on 18 February 2011
I was waiting for the second book with exercises and bought it a few weeks ago. The clear structure and multitude of exercises along with the actor's reading were of immense help to develop sentence rhythm and intonation. I recommend to listen to the CD-s and repeat. It's simple and efficient. The first book "Get Rid of Your Accent" which I bought two years ago was very helpful to practice English long vowels and articulate the consonants and this one compliments it.
on 22 March 2012
An accent can be a fundamental aspect of how you communicate and how your personality comes across. I don't believe you should necessarily lose or change your native accent. However, being an actress from Dutch heritage working in England, it is of great importance to have the asset to sound believably `English'. `Get Rid Of Your Accent' was a great help with the technicalities of RP. However, even after mastering the individual sounds, I still found myself sounding slightly `different' in conversations. I couldn't quite capture what exactly was the cause. This is when the second book became my bible.

This book teaches the dynamics of the language in a clear and specific way, which I found very interesting and accessible. Also, it's displays the eccentricities of the UK culture in a n entertaining manner using great excerpts of poetry, texts and casual dialogue. I feel the book has given me the opportunity to be able to blend into English society more naturally. This has given me much more confidence, both in my personal and professional life. I greatly recommend both books and I kid you not : both books live in my handbag.

Get Rid of Your Accent: Advanced Level Pt. 2: The English Speech Training Manual (Part 2)
on 8 May 2012
I bought the first book by these authors "Get Rid of your Accent, Part One" three years ago and I found it most helpful for my articulation and learning the difference between voiced and unvoiced consonants. I particularly loved the verses, tongue-twisters and little poems, which are fun and very effective! A few months ago I bought this Part Two book and I found so many useful things I didn't know and that are absolutely essential to sound more English. For example, I used to separate all words in a phrase or sentence, because I thought it will make my speech clearer. From this book I learned that English liaise words and glide from one word to another. I highly recommend both books for all who want to achieve the best results in a short period of time. I learned the techniques of how to modulate my voice using 4Ps (Power, Pitch, Pace and Pause) which was tremendous for my public speeches. I highly recommend both books for all who want to achieve remarkable results in a short period of time.

Beate, Austrian expatriate
on 27 February 2013
I had practiced half of the first volume of this series. The second part seems to be more advanced. You can even receive a voucher from the authors to get cheaper lessons in London with them! :)
on 21 October 2014
I bought this book on a whim, just like almost every book I purchase, so in a way I had no actual references of what it had in store.

I must confess to being a bit disappointed after a first quick look, to me it seemed too short, a pamphlet compared to the other book on pronunciation I already had (the fêted Cambridge advanced pronunciation in use). I thought there was nothing this one could actually offer, being overshadowed by the more professional-looking and sizable larger Cambridge's book.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taken in by the title. Marketing executives will brand a product as tantalisingly as possible to rack up a few sales but I was fully aware this book is a pronunciation course and not a magic nostrum. I'm deeply sorry to tell you there's no substitute for hard work.

Whereas the book covers contents that Cambridge's pronunciation in use series have taught me, this book's approach won me over quite soon. Unlike the first, it's not so weighty and thorough and instead this one goes straight to the point.

As an add-on, it often draws on funny -and hellishly hard- tongue-twisters to challenge even the most advanced students, and sentences include a wide range of English idioms and colloquialisms that you may as well learn along the way. That's what I call added value, and all in a small booklet! Some other readers have noted how well it feels to have the chance to listen to the name of English cities and emblematic places pronounced, too. I didn't mind about this too much, but I suppose it's another of its fortes.

Once again, I don't intend to disparage other authors or works -I love Cambridge's pronunciation in use-, but I personally favour a more minimalist and practical approach, and Get Rid of your Accent does the trick for me.

If you know what you're buying, and if you're willing to work your socks off to improve your pronunciation, fetch it already!
on 17 October 2014
After so much improvement of my accent with the help of the first book, I was excited to try the part two, to help me even further. It helped me reach the next level as it is written in a way that is more detailed but easy to understand. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their everyday communication, and particularly fluency.
on 17 May 2013
It's an interesting book and it has worked for me as i wasn't aware that I pronounce wrongly for certain words, after part 1 and 2 I feel that my ears are better trained to differentiate what sounds wrong and what sounds right.
on 30 January 2014
Although I have learned English for years, still I cannot master one or two sound. From this book, I have learned how to overcome this problem. It is a valuable book. I will highly recommend it.
on 31 August 2015
Good quality and very educational. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in educational aspects of it. Thank you
on 19 September 2015
I recommend this book for all people who want to improve their speech in English.