5.0 out of 5 stars a must read to understand permaculture
I first read graham's book when I knew very little about permaculture. This book gave me a real.understanding about the ethics and practice of UK permaculture. It has an accessible style and is an easy way to understand heavy socio-environmental concepts. Recommended read.
Published on 7 July 2010 by Mr. Martin Oswin

3.0 out of 5 stars More for teens who struggle reading perhaps... 3 Stars Just.
I would first and foremost like to say that I applaud any book that helps impart information to anyone in meaningful way. As a trainer and speaker; I love that people seek to learn new things and are challenged to leap from the place of being ignorant on an issue or topic to becoming well informed and outstanding in a new concept or skill set.

Sadly though for...
Published 24 months ago by D. S. Trees

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read to understand permaculture, 7 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional guide, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
I am no expert in this area, I'm a novice and this guide has been of tremendous help. Its very functional not only in its material but in its actual physical sense, fitting neatly into a pocket and so available for reference out there where you need it.

Many books in this area make the assumption that you have a good understanding already and they have lost me before I start. This guide gives every one something, from the complete beginner to the expert. I showed it the other day to someone with a lot of knowledge in the area and he immediately found something that he didn't know and that he could put into practice very quickly.

What I also like is that this isnt a book just for the country garden, its an urban space guide as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goody It's Graham Gardner!, 7 July 2010
Stephen Michael Dobson "Steve" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
I am what is known as some what of a lazy slut and my idea of saving the enviromment is to drink more wine to create more bottles to recycle.

Hmmm Permaculture...I haven't got a clue so I read it and was very pleasantly surprised! Mister Burnett has a gift for making the complex and, lets face it rather boring, easy and interesting. For a complete consumer junkie like myself I was drawn into the conversational, non patronising style and it's true, I read it from cover to cover.

The art work is akin to cartoon and woodcut and this 'DIY' Ethos is a key factor of a really interesting book written in a way I could understand and actually recount sections afterwards.

My highlights were how a cup of tea is made industrially versus the much simpler permaculture cuppa, the zones and the section about weeds. I just used to fill my garden with garden centre friviolites, but now I know a bit about 'weeds' I think I am not so concerned about manacured perfection (unlike my nails) and this is a handy little referance book for when I go out to potter around.

The best thing about this little book, and this very likely was not what the author intended, was that when I've had a really stressed out day and just want to read 'Hello' magazine, I find myself turning to this little gem and enter this alternative world and all my stresses just go away. Enviromment is a very trendy word but it takes a very clever little boots to explain and sell this to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Permaculture: A Beginners Guide, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
Well written and presented book in inimitable Burnett style - he is a veteran of the anarcho/ vegan/ DIY culture scene and a great thinker to boot. His take on permaculture results in an easy entry book, showing the complex philosophy of permaculture in easy to understand terms, and providing inspiration both for newbies and permies with some experience under their belts. Nice one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical permaculture in practice, 8 Jan 2010
Emma Cooper (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
When I first read 'Permaculture: A Beginners Guide', I was a true permaculture newbie. I'd heard the word, and knew about herb spirals, but that was about it. I wanted to know more about this fascinating way to design sustainable and productive gardens (and more!) and am so glad I stumbled upon Graham Burnett's helpful and friendly book because it is the perfect introduction to permaculture.

With his years of practical permaculture experience showing on every page, you know that Graham is 'walking the walk' rather than 'talking the talk', which gives you the confidence to take in these news ideas. His illustrations are entertaining and the 'hand made' ethos of the book makes it completely unintimidating for the uninitiated.

Years on, Graham's book is still one of my favourites and is regularly pulled out when I want to look something up - the information it contains is pertinent and well presented and easy to find. Even though I am no longer a newbie, I dig it out when I need to feel inspired, and it never fails to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a beginner's guide, 7 July 2010
ingrid (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
Excellent well-presented guide to the principles and practices of permaculture, in a friendly, accessible and homely style as befits the subject!

A delight all round, packed with the philposophy of permaculture along with practical examples of what you can do to change your life (and those around you) for the better.

Although it is entitled a beginner's guide I love coming back to this delightful booklet as it is such an inspiring and uplifting read, with beautiful hand drawn illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, unethical supplier?, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
This is a great little book, and I recommend buying it, but there are other suppliers, (easy to find via google! ) who uphold the ethics of permaculture and pay their taxs!

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opener, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
Great little beginner's book if you are looking at learning how to live off the land. Some very interesting illustrations so look throughit before showing your children!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
As someone who had heard the word 'permaculture', liked the sound of it but knew little else, this gem of a book has explained the basic principles of it very clearly to me. Originally, I was looking for a book which explained the permaculture principles of gardening but based on the reviews this book received on Amazon, I decided to invest anyway. It didn't take long to read but has inspired me to look at life a little differently and anything else I do in my garden (and hopefully in other areas of my life) will be more orientated to a permaculture way of thinking.
In my opinion, the book explains and explores the principles of permaculture as a whole. It is clear, easy to read - either from cover to cover or to dip into and has many diagrams and illustrations to explain points made.
I have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone and everyone! Inspiring reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars BOUGHT AS A PRESENT and well received, 3 Feb 2012
Bruce Boogie (Stroud UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Permaculture: A Beginners Guide (Paperback)
Given as a gift and enjoyed by the reader.

This is a beginners guide so don' expect huge depth but this is a method of gardening - if you are a keen gardener or want to be one then this is a cheap introduction to saving you time and backache.

Permaculture: A Beginners Guide

At £8.00 it much much cheaper than a visit to the osteopath.

Permaculture: A Beginners Guide
Permaculture: A Beginners Guide by Brigit Strawbridge (foreword) (Paperback - 1 Dec 2008)