Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2010
I'm 13 and this was a great book for me, including the team - the following book in the series - and Blind Beauty by K.M Peyton. If, K.M Peyton is new to you I would recommend her to you because, she's great for children aged 10-14 even adults wouldn't mind her. She's great about horses and writes good plots.
This is a heart braking but tempting and loving book all in one about Ruth Hollis who really wants a pony but, her family don't have enough money. She meets a boy called Peter who helps her out and gives good friendship. Finally she finds a pony for a cheap amount. However, this pony doesn't behave and is really difficult and as Ruth's first horse this is her toughest challenge yet!
If you like a great book about horses, love, passion and adventure this is definitely the book for you and you seriously can't miss it!
This is a lovely introduction to Ruth whose destiny is to fall in love with Pennington, K M Peyton's hero from the Pennington trilogy. Aside from it being a horse story, Ruth desperately looking after a horse in a modern housing estate, adds to her families finacial woes, it puts in place the foundations of her characterfpr when we met her in the Pennington books. The next in the series is The Team which introduces Jonnathon and Peter from Prove yourself a hero, and a Midsummer nights Death. All excellent teenage reading though I have to say I still read again and again long since being a teenager, this is K M Peyton reminding us of all the heartache and unfairness of teenage life love and horses. Please read.
on 23 March 2015
Disclaimer: I'm not the target audience. I first read an excerpt of this book (chapter 3 I believe) in a collection of pony stories when I was about 13. Despite not knowing the rest, it stayed with me. As an adult I will say Fly-by-Night is both typical and atypical of old-fashioned pony stories: it has the impoverished, inexperienced girl who desperately wants a pony; the horrid rich girl who doesn't deserve the one she has; and the resident expert who doesn't help all that much. But it subverts some clichés too.

Ruth Hollis begins the story as an armchair expert on horses. Despite having never ridden a horse before she seems to have little trouble trotting, cantering and balancing in general. Her problems are the family's financial worries and the fact she has to flounder about training a very green young pony by herself (I'm sure I don't need to advise any pony-mad kids that this is a horrible idea). But of course, all works out in the end.

K. M. Peyton is a good writer with some lovely turns of phrase. I recommend this book to younger readers or the nostalgic. :-)
on 7 September 2009
My family realy love this book. It is down to earth and true to life -not just a pony story. I bought this lovely new edition as a replacement as one of our dogs really enjoyed it too.
on 12 September 2007
This is a fantastic story from one of our best writers of 'teen' fiction. K M Peytons books are beautifully written and very real. Ruth, from this book, is your average pony mad girl growing up in a non horsey family. The book highlights her desire and the problems that can occur when an unknowledgeable person aquires a pony. We follow the trials and tribulations and the charcaters, equine and human, grow from strength to strength. The sequel The Team is an even more compelling read!

The Fidra edition is lovely, with the original front cover illustration and a nice introduction by the author herself.
on 9 February 2012
I read this book more than 30 years ago as a child and loved it and read it again and again. Ruth's life is so down to earth and she seemed exactly like me. It also has fabulous drawings by Victor Ambrus and should be on every pony loving child's bookshelf. I would recommend it even as an adult and reread it again last year as I still have the first edition! Still fabulous after all those years.
on 24 June 2013
I hired this from the village library as a kid, - since shut down! - and wanted to read it to my children, there is one scene in a tack shop that is soooo vivid its like being there. I eventually got my first pony at thirteen and this book could be about me. Brilliant.
on 2 December 2008
I read this a long time ago, not just once but again and again. I thought it was out of print and am delighted to find it on Amazon for a re-read. I remember it as a deeply satisfying story that wasn't at all cliched or formulaic. Highly recommended (obviously)!
on 25 July 2014
I had been looking for this book for ages. I had lent my childhood copy and lost it. It's like having an old friend back again. This is a great story for pony mad kids,
on 12 January 2015
Best book ever!!! I could really relate to the story , this is the only horsey book I've found that suits a person older than 12 xx