Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 July 2010
I first read graham's book when I knew very little about permaculture. This book gave me a real.understanding about the ethics and practice of UK permaculture. It has an accessible style and is an easy way to understand heavy socio-environmental concepts. Recommended read.
on 7 July 2010
I am no expert in this area, I'm a novice and this guide has been of tremendous help. Its very functional not only in its material but in its actual physical sense, fitting neatly into a pocket and so available for reference out there where you need it.

Many books in this area make the assumption that you have a good understanding already and they have lost me before I start. This guide gives every one something, from the complete beginner to the expert. I showed it the other day to someone with a lot of knowledge in the area and he immediately found something that he didn't know and that he could put into practice very quickly.

What I also like is that this isnt a book just for the country garden, its an urban space guide as well.
on 7 July 2010
I am what is known as some what of a lazy slut and my idea of saving the enviromment is to drink more wine to create more bottles to recycle.

Hmmm Permaculture...I haven't got a clue so I read it and was very pleasantly surprised! Mister Burnett has a gift for making the complex and, lets face it rather boring, easy and interesting. For a complete consumer junkie like myself I was drawn into the conversational, non patronising style and it's true, I read it from cover to cover.

The art work is akin to cartoon and woodcut and this 'DIY' Ethos is a key factor of a really interesting book written in a way I could understand and actually recount sections afterwards.

My highlights were how a cup of tea is made industrially versus the much simpler permaculture cuppa, the zones and the section about weeds. I just used to fill my garden with garden centre friviolites, but now I know a bit about 'weeds' I think I am not so concerned about manacured perfection (unlike my nails) and this is a handy little referance book for when I go out to potter around.

The best thing about this little book, and this very likely was not what the author intended, was that when I've had a really stressed out day and just want to read 'Hello' magazine, I find myself turning to this little gem and enter this alternative world and all my stresses just go away. Enviromment is a very trendy word but it takes a very clever little boots to explain and sell this to me.
on 7 July 2010
Well written and presented book in inimitable Burnett style - he is a veteran of the anarcho/ vegan/ DIY culture scene and a great thinker to boot. His take on permaculture results in an easy entry book, showing the complex philosophy of permaculture in easy to understand terms, and providing inspiration both for newbies and permies with some experience under their belts. Nice one!
on 7 July 2010
Excellent well-presented guide to the principles and practices of permaculture, in a friendly, accessible and homely style as befits the subject!

A delight all round, packed with the philposophy of permaculture along with practical examples of what you can do to change your life (and those around you) for the better.

Although it is entitled a beginner's guide I love coming back to this delightful booklet as it is such an inspiring and uplifting read, with beautiful hand drawn illustrations.
on 8 January 2010
When I first read 'Permaculture: A Beginners Guide', I was a true permaculture newbie. I'd heard the word, and knew about herb spirals, but that was about it. I wanted to know more about this fascinating way to design sustainable and productive gardens (and more!) and am so glad I stumbled upon Graham Burnett's helpful and friendly book because it is the perfect introduction to permaculture.

With his years of practical permaculture experience showing on every page, you know that Graham is 'walking the walk' rather than 'talking the talk', which gives you the confidence to take in these news ideas. His illustrations are entertaining and the 'hand made' ethos of the book makes it completely unintimidating for the uninitiated.

Years on, Graham's book is still one of my favourites and is regularly pulled out when I want to look something up - the information it contains is pertinent and well presented and easy to find. Even though I am no longer a newbie, I dig it out when I need to feel inspired, and it never fails to work.
on 7 June 2012
As someone who had heard the word 'permaculture', liked the sound of it but knew little else, this gem of a book has explained the basic principles of it very clearly to me. Originally, I was looking for a book which explained the permaculture principles of gardening but based on the reviews this book received on Amazon, I decided to invest anyway. It didn't take long to read but has inspired me to look at life a little differently and anything else I do in my garden (and hopefully in other areas of my life) will be more orientated to a permaculture way of thinking.
In my opinion, the book explains and explores the principles of permaculture as a whole. It is clear, easy to read - either from cover to cover or to dip into and has many diagrams and illustrations to explain points made.
I have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone and everyone! Inspiring reading!
on 8 December 2013
This is a great little book, and I recommend buying it, but there are other suppliers, (easy to find via google! ) who uphold the ethics of permaculture and pay their taxs!
on 29 December 2012
A really nicely produced little guide to the basics of permaculture that utilises an easy to follow 'graphic novel' style format, a bit like those 'Beginners Guides' documentary comic books that were published a few years ago. I really enjoyed the way that Graham has used a mixture of line drawings, diagrams and characters using speech bubbles to explain permaculture ethics and principles, and how these can be applied to situations like food growing, gardening, community building, green building and Transition Towns. It's presented in a way that makes the subject easy to understand without being patronising, although it doesn't go into alot of depth on any one subject. This is a good thing though as it keeps to the point without getting confusing as is sometimes the case with some other permaculture books I've seen, and there are plenty of pointers for those who do want more information or further reading. I also really liked the colour photo section which shows a number of practical permaculture projects in action, a nice little touch that shows what real people are achieving and makes you think "I could do that!"
If you want an easy to digest guide to what permaculture is all about, this is the book I'd recommend.
VINE VOICEon 3 February 2012
Given as a gift and enjoyed by the reader.

This is a beginners guide so don' expect huge depth but this is a method of gardening - if you are a keen gardener or want to be one then this is a cheap introduction to saving you time and backache.

Permaculture: A Beginners Guide

At £8.00 it much much cheaper than a visit to the osteopath.