Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2009
An excellent little walking guide, especially for those - like me - wanting to explore as many parts of the Isle of Skye as possible in a visit. Arranged roughly by 'peninsular', there are walks ranging from 45 minutes to a few hours, even a day. We did at least one from each section and they were all straightforward and, of course, beautiful!

The photos are enticing - making you want to try each one - and walks, features, etc. well described.
on 19 August 2008
There are plenty of books with walks on the Isle of Skye but we haven't come across one like this - it's exactly what we've been waiting for - with walks for those of us who are not interested in or capable of "Munro Bagging" but want to experience and enjoy nearly all the island has to offer. With fantastic photos which really give a feel for each walk and great walk descriptions, this book has given us the confidence to explore so many parts of Skye and also Raasay, knowing that the walks will generally take us 1-4 hours, not an exhausting day long hike in the mountains!
on 18 July 2008
Excellent guide with wonderful descriptions and outstanding pictures. A must have for any visit to Skye. I love that it just slips in your pocket and you are ready to go. Great work Helen and Paul, look forward to more of the same.
on 28 August 2010
As a family (2 adults - 2 girls aged 10 and 5) we wanted a book of walks suited to us and this book hit all the right spots. We ended up using it every day doing more than one of the walks on some days. We loved the little walks that led to secluded beaches and the bits of history of the island talked about in the book. We spent most of our holiday in the north of the island - but also managed to fit in a couple of walks in the south, of which there are plenty to choose from that don't have you battling up the major mountains. I also noticed that there is a range of books in the series covering other areas and I suspect I will get one or two more.
on 25 March 2011
Wonderful little book. Purchased this as we are going on holiday to skye in August and wanted an idea of where to walk. This is perfect, fits in your pocket and covers all sorts of walks. Tells you how long they will take, where to start and where you finish, even the buses you need to take to get to starting point if not driving. Really looking forward to trying some of them, maybe the shorter ones for me and my husband and my adult son intends to do the harder ones!
on 4 June 2012
We bought this book for our recent trip to Skye and it was great. Its small and easy to fit in your pocket for walking, and the cover has flaps which are very good for marking the page. The walks are divided into sections according to their locations on the island, which we found useful for planning day trips to the different areas. The walks are not hard, so we could fit 4 into a day as we are keen walkers. The book served us well to show sites we would otherwise have missed. Upon our return friends who have a holiday cottage on Skye, and visit it regularly, commented that they had not known of some of the places we visited.

There were only a couple of nagging points - the Quaraing walk in the book involved catching a bus at one end, which didn't appeal so we did a loop instead - the common walk people do there and as marked in another guide book. I did not see any benefit to the one in this guide, other than that its slightly shorter - perhaps including the loop as an 'option' would be good.

Also on the 'four churches' walk the view to Dunvegan castle described in the book is now totally obscured by trees that have grown into the view point, obviously now much higher than when the book was written.
on 26 August 2010
Spent a long weekend in Skye and did just three of the walks from the book. An excellent little book for the simpler walks along sea shores and the like. The book refers to relevant ordnance survey maps for each walk but does not use the co-ordinates with the maps in the book. Although we had ordnance survey maps with us there was no need to use them.
on 20 June 2010
I've recently become a puppy owner so I'm having to find shorter walks to do while she is still young. This book was an amazing resource, used to the full during a few days on Skye in early June. Of the various walks I did, the walk from Portree is superb, and the 2 by the Braes made a good morning & afternoon pair.

It is accurate in its directions, so that you don't really need an OS map to accompany the shorter walks I've tried out so far. And the flaps on the ourside cover make it easy to bookmark the walk you're following.

An excellent book, I'm looking forward to trying out the others ones I bought as well.
on 11 May 2011
Brilliant, Brilliant little book. Got this two weeks before going to Skye, based on reviews on this site. Stayed in Portree and followed places to go in the book, everyday we went somewhere all around the North of the Island. The book was easy to follow, although it is only a pocket book there is far more info in it than we thought, very informative and sent us to some fantastic places. Some days we went to two places in the day depending on how far etc. Hopefully visiting Skye next year and after looking in the book will try he South of the island, looking forward to visiting the rest of the island.
on 27 January 2015
I love this little book. Dont be put off by the size, there is some good variety in this book with some flat and easy and some scrambling walks. It fits into your back pocket, so no excuses for not using it to plan a Skye adventure. I was delighted to find that this was published by the folks from Walking Highlands and I hope that the revenue from this helps to support their world domination as the ultimate source for walking and staying in Scotland. Some of the walks from the book appear on that site as well, so together they are a good source for a full adventure in the highlands.