4.0 out of 5 stars Reaching out
This second edition of the Irish Family and Local History book was eagerly anticipated and did not disappoint. I have been researching my Irish ancestors for several years now and am looking for articles on Cavan, Meath and Westmeath. Sadly I am usually disappointed as most articles seem to be regarding the West coast.

Maybe by version 3 I may find something...
Published 15 months ago by annmarie

2.0 out of 5 stars A series of articles rather than a book
Published 11 months ago by Pester

2.0 out of 5 stars A series of articles rather than a book, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Irish Family and Local History: Handbook 2 (Paperback)
I assumed that this was a revision to the earlier Handbook 1, which I took to be a guide to Irish Family research - however, it turned out to be a selection of articles on sometimes obscure points of Irish family history, e.g. 'Harry Furniss: Illustrator'; there were articles such as 'My ancestor and the Sudan War 1884' by the editor, which had nothing whatsoever to do with Irish history. There were still some relevant articles, but nothing like a considered book on the topic. Think of it as buying a magazine (it also has loads of advertisements too!) on Irish Family history which may be rather variable in content and style, some news and some merely opinion or anecdote. Would be great if they did a preview so that you could at least see the contents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reaching out, 8 April 2013
This review is from: The Irish Family and Local History: Handbook 2 (Paperback)

Maybe by version 3 I may find something that I don't already know, however, what I've seen so far is helpful and useful in bringing the Ireland of my ancestors closer.

The Irish Family and Local History: Handbook 2
The Irish Family and Local History: Handbook 2 by Elizabeth Blatchford (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
9.53