‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a standard reference for serious Bowie followers, 10 Dec 2010
Stefano Galli (italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974) (Paperback)
I can understand why the previous reviews were not of great help: lack of description.

You should know before buying this book that it is a chronology, therefore you cannot expect massive entries on (all) the various subjects considered; but the one about the "Ziggy album" cover is definitely extended.

This having been said, the older ones among Bowie fans will remember that Cann wrote a chronology almost thirty years ago which, for those times, was very helpful.
What you get today is an improved version of the above, with an abundance of pictures (of memorabilia as well), which will probably have a follow up for the years from 1974 onwards.
At the end of the book you also find a listing of live shows, televisions appearances, and an essential bibliography.

I think it will become, together with the acclaimed Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie the standard, and essential, reference text for bowiephiles.

For a proper biography you will have to look somewhere else (by using Cann and Pegg bibliographies, by the way).

Worth the buy, and you might also try to have one copy of the limited edition as well (because there is a limited edition).

5.0 out of 5 stars King B, 7 Jan 2012
D. M. Deeks (London) - See all my reviews
There's nothing much I can add, other than another 5 star review. I'm loving this book - the very early part of Bowie's career has rarely been given this much attention, and the detail is enthralling for fans. It's not just lists and dates - the anecdotes and clippings are priceless.

Beautifully presented too, with lots of rare photos.

I hope some follow ups detailing Bowie's US and European years are in the pipeline!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative and essential, 3 Nov 2011
Packed with exhaustively-researched detail and decorated with countless rare photos and other ephemera, Kevin Cann's flawless Bowie book will delight both the hardcore fan and the fairweather friend. You need no other Bowie books than this and Nicholas Pegg's COMPLETE DAVID BOWIE. I only hope Kevin Cann is now working on the next volume, picking up the story after Bowie moves to America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book that every Bowie fan must buy now!, 5 Jan 2011
Wow! This has to be the best-ever book about David Bowie's early years that's ever been published.

For anyone who became a fan back in the early days and thinks they've seen it all, think again! Packed with rare photos and press clippings, the book is a fantastic record of Bowie's life up to 1974.

I didn't think there could be many Bowie photos from the 60s and 70s that I'd not seen before but boy was I wrong!

The chronological presentation of the details (and there's lots of 'em) makes for a compelling read.

All the facts are here, with details of all the tours and radio/TV appearances.

A brilliant book and I look forward to any follow-up covering the later years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie fan? You need to own this book!, 21 Feb 2014
I bought Any Day Now around 6 months after its release. Why I didn't buy it sooner is beyond me!

From the opening pages you are left astounded at the quality and brilliance of the writing, documentation and images within. Even the most ardent Bowie fans will learn something, no, many new things from reading through Any Day Now.

Don't miss the opportunity to read over the early years of Bowie's career in sublime detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY THE BEST BOOK ON BOWIE..., 2 Oct 2011
J. McCarraher "HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE" (Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I picked this up yesterday and was absolutely stunned by the detail packed into this book. It is a chronological day by day account of David's life from childhood to 1974. The detail is incredible. It is packed with loads of first hand accounts and an amazing number of rare photographs. I am a music author but I would struggle to produce such a complete and monumentally brilliant piece of work as this - the time and dedication that went into it is beyond comparism.

This is great as a cover to cover read or to dip into (as I am at the moment).

The best purcahse of the year by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Mar 2011
F. J. Smith (Marlow, Bucks, GB) - See all my reviews
As a Bowie fan of nearly 40 years standing i thought i'd seen every Bowie pic ever taken;i was wrong.Having brought Kevin's original book from years ago i was pleased about the additional digging deep that the man has done;the information is staggering(did you know that Phil Spector was once approached with a view to producing an album?)The book also has loads of rare and previously unseen photos;the ones of Aladdin Sane with open eyes are scary.A BRILLIANT BOOK!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authorative, 10 Feb 2011
S. Fuller - See all my reviews
Being an uber-Bowie fan, there comes a point with Bowie books where you get all the same stories, same photos, again and again.

This really does surprise, with so much in-depth detail I'd never read before, and new photos. An absolute joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yup, the other reviewers are right: just buy this now, 26 Dec 2010
A. Newell (London, England) - See all my reviews
I haven't even read this book properly yet, just flicked through the pages, but the sheer number of involuntary 'Blimey, I've not seen that photo before' and 'Wow, I never knew that!' exclamations I made mean that I have no hesitation in giving this 5 stars already. As someone with quite a few Bowie books on my shelves (including about four editions of the only previous Absolute-Must-Have title, Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie) I like to think I know my Bowie Onions, and this really does have new information on every other page. The sheer range of unpublished/unfamiliar imagery is jaw-dropping. I think my favourites are the shots of Bowie on his way to the stage at Glastonbury, wearing what can only be described as a fabulous cape.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you get one book about Bowie get this one!, 15 Dec 2010
Received my Copy today, and I'm over the moon with it.
So many pictures, yes some are small, but others are bigger.
There is just so much in there, it is a chronology of Bowie life up till 1974.
Fascination info, on his life, recordings, and live performances.
I'm a long time 'fan'.
But lot's of new pictures for me in the book, and a great resource for facts.

I really do hope that Kevin decides to make a book about the years that come after 1974.

:-)

ooh and if you can get the limited edition cause it has so many cool extra's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)

Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974)
Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years (1947-1974) by Kevin Cann (Paperback - 25 Nov 2010)
16.74