5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting on the go- Great practical book
Published on 7 July 2009 by Kerry Berry

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing
I found this book very confusing. I gave up before reaching any of the projects. The instructions jump about and don't start at the beginning and end at the end. In the middle the author abandons the quilting instructions and shows you how to make a bag for carrying your work about! She then continues the quilting instructions. I couldn't get my head around what she kept...
Published 3 months ago by Panny

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting on the go- Great practical book, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Quilting-on-the-go (Paperback)
The method of working quilts in smaller sections is explained clearly with detailed photos and descriptions. I have arm strain problems and find this an ideal method to make quilts and do machine quilting without the strain of working with a big heavy quilt. It has a good selection of projects with alternative colour ways shown and is a great springboard into designing your own quilts using the on the go technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best quilting book so far, 13 April 2010
T. Bradd "The new-ish stitcher" (Bicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quilting-on-the-go (Paperback)
I am fairly new to quilting (I began in 2008)and have to say that this book is really GREAT for not only the beginner but the expert also. I borrowed a copy from a friend, and have to say was so impressed, i had to buy my own copy.The instructions & photos are so clear, precise, and simple to follow they make quilting so much easier to understand. (Alot of author's could learn alot from this book's layout etc). There are great tip's in this book from the basic beginning, even too washing your quilt. The projects are beautiful and relatively straight forward, and i'm starting one of the projects at the moment. If i had found this book sooner, i certainly would'nt have wasted money on some of the other's i have purchased.Personally i say 10 out of 10 to the author Carolyn Forster for a lovely useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilt as you go, 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: Quilting-on-the-go (Paperback)
This is a beautifully illustrated & easy to understand book. Suitable for beginners & the more experienced quilter. It turns making a large quilt into a really manageable project. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting made portable!, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
I've yet to make a quilt, but I've made other patchwork items including several cushions and have done a mini test-quilt to practice technique, particularly binding which I hadn't done before and for some reason terrified me - there was no need as its actually quite simple.

This book is well written and inspiring. I bought it because I want to make a king-size quilt for my bed, but there is no way I am ready to tackle it all in one piece and nor do I have the room. This book enables you to make the quilt one square at a time and add all the detail you like to each square. It will be a perfect past-time in front of the tv. I'm going to start by making a baby quilt and then work my way up.

It does seem like you need quite of lot of tools in order to make the quilt, but I think you can probably get away with not buying everything in her list and if you cross-reference with other sources i.e. the internet, various blogs you'll be told different things. I would be sure you want to pursue quilting before you buy everything on the list in the beginning of the book as you'll easily spend 100 just to 'begin' and I don't really think its necessary. I bought glass headed pins, quilters spray 505 (big fan of it now), hand quilting needles and thread for hand-quilting and machine-piecing. I didn't get anything else just yet as want to get a good idea of what I'm doing so that I can decide what I honestly need and what I can live without. A rotary cutter will certainly come in handy but its good old fashioned scissors for now.

Incidentally, if you are looking for an online store to source your quilting needs I used 'The Cotton Patch' and I was very happy with them and will use them in the future as the store is predominantly for quilters. I also found a very inspirational blog called 'Cozy Things' - the blogger is a keen and very talented quilter. The pictures of her work alone are enough to make me want to get creative!

I would definitely recommend you purchase this book if quilting is your thing, or you want to make it your thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable quilting, 18 Nov 2011
Barbara Rhoades "Jackie of all Trades" (O'Fallon, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
When I first saw this book, I thought it read "quilting as you go". Since my guild has been making more quilts this way, I couldn't wait to read it. Alas, my mind and eye coordination was not right and it is a book about taking quilting with you when you are out of the house. Still, not a bad idea; just not the one I was thinking about although it does have some of the features of quilting-as-you-go.

The cover has a "turned" edge which you can use as a bookmark. I love books like this but it would have been nicer if the binding was spiral bound so it would lay flat as well. There are over 30 pages of tips and how-to ideas that make up the first part of this book. On page 41, there are 15 graphics of blocks shown. I did find one block mislabeled. It says it is an hour-glass quilt but it is really a square in a square block.

Each project has a photo, the quilt, block and framed block size, the number of blocks used to make the quilt, the templates used and the frame design name. There is also a paragraph about the quilt.

A lists of fabrics needed is next which includes the way to cut it. Directions follow with graphics and photos of what you are doing. Any templates are provided at full size. The section for the templates is in the back. The book also has a list of resources, contacts and recommended reading. A small bio about the author is also given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to get started, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
This book is inspiring and informative with lovely pictures and clear instructions. Can't wait to start my first quilt though I think it would also help those with more experience too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very explicit, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
Helpful with applique work which I am just starting, very well illustrated and the binding oft o finish off the work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting-on-the-go, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
A chance to take your quilting project and work on it on holiday and trips away from home. Very practical introduction to sashing techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
A friend had it and the desriptions of how to go about making a quilt without trying to quilt it all at once were very easy to follw. I was absorbed immediately and had to get it straight away for myself. It arrived very quickly and was in pristine condition

4.0 out of 5 stars Well produced, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Quilting-On-The-Go (Paperback)
Quilt as you go is well explained and I am eager to have a go at this technique.Good illustrations and ideas.

ARRAY(0xafdef33c)

Quilting-on-the-go
Quilting-on-the-go by Carolyn Forster (Paperback - 1 May 2007)
Used & New from: 21.20