5.0 out of 5 stars Quality not quantity
I always loathed camping as a child. As a 40-something adult, financial circumstances have forced me to overcome my dislike. Thankfully, the clothing and kit available these days make it much more bearable (by the way, check out the novel but useful gear on [...])

A trawl on Amazon led me to Cool Camping and, based on the other reviews, I got a copy...
Published on 25 Dec 2006 by E. Ives

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
If you're looking for an enjoyable way to learn about some gorgeous camp sites in the UK then this is a pretty good place to start. Its focus on quality of experience rather than facilities is a breath of fresh air in the rather middle England world of campsite directories.

Having said that, the book is a good start but it's by no means perfect. The authors...
Published on 19 Mar 2007 by Dr. D. J. R. Atkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality not quantity, 25 Dec 2006
E. Ives "e-clectica" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)

It has definitely lived up to expectations. OK, maybe there are only 40 campsites featured and they are clustered in the furthest places in England. But I haven't so far found one that looked like a duff inclusion. Each site is described very well in lots of photos and words to get across the special features and character of each one, and there's a summary for each including upsides and downsides, costs, nearest decent pub, things to do on a rainy day, and alternative sites if it's full. There's also a 'directory' of sites with headings such as 'Surf's Up', 'Stunning Views', 'Good for first timers', 'Something Different'. And it will take me quite a while to get round 40 good sites, so I really don't care that the book doesn't contain hundreds. It would only make choosing more difficult still!

So I'm very happy with my book and the minute there's a version out for Scotland or Wales, it will be on my Wish List...

5.0 out of 5 stars 38 To Go, 12 Jun 2006
Stu (Rye Common) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)
Apart from the cracking pictures, Cool Camping has all the things you need to know; prices, facilities, what to do when it rains (or snows, hails, etc) and most importantly, the nearest pub.

Highly recomended for first-timers and those regular campers that are looking for something less run-of-the-mill.

The best thing is someone has written in the front of mine ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool!, 20 Sep 2007
P. Alington (UK) - See all my reviews
After many years of Eurocamp holidays in France when our children were younger, we started to think about getting our own tent and heading off to more interesting places here in the UK as well as abroad. We have definitely had our fill of 'holiday camp' sites in France.

I would have to say that the Cool Camping books were what finally tipped us over the edge into getting fully equipped and heading off into the wilds. Talk about inspiration! These books are fantastic (we have the Wales and England books - both of which are great). We selected a great site on Pembrokeshire coast on the basis of Cool Camping's recommendation, and had a wonderful short break at the end of the school holidays.

What we love most about the books is the slightly bohemian, 'green' quirkiness of it all - from small 2-Teepee sites and classic Airflow motorhomes, through to sites at the most beautiful locations in Britain, all with a raw rustic edge that makes getting away from it all in a tent so invigorating compared to any other sort of holiday.

Get inspired - get Cool Camping!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best camping book by far, 25 Jun 2007
A. L. Griffin (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved the original Cool Camping so much that I bought the glove box version as well as the new Scotland and Wales books. They are fantastic - written by people who understand that camping should not be a soulless experience in campsites rated according to laundry facilities and shops rather than breathtaking views or a friendly atmosphere.

Although the books are undeniably attractive, with loads of photos to give you a feel for the places, they are also informative. The write-ups are honest, highlighting the downsides as well as the many benefits, and it is easy to make an informed choice about which sites are likely to suit you. Helpfully there are details on the nearest pubs, places to visit and things to do if it rains, clear directions and even alternative sites if the ones reviewed are fully booked.

Just reading Cool Camping is enough to inspire you to take start packing, but the reality is even better. My husband and I only started camping last summer, but we've already visited several of the sites, and have planned our summer holidays around more: the only problem is how to fit in all the places we've marked in the book before the camping season ends... It's such a relief to find writers with a refreshing philosophy on camping: Cool Camping has saved us hours of trawling the internet for campsites with as few facilities (and caravans) as possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 2 Aug 2007
I'm feeling strangely drawn to camping at the moment. I'm trying to fight it, but it's no good. I've bought this book, and it's only made the feeling stronger. Look at those lovely photos - can I really camp there? By that lake? Lovely. And there's a gastropub round the corner? Perfect. True, there are only 40 sites in the book, as they've only included the best, but I only plan on going camping once this year. So I guess this book will do me for the next 40 years! Inspiring stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been waiting for, 22 May 2007
A guide book for proper campers. Prior to buying the book I'd visited several of the campsites in the book. Their reviews exactly fit with my own experiences of each site. I therefore trust the Cool Campers to send me on many more memorable camping trips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camping just got cooler, 5 May 2006
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)
Cool Camping does exactly what it says on the cover - makes camping cool. From someone who thought camping was one step up from sleeping on a park bench, Cool Camping has opened my eyes and inspired me to give camping a go. It features great campsites from around England, each with something special to offer, like Vintage Vacations on the Isle of Wight where you get to stay in shiny American "trailers". Not exactly camping but something very different and memorable.

There's plenty of real camping too. The photos are great and give a sense of what it's like to be there.

I would highly recommend this for camping experts and novices or even if you just want a interesting coffee table read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camping that's cool, 1 Jun 2006
Katie (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)
Great book that really helped me choose a fab campsite. Just got back from Ayre Holiday Park in St Ives where, although the weather wasn't that great, the view really was fantastic! It was so nice to stay in a campsite with high class facilities, just as the book (and pics!) reports. Will definitely be using this book again for our next camping holiday, just a shame it only covers England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this book is great!, 13 Jun 2007
This book was recommended in a couple of different camping articles that I read recently.

I have just flicked through it quickly in my lunch hour and have decided that I would like to visit every campsite listed!!! Cool Camping is full of useful tips for each site along with some of the most amazing photos and views that I have ever seen - some of them are just magical.

The days of naff campsites are officially over, as this book has just become my camping bible! :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi de Hi Campers!, 13 Aug 2006
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)
Great stuff, a campsite guide that leaves out all those average campsites and only includes the very best ones! Simple, yet effective. It's also unlike any of the other guides because it's got loads of beautiful photos so you can see what the campsites are like before you pack your tent and drive across the country. It's definitely not aimed at caravanners, though, this is for tent people who want to camp in drop-dead gorgeous, stunning, countryside locations. An original idea, executed with style. Bookshop Bob rates this as a 'Buy'!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cool Camping: England
Cool Camping: England by Jonathan Knight (Paperback - 12 April 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01