5.0 out of 5 stars Bugz - a prophesy?
Published on 20 Oct 2008 by Keith Barnfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive nonsense
Very early in my reading of this book I started to wonder if it was a vanity publication. Google revealed that the publisher is actually an art gallery, which, perhaps, accounts for the fact that it's beautifully produced, printed on wood-free paper, with (joy!) a ribbon bookmark securely sewn into the binding and lavishly illustrated. The publisher's web site suggests...
Published on 6 Dec 2008 by Steve Craftman

1.0 out of 5 stars An Opportunity Lost, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 (Hardcover)
In what could have been a great opportunity to involve the topicality of CERN with the inviting science of Quantum Mechanics, the author has produced a confusing mish-mash of people, pictures and particles that quickly descends into comic book story telling. And the story is pretty poor.

Particle science gives an imaginitive link to the fundamentals of life in the universe and so provides fertile ground for an unveiling of mystery. The author pretty much spoils the show with an increasingly annoying use of the letter Z for characters (Zeil, Zein, Zon) and places (Zytopia). The story is long in the unfolding: basically how can some stray particles, who combine with Human "equations" return home at beyond light speed....enter CERN!! And yet it is quick in the ending...almost as if the author had ran out of ideas.

Not a book I will be recommending.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 for presentation, 2 for content, 16 Mar 2009
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a shame you don't judge books by their covers, because this one looks great. The concept sounded great too, aliens, invasions, the topical (potentially) world ending CERN particle accelerator - it was all looking and sounding rosy. Until I started reading it.

This is a book I simply could not get into, if fact I read another book between attempts. I will freely admit to not being a literary type and I wondered if it was going over my head, so lent it to a friend who reads lots of books and particularly likes sci-fi. She's struggling with it too, but described it as 'alright' and insists she'll finish it. Sometime. But for me it was like reading through treacle.

I'm giving it three stars, because I don't think it's a bad book as such (I'll let the excessive use of 'Z' slide), just a bit overblown for my tastes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a novella would have been a better idea, 19 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A real pity as when this came through on Amazon Vine. I was really expecting a great read. I love books of all genres but I must admit that I do have a soft spot for great science fiction. Unfortunately this book doesn't live up to expectations. The idea is excellent but more thought should have gone into story and character development. It might have been better to have written it as a novella and then developed it into a fully fledged novel at a later date as we could have possibly enjoyed a fully developed concept.

I do believe that the editor should also have been more involved as the names for the Bugz as well as many other entities just didn't leave a lot to the imagination and felt more rushed than inspired. It can take years to develop a good story and it is a pity that more time wasn't used to create this story that had so much potential in its conception but failed on the delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bugz - a prophesy?, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 (Hardcover)
At a time when we are all pre-occupied with the rise and fall of the economic order, something that is actually as natural as the tides,it still behoves us to consider wider and more weighty matters such as how and why we are here, and in the process perhaps put our own everyday concerns and worries in context. The book Bugz by David Jackson does just that. Set in the not-too-distant future, but exploring themes of the past, the story propels the reader into a world where scientific advances have brought consideration of our existence into much sharper focus; indeed to a point within which the creation is almost within mortal grasp. It does this through both the human perspective and, rather intriguingly through the consciousness of sub-atomic particles. A difficulty for many readers will undoubtedly be the leap of imagination that the latter requires. However, those who might be sceptical should consider two things. Firstly, whether by accident or design, publication of this book has coincided with start-up of the Large Hadron Collider (in the expectation of isolating 'intelligent' particles) at CERN in Switzerland, this being the setting of the book, albeit in a future context. Secondly, and rather eerily, just this morning a scientist was talking on Radio 4 about the apparent communication sounds that some particles make, noises which come as annoying clicks until they are slowed or stretched to become almost musical. Read the book and see how this fits in. If you need another reason for buying Bugz you need look no further than the dramatic illustrations which Mr Jackson has commissioned. Stretch your imagination. This book is well-worth a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Bugzzzzz please, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 (Hardcover)
Although the narative was a little hard going on the odd occasion and the interaction between the main(human)characters a bit wooden, it was a most enjoyable read. Purchased for me by a work colleague who knows the author, it is a book that would have probably passed me by, but it just goes to show how one should always keep an open mind. I have read quite a few of the classic novels in the past, 'I am Legend' and 'The Lord of the Rings' being two of my personal favourites and find that Bugz sits comfortably beside them on the shelf.

I found the idea of these tiny particles having a conscience, hierarchy and most of the things we recognise from our everyday lives (libraries for example) interesting. The synopsis at the back that explained the various 'Jacksonian' ideas as to what had happened to the world in the lead up to 2042,and what the various Z words meant, should be read first to fully appreciate this book. In fact it would have been better if this were at the beginning of the book.

The limited edition hardback that I have was embellished with an abundance of good quality pictures and the whole package is presented to a high standard. I think a note of congratulations is in order for the extra effort that has been put in on this edition. If you can get hold of the limited first run I recommend that you do.

To sum up then. Buy this book, read the back first, maybe read it twice, keep an open mind and you'll enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bugz bugged me, 14 Dec 2008
J. Glen "Jeanette Glen" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a story based upon a very clever idea, and is well written. That said it is strange that such a book can be so very irritating to read. The idea that so many items, concepts and ideas all have names starting with Z very quickly becomes old and the intelligent Bugz are completely uninteresting to read about also why do so many things, names etc have an asterisk beside them?

The start of the story where we are introduced to the people involved in the story is good and the characters are well drawn and the reader does become interested in them and what is happening to but all to quickly we go into Bugz land and it is complicated, which normally means good, but this is too complicated and constantly having to refer to the Glossary to translate the Bugz language is annoying.

I normally can read a book within 3 - 4 days max, 2 weeks later I am still struggling through this one, it is a good idea but for me the Bugz need something to make them more appealing to the reader, I am left not really caring what happens to the Bugz and most definitely uninterested in what happened and why it happened, in their past.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 13 Nov 2008
Ms. R. Adam (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 (Hardcover)
I bought this book on a whim, having known nothing about it previously. It turned out to be a fantastic read. The concepts in the book are all so relevant given the experiments currently going on in CERN in Switzerland with the LHC. This book includes everything from eco-terrorists to high powered action. There's a bit of something for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 13 Nov 2008
Mr. R. CAMPBELL (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 (Hardcover)
I recently finished reading Bugz and couldn't rave over it any more. It was exciting, suspenseful and kept me gripped right to the last page.

Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1
Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1 by David Jackson (Hardcover - 24 Aug 2008)
17.11