‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a standard reference for serious Bowie followers, 10 Dec 2010
Stefano Galli (italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974) (Paperback)
I can understand why the previous reviews were not of great help: lack of description.

You should know before buying this book that it is a chronology, therefore you cannot expect massive entries on (all) the various subjects considered; but the one about the "Ziggy album" cover is definitely extended.

This having been said, the older ones among Bowie fans will remember that Cann wrote a chronology almost thirty years ago which, for those times, was very helpful.
What you get today is an improved version of the above, with an abundance of pictures (of memorabilia as well), which will probably have a follow up for the years from 1974 onwards.
At the end of the book you also find a listing of live shows, televisions appearances, and an essential bibliography.

I think it will become, together with the acclaimed Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie the standard, and essential, reference text for bowiephiles.

For a proper biography you will have to look somewhere else (by using Cann and Pegg bibliographies, by the way).

Worth the buy, and you might also try to have one copy of the limited edition as well (because there is a limited edition).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowie Bowie !!, 26 Dec 2010
L. Din (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
WOW !!! Having been a Bowie Fan for 40 years !!!This is the BEST Bowie Book..so many unseen pics and memorabilia.I spent most of Xmas Day engrossed...it even beats the IPAD as my fave 2010 Christmas pressie.The Author deserves a HUGE GOLD Star for all his hard work putting this together.Hope we get 1974 to ??? next..that would definately go on the 2011 Santa List..You will not be dissapointed...
Now, can someone out there do a MARC BOLAN version for all us middle aged Rex Children.. that really would be the Bees Knees !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars King B, 7 Jan 2012
D. M. Deeks (London) - See all my reviews
There's nothing much I can add, other than another 5 star review. I'm loving this book - the very early part of Bowie's career has rarely been given this much attention, and the detail is enthralling for fans. It's not just lists and dates - the anecdotes and clippings are priceless.

Beautifully presented too, with lots of rare photos.

I hope some follow ups detailing Bowie's US and European years are in the pipeline!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative and essential, 3 Nov 2011
Packed with exhaustively-researched detail and decorated with countless rare photos and other ephemera, Kevin Cann's flawless Bowie book will delight both the hardcore fan and the fairweather friend. You need no other Bowie books than this and Nicholas Pegg's COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE. I only hope Kevin Cann is now working on the next volume, picking up the story after Bowie moves to America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and astonishing!, 7 Dec 2010
Cann has created an absolutely fantastic book on Bowie. I have more or less all books written on Bowie and I rate Cann's book as the best, together with Pegg's book! Cann has unearthed a wealth of new information. What I particularly like is his information on early recordings of songs like "Diamond Dogs", "1984" (during Aladdin Sane sessions), which gives an indication of how projects and ideas developed over time. I'm also fascinated with information on many songs I was not even aware of. I'm also impressed by his ability to trace influences for album covers, song lyrics, music, etc. Having written a few books on Prince, including The Vault (which used an approach similar to Pegg's The Complete David Bowie), I have an idea of how much research and work has gone into Cann's book.

Pernil

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book that every Bowie fan must buy now!, 5 Jan 2011
Wow! This has to be the best-ever book about David Bowie's early years that's ever been published.

For anyone who became a fan back in the early days and thinks they've seen it all, think again! Packed with rare photos and press clippings, the book is a fantastic record of Bowie's life up to 1974.

I didn't think there could be many Bowie photos from the 60s and 70s that I'd not seen before but boy was I wrong!

The chronological presentation of the details (and there's lots of 'em) makes for a compelling read.

All the facts are here, with details of all the tours and radio/TV appearances.

A brilliant book and I look forward to any follow-up covering the later years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup, the other reviewers are right: just buy this now, 26 Dec 2010
A. Newell (London, England) - See all my reviews
I haven't even read this book properly yet, just flicked through the pages, but the sheer number of involuntary 'Blimey, I've not seen that photo before' and 'Wow, I never knew that!' exclamations I made mean that I have no hesitation in giving this 5 stars already. As someone with quite a few Bowie books on my shelves (including about four editions of the only previous Absolute-Must-Have title, Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie) I like to think I know my Bowie Onions, and this really does have new information on every other page. The sheer range of unpublished/unfamiliar imagery is jaw-dropping. I think my favourites are the shots of Bowie on his way to the stage at Glastonbury, wearing what can only be described as a fabulous cape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous book!, 1 Feb 2011
M. Wheeller "eedsud" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This really is an impressive tome! I am a long time Bowie (Ziggy) fan. I thought I knew pretty much everything and certainly heard everything the great man has done. I read it with Youtube up next to me and found a number of songs I'd never come across before. It was compulsive reading... totally addictive. Impressive work in the extreme. Thanks Kevin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Bowie book, 23 Jan 2011
Kevin Cann's Any Day Now is simply the best Bowie book if have ever come across - and I have read quite a few. It is extremely well researched with loads of great photos and memorablia. The text shows great insight and knowledge and you have a clear feeling that no stone has been left unturned. I very much hope Kevin Cann will write another book about the next Bowie era.

5.0 out of 5 stars London Bye Ta-Ta, 11 Jan 2011
Superbly researched and put together although a a daily diary plenty of snippets and anecdotes to keep you attentive. Like all good music books it brings out the sense memory of when and where you were when you first discovered the works and makes you rediscover the original albums.

Like to read his LA years (i bet Bowie would too!!).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974)
Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974) by Kevin Cann (Paperback - 25 Nov 2010)
16.99