Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon 24 December 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a plot involving sentient quantum particles from another universe stranded on Earth and influencing human scientific development this should have made for an interesting, and epic, tale. The book promises much but ends up being derivative of everything from Greek mythology (gods meddling in human affairs), James Bond, space opera and fantasy. The science is hard science but the novel is not sci-fi, I would describe it more as fantasy with the creation of an 'alien' civilisation. Unfortunately the aliens are not that alien and come across as quite human even before they make contact with the humans. It is basically a quest - save the world hybrid that doesn't live upto it's blurb. It could also have done with a decent editor to help improve the writing - which swings from cliched tedium to some alright passages.

Having said that I did finish the book, it is quite an easy read, as I found the plot pulling me along with it. I would probably not read anymore by this author but the novel did have a small amount of merit which kept me going till the end.
on 17 December 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a science fiction fan one of my biggest woes is poorly written work in the genre. The ideas portrayed in science fiction are often abstract and strange to comprehend. However, the best authors make even the most complex of ideas an ease to understand and enjoy. David Jackson's `Bugz' does the exact opposite. Personally I found the central storyline was actually rather simple - tiny intelligent beings manipulating the world of man. However, it was written is such a ham fisted way that many parts were almost unreadable. A book can be intelligent and academic without reading like gibberish.

The worst parts of the book by far were those in the Bugz universe. The over use of Z in every word smacked of old fashioned and lazy sci fi writing. Also the calling every characters Zot, Zit, Ziet, Zill etc or whatever is a quick route to reader confusion. The human parts of the book were better and if the entire setting had been here a half decent novel would have been released. On a more positive note the actually quality of paper and illustration is of the highest order - pity about the content.

`Bugz' feels too much like one author's clever idea that failed in translation from brain to page. Perhaps Jackson was striving to write an epic novel of historic portions, but he ended up with a whimper. One final thing, when trying to come up with the name you can give a species of tiny super beings you HAVE to come up with a better name than Bugz. It would be funny if it was not so sad.

Sammy Stinker
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I would normally, when doing any review, give a synopsis' of the item for the delectation of any potential purchasers but frankly for Bugz Contact ( Book Zero) i cannot be arsed. Other reviewers have already done a sterling job of this so repetition isn't really necessary and more to the point it,s all so tedious- reading about it all again will be doing no one any favours . Plus it saves me the tedium of writing about it .Everyone's a winner then.
I really wanted to like this book so all the above pains me some what. It,s sumptuously packaged with lovely charcoal illustrations .So much so it feels more like a work of art than a book . As a book, unfortunately Bugz is irredeemably dull. There is the basis of a good idea here and a lot of work and research has clearly gone into it but the book immediately becomes bogged down with boring scientific prose. It,s often not a work of fiction, more like a physics lecture.
The story rambles too , grinding wearily along with it,s monotonous narrative mirroring it,s monotonous characters .After 30 pages i was puffing out my cheeks in frustration .After 100 pages my head was nodding like a Tory peer on the back bench of the house of lords. After 200 pages i was dreaming of Halle Berry in naughty night attire and smashing the winning runs in the 2009 ashes series though to be fair i tend to do that anyway. Reading this book ultimately was more gruelling than cycling to work during a recent snowstorm and that was bloody hard work let me tell you.
Not good then. Some will love it,s quirky plot and rambling scientific exposition. After all you expect that to some extent with science fiction. However I feel it,s not too unreasonable to expect interesting things to happen . Vivid characters , exciting scenario,s , horrible alien species if at all possible but failing that some excitement....any excitement......please. Bugz Contact is about as exciting as a copy of The Watchtower but alas nowhere near as short. The illustrations are better though.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this book up with high hopes, some of which were dashed, others were fulfilled.

Bugz is what I would class as hard science fiction. There is some heavy physics on offer here but strangely these are the most compelling parts of the book.

Where this novel suffers is in the characterisation. Some of the characters are paper thin and seem to exist to exposite to further the plot.

I am the type of reader who has several books on the go at once and will put one down and pick it up again a few days later. Unfortunately I put this down and have not picked it up for a couple of weeks. This book demands a lot from the reader. For the die hard sci-fi fan this book will fit the bill but the weak characters make the reading heavy going at times.

Good, but flawed.
on 27 December 2012
Not as dire as some think, but I still couldn't get past the first 100 pages. Could have done with some better editing and more zip. That aside it's read like a decent story that I would have stayed with but for the bad points below.

