5.0 out of 5 stars The female PC David Copperfield
So funny; I sat and giggled the entire time I was reading it (i.e. in the bath, drying my hair, trying to cook - which is not easy with a book in your hand..... My partner, who is not in the police, looked at me like I had gone quite mad. She's got the ridiculousness of the job spot on. And don't think she's kidding about the bureaucratic hoops we have to jump through...
Published on 14 Sep 2007 by British bobby

2.0 out of 5 stars A Trace Too Much
Having read the foreward and noted all 11 reviews to date had awarded a 5 star rating, my expectations were high. The first few chapters started well and I found myself chuckling like the other reviewers. However, the more I got into the book, the more repetitive it became. For sure the levels of bureaucracy, procedural madness and political correctness beggar belief, but...
Published on 29 Dec 2008 by M. Jones

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny but true (mostly) stuff, 25 Jun 2012
This is a funny and ironic look at what our Police force have to go through every time they start work, it you want to know why we have so many toerags on our streets then this is the book for you...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun. And rather worrying, 15 Jun 2012
I've read a couple of other books by police bloggers. This is definitely a useful further take on the subject. Bloggs has a really rather witty, deadpan style.

At one stage in the book, she gets together with another WPC and wonders if there will ever be a day when we can just "forget about gender and get on with it" or words to that effect. Alas you won't be allowed to forget about it because she mentions the fact that she's a woman in every chapter, in case you've forgotten and missed the subtlety of the picture on the front cover.

Not only did I laugh out loud an awful lot with this book, I was also really worried by what I read. She makes a convincing case (familiar from Inspector Gadget and others) that convoluted and impractical rules are being forced on police officers, that entirely disregard their experience or common sense.

It's all about accountability. And domestic violence. And hate crimes of course. Someone has designated a case a hate crime before Bloggs gets to check it all out, and wouldn't you know it: when it turns out not to be a racist attack, she finds it very hard indeed to get this removed from the database system.

Similarly, with a clearly bogus Domestic Violence report, she finds herself having to PROVE that no violence took place before it is removed from the database, this turns out to be quite difficult.

Why, It's almost as though pressure is being put on the police to record crimes incorrectly so their area's force can submit reports that will be seen favourably by political superiors...

Given that we're not sure what %age of crimes the police successfully deal with, and the evidence here about the ludicrous way in which crimes are counted, I'm forced to conclude that the crime stats we hear and read are pure nonsense. Essential reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of an on-call girl, 23 April 2012
Well, who would have believed it??? This is a great 'enlightening' read. I couldn't put it down most of the time. A really very interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY FUNNY, 13 April 2012
Andy (Worcester) - See all my reviews
Initially I thought this was just another fly on the wall police story in the Copperfield Gadget vain. However, after reading the first few pages I could not stop myself laughing out loud as the book is so funny. There is also a very serious and disturbing side to the book with humour interspersed to lighten the load. Life at the moment is difficult for anybody in the police force and the impression seems to be even more so for a woman. However, female police officers do not want special treatment and work even harder to be accepted as one of the team. I therefore admire them tremendously and fully recommend reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 8 Mar 2012
I've been using my Kindle for the past year and this is the best and funniest book so far. I love the irony, satire and cynicism and it is a bit of an eye-opener as to what goes on in the average police force. I shall now start following PC Bloggs' blog now and look for further books written by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest account of Policing in the UK, 17 Nov 2011
I have been in the 'JOB' for the last twenty years, this is a horribly real look at modern Policing in this Country. We are constantly stagnated by over indulgence with paperwork (electric form filling) and arse covering. There are places which I do not whole heartedly agree with what has been written, but I put that down to the fact that being a traffic Officer, I am still living in the ether of the traffic world, (I drive fast cars and choose which RTC to attend, LOL). Anyway this book is hilarious more so if you know that it is the real deal, the MOP's should be scared really scared.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging writing - just the right amount of witty and sarcastic, 3 Nov 2011
I'll start by saying I know nothing about the inner workings of our police department, that said I both really enjoyed and understood the book.

I felt that the anecdotes and characters presented were very amusing, and at times I had to remind myself that these are representations of real people, real cases and real bureaucracy gone mad! I shall definitely have more sympathy for our police force in future. The writing style was extremely engaging - the right amount of wit and sarcasm and I couldn't put it down. The side-story with Will was nice too and gave the story a nice through-line, although it was resolved rather fast which prompted me to turn back, wondering if I'd missed something!

My only qualm with the kindle version is there is a glossary at the end that you can't easily access throughout the book! Although easy to follow, a few departments and abbreviations cropped up that I couldn't quite remember and I think the glossary would have helped.

Overall a very fun read - recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A witty eye-opener into our Police Force, 24 Oct 2011
I thought that maybe some of the stories in this book were far fetched or exaggerated....after asking 3 friends in the Police it turns out IT'S ALL TRUE. This writer has a fantastic style of writing, sarcastic at times but also funny, articulate, and never pulling any punches.

This is a must read book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for all politicians, 17 Oct 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a book containing the day to day experiences of a female police officer. It contains graphic details of what it is like to work with the general public and just how obnoxious some of them can be. She also highlights the frustrations caused by the bureaucracy forced upon them and how these can prevent the ordinary officer from doing the job that they actually want to do.

I'm sure that there are those that will consider this to be a work of fiction; but from personal experience I know that what you see in this book is merely just the tip of the iceberg. So many police officers these days are pointing out the issues that they face, and yet politicians of all stripes simply fail to understand the problems that they have caused by their constant meddling and incessant demand for monitoring and achievement of artificial targets.

When you read this book, you could very easily become frustrated and depressed at the stupidity of the situation that currently exists, and it would be all too easy to think that nothing could be done to fix the problems. However, within the pages of this book (and others like it) there is information that could easily be used to make the police more effective; if the will were there.

I found it well written, easy to dip in and out of, or read in a single go. There are some comments that some will find offensive, but I would suggest that the average person would read this and feel a considerable sympathy for people that are doing a very tough job under quite trying conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best police book yet, 1 Oct 2011
Dr. K L. McCann (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read several other work-based books by police (I dont need to name them as you probably already work out which ones I mean) as well as by other front line and NHS staff I have to say this was by far my favourite. Maybe it's the female perspective showing a more human side, maybe I just feel it's better written, but I would highly recommend it and am awaiting a sequel!

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line
Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line by E.E. Bloggs (Paperback - 27 Sep 2007)
7.99