2010
Before buying this book I was torn between this or the Expert Skills edition, since I have had a lot of experience with Excel 2003. However, starting with the Essential Skills book was definitely the right decision. Although there were familiar elements, there was something on every page of this book that enhanced my use of Excel 2007.

In the past, I've known there must be a way to do a certain thing, or a more efficient way to do another - this book reveals those secrets. It acts not only as a very clear learning device (the end of chapter exercises are an excellent way to reinforce the knowledge), but also as a reference guide if you need to dip back in (when at work, for example) to remind yourself of how to do something.

I had been worried that a book on Excel might be dry and laborious; far from it. Each lesson involves working with a range of Excel workbooks (downloaded from the books' website), so you genuinely learn from experience.

I think more than anything this book reveals the simple power of Excel 2007 without overwhelming the reader. It actually left me looking forward to putting together a workbook. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to become a more efficient and professional user of Excel.

I have since moved on to the Expert Skills book, which is more challenging, but no less accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 8 Dec 2009
Andrew (Weston-Super-Mare, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Excellent product. Systematic, coherent and well structured. Starts off leaning towards the rather obvious and easy but works towards reasonable complexity quite quickly. Very useful for anyone who wants to update their skills from a lower version of Excel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 19 May 2010
I am learning new, easier and quicker ways to do things that I didn't know was possible. I really like that it's a book and I can skip straight to the subject I'm interested in. This tool is perfect for: someone who has finaly decided to convert to excel 2007, a total beginner (very easy to follow step by step), or someone already using excel but never really learned how properly (like me and the majority of the people). I will definitely save a lot of time in the future thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 1 April 2010
What a wonderful series of books and videos, I have purchased both the Excel 2007 Essential Skills and the Expert Skills. These books and videos don't assume that you know or have used Excel 2007 before, the books are very clearly written and easy to understand and I recommend that you buy both the books and videos as they complement each other, it's nice to check that you have it right by watching the video, which can be paused whilst you practice. I am an Excel 2007 user at both work and home but there are always things that you don't know or haven't used for a long time, these books/video shows you how it should be done............Brilliant Mike, I have tried other books that are useless (only one place for those to go - bin). If you want to learn how to use Excel 2007 with confidence buy the Mike Smart series. Thanks Mike......Roz Carder

3.0 out of 5 stars Step by Step detailed book, 2 Nov 2010
Mr. D. Dudley - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Feb 2010
A brilliant book. Prior to this book, I was able to use Excel but was self-taught and subsequently completely unaware of the many functions/shortcuts available. It is easy and enjoyable to use, so much so I have just ordered the Expert Skills book from the same series!

4.0 out of 5 stars good book for noobies, 4 Mar 2009
tone0121 "Tony" (west midlands,england) - See all my reviews
a good book for learning excel 2007 essential skills, but would have been better with a bit of colour added to make it more easy on the eye(like on front cover)