The biggest bugbears were the background pictures and the asterisks that pointed you to the back pages where terms were explained. Even when I bought it (50p from Waterstones) I wasn't sure if it was fiction or non-fiction and the prologue at the beginning didn't help that impression. It was only reading the story itself that I realised it was fiction.

If it's re-issued without the background pictures (the ones in between the chapters are fine) and the notes, it will sell and read a whole lot better.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved the illustrations and the layout of the book. Along with the blurb on the back I started reading it with anticipation: the forward was fascinating...but it was down hill from then on. It may be the start of a classic scifi saga and I wouldn't completely rule that out, this volume could be a lot of scene setting and background that upon completion of the entire series will be the soucre of much pleasure to fans. As it stands I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone.
By the by I found it rather odd that there were some rather strange gratuitous sexually references that didn't seem to be there for any reason at all and in my eyes would detract make the book less acceptable for some of the target audience.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just what was the publisher thinking?

maybe the author should park up his plans for a series of Stephen Baxter style story arcs if this is anything to go by. Substandard sci-fi with vague charcoal drawings that look like a Broadmoor patient's bad weeks on lithium do not go together.

It really is not going to draw in the reader when pages are covered in this strange monochrome scrawl and grey shading, meaning that you have to go into another room or switch on a light to make out the text on the page.

Pretentious artworjk all the way through, and a story that quite honestly just grated with me and left me totally underwhelmed. Save your money or you will do as I did and throw this book into a corner after a couple of chapters.

Sci-fi reading should not be hard work. This was turgid.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2009
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wanted to like Bugz, I really did. As a hardback, it is a lovely book, and the artwork and design are excellent, and the timing of the book was obviously set to capitalise on the Large Hadron Collider inauguration.

Which is about as positive as I can be I'm afraid.

The premise is a good (if not original) one - that a form of intelligent life exists at the subatomic level, and these lifeforms (Bugz) can interact with our macroscopic world in a meaningful way. The book describes how an earlier golden age for these Bugz has passed, and how the (evil) black Bugz scheme to perpetuate their rule beyond the natural order. A quest sets out to find a lost saviour, and falls through some form of singularity into our universe, where the lost Bugz try to influence human life and develop a means to get home.

Which sounds all well and good, but there are major problems with this book.

1. All the Bugz and related terminology have names beginning with Z. This probably sounded like a good idea at the time, but gets very wearing. Likewise, related puns (Buggzist philosophy, a spaceship called the Zargo with its Zargonauts)also seem to belong to a children's book.
2. The characterisation is poor.
3. The science is confused and in places simply wrong. The nature of the subatomic particle Bugz is never explained. At one point the "mutant" W particles are introduced. These are later identified at the (real life) W particles that convey the weak nuclear force, but it is never explained why such a particle should be considered mutant. The Y and X particles that are also mentioned never fit into such a category. There are also silly errors regarding scientific notation and it is never explained what the arbitrary white and black Bugz division represents (not charge and not matter/antimatter from other references in the book, so what...?) And what are engineering and warrior Bugz?
4. The whole nature of what intelligent thought represents is also not addressed. How can the Bugz think? How do they store and process information if they are subatomic particles?

....and so on. In short, this is not a well thought out, "hard" sci-fi book. Space opera like Star Wars has more internal consistency than Bugz, and a better plot.

I don't like to be so negative in a review, so I'll end on a high note. While reading Bugz, I was reminded of A.A.Attanasio's The Last Legends of Earth, which is one of my all-time favourite novels. Partly this was because in Bugz one of the characters is called Zotl, the name of the enemy in Last Legends, and partly it was because Last Legends features a submicroscopic alien race "climbing" into our universe in a similar fashion to the Bugz, but Last Legends of Earth does this so much better.

Forget Bugz and track down a copy of Last Legends of Earth instead!
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2009
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The plot is stupid. I was going to use longer words, but that sums it up. Some of the human parts are OK, but the part where you are meant to believe in a society existing in sub-atomic particles made me want to hit the bottle. And don't get me started about the utterly infantile preoccupation with the letter z.

So, I gave up. There's only one other novel I have ever done this with and I have read hundreds.

Oh, it's very pretty. But I wanted to read a book, not view a catalogue for an art exhibition.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2010
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I very seldom give up on a book, but Bugz has defeated me. I tried to read it but I found it completely unfathomable. I would normally start a book review with a synopsis of the plot, but to be honest, I have no idea what the plot is. I thought Phase IV by Barry Maltzberg was weird but this beats it hands down (and I managed to finish Phase IV). I think it's about sub-atomic particles being sentient but I got lost and frankly bored.

Avoid it like the plague.