on 9 February 2011
As the book isn't yet available from Amazon, I bought one from the author's website.

What a fabulous read!!! What an eye-opener!! What an incredible amount of invaluable information!! What wonderful insights it provided to help me understand more clearly what life was like for my ancestors.

I knew very little about the relationship between the Church and the government or even properly about townships, parishes and counties. I simply could not comprehend why tracing my family was proving to be such a difficult task! I have been badly bruised in my search and have had to make fresh starts many times in my quest for the truth. Thanks to this book, I have new skills, broader horizons, a more critical eye, a fresh understanding and renewed zeal to carry me forward in my family history project. I am grateful to the author for sharing her vast knowledge, experience and insight. I, for one, truly appreciate it
on 12 April 2011
This is a superb book and I cannot recommend it too highly. The author is extremely experienced and is a national figure in family history with decades of experience. She writes clearly and in a pleasant and light-hearted way and is never patronising. I hadn't realised how many traps I had fallen into in my own research although I was conscious of having reached several dead ends which had stumped me. This book has given me pointers on how to circumvent those pitfalls and has given me a wealth of ideas of new fields to research and previously unthought-of records to consult which should certainly help me out of the `pitfalls' and enable me to circumvent the previous dead ends. Although the author says that this isn't a book on "how to do your family tree", there is no question I can think of in family history which this book doesn't answer and it has certainly given my researches a new lease of life!

I, also, located the book on its own website but am pleased to see that it has since become available through Amazon - this should help to ensure that the book reaches the wider audience that it so richly deserves.
on 1 December 2014
This book was not what I expected. I had expected a series of magazine articles put together to make a book. The book cover suggests something light and colourful but what I got was something far more weighty and extremely valuable.

As a reasonably experienced family historian, this book has helped me to re-evaluate my research to date and pointed out areas that should be re-visited. It's also shown me which areas of family history I need to develop further knowledge of.

The 25 chapters cover many aspects of family history research. I read the book cover to cover, learned a great deal and will refer back to many chapters in the future.
on 6 January 2012
This book was one of my Christmas presents - and possibly the best!! It is so informative about all aspects of family history research and a real help to realising where and how we could all go wrong. It should be in every family historian's library.