on 31 July 2012
A truly enthralling read for all diving enthusiasts. Being somewhat of a novice in this area and definitely not from a medical background, I found Dr Firth and Julian Eden's collection of Q&A's insightful, educational and very entertaining! One of the only books on the topic that I could find that was actually aimed at the diver and did not overwhelm the reader with heavy medical language that can be confusing for those outside of the profession to understand. I would definitely recommend this book to any scuba diver, whether new or seasoned, as it gives you a very comprehensive and reliable overview of all your usual diving queries. Would be a good resource to have on liveaboards and at dive clubs.
on 4 December 2012
I read the first chapter of this book while waiting at my GP for treatment for an inner ear infection post diving....oh the irony! This is perfect, the right kind of humour mixed with all the info you think you may ever need. It makes for compelling reading, to see just what the next question might bring and is neatly spilt into relevant areas. These dive docs find where they can, ways for you to get into the water...
Any diver of any level can make use of this book - plain english for all your worries = happy diving :-)
on 24 April 2012
I really enjoyed this little book. I'm a - strictly amateur - SCUBA enthusiast and I'm conscious of the sport's health implications. I picked up this book at the recent Dive Show in London. It's a great read. Informative, clear and the medical details are written in a way anyone can understand. A cool new addition to any diver's library. Nice one London Diving Chamber! I'm putting it in my backpack when I go to Oz this summer.
on 13 March 2013
There's nothing worse than not diving. But if that is because you are ill or have some malady that prevents you from descending through higher pressures then it can be soul destroying. Few doctors really understand divers and diving medicine.
But these authors do. And with a wry wit and charm they can bring a smile to a depressed divers face.
A brilliant book written by doctors but for the diver to understand.
on 3 May 2012
I was doing my Advanced PADI last week, and had a couple of health questions to do with diving.
My Instructor had this book and used it for reference. Having stolen a glance myself, as I am in the health sector, this has got to be the best textbook ever. A fun, easy and informative read for any diver!
on 28 May 2012
If you are after an informative and enjoyable book then this is the one for you. Obviously written by people who `know their stuff', this text provides clear concise answers to a whole host of questions. Both well seasoned and novice divers alike will do well to have a copy to hand.
on 12 October 2012
Dr Firth is the resident Doctor at the London dive chamber, making him one of a handful of doctors world wide who sees hardly anyone who isn't a diver. He also does my HSE medical for diving at work. The book is very complete and written with an entertaining style.

But. Anyone wishing to dive really needs to look at the list of conditions which are contra-indications for diving and if they have any of them they still need to get something from a doctor saying that doesn't amount to a reason not to dive. The book won't be enough.

Still, every dive club, shop and boat should have a copy of this for "I feel like this ... do I need to see the doctor" and "This isn't on the list, does it mean I shouldn't dive" questions.
on 26 October 2014
Being somewhat of an old fart I find that I use this book for reference more and more these days! It has never let me down and has always answered all my questions and more. I have an outstanding GP but with the greatest of respect to him his knowledge of pressure related physiology is limited (as you would expect). Reference to this book enables me to ask him the right questions.
The book is very well written and, considering the subject matter, is an easy read which is a glowing testimony to the authors who manage to intertwine the technical stuff with a cracking sense of humour.
I would say that this book is a must read for anyone who ventures below the surface. I cannot recomend it highly enough.
on 13 May 2014
I have enjoyed this immensely, not only incredibly informative but utterly entertaining. Dr Firth clearly knows his stuff, and all the first hand experiences give incredible buoyancy to a book that surely emerges from the rest. beautifully designed, clear and concise, with simple accessible information that will please the expert and the novice. As an ex navy diver I wish i had this when I was diving in dangerous zones, as a media diver it helps dispels some myths that are still doing the rounds. Buy it and recommend it without thinking twice, my son who is 17 also enjoyed it immensely, especially for the humor. Safe diving and no bubbles please. (rebreather diver)
on 10 August 2012
An entertaining read, which as well as being informative is also written with humour and consequently of use to to the diver with a non medical background as well as those familiar with diving medicine.