5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing Demystified!!
I've had an unxplained lifelong fear of water, but have recently learnt how to swim. I've been looking for a book that might help me improve my technique for some time without success, and came across this by chance.
Published on 13 July 2005 by Umm

2.0 out of 5 stars Swimming without stress
As a novice swimmer I was hoping for something more. I didnt really get anything from it. A lot of the book in my opinion focused on people who could already swim. I have been having lessons now for 6 months being a total non swimmer. Whilst I can now swim, Tread water and feel quite relaxed I'm still not quite their. I was hoping this book would have given me that little...
Published on 26 Oct. 2011 by Mr. P. Kenworthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing Demystified!!, 13 July 2005
Umm (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swimming without Stress: Lessons for Land Lovers (Paperback)
Although I could swim I lacked confidence, and was having trouble getting my face in the water. The author's approach to teaching swimming is developing your relationship with water and allowing yourself to trust that the water will support you. This is something that I found really difficult, but I followed the instructions in the first couple of chapters, and slowly but surely they worked.
The advice about breathing is particularly useful. It has completely demystified this for me - it's so simple now - and after just a few weeks I am swimming calmly, and confidently, with my face in the water.
Swimming Without Stress is a wonderful book and I would recommend it to any budding swimmer who wants to improve their confidence and technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8/10 for value and performance 220 Triathlon Magazine, 19 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
220 Triathlon magazine review, August 2005
"Ian Cross sets out to help you improve your swimming by offering a different view of how to approach your aquatic exploits with this book. Cross is a qualified swim teacher and triathlete, so has the experience and qualifications to know exactly what he's talking about.
His book uses the Alexander Technique and looks at how your thinking affects how you function mentally and physically. Parts of the book seem basic for experienced triathlon swimmers, but there's still plenty in it that'll be of interest to even the most seasoned veteran.
Cross looks at all aspects of swimming including technique, breathing, injury prevention, stretching, kit and even offers training schedules. There's a tri-specific chapter that covers training generally and offers tips for anyone training in all three disciplines. It's short and easy to read without any unnecessary fluff, and great for building your confidence and feeling comfortable in the water."
Performance 8
Value 8
Verdict Useful reading for improving swimmers

5.0 out of 5 stars customer feedback on progress after reading book, 19 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
(After first session in the pool after reading the book)
I followed the instructions on breathing with your face in the water and this was very successful as I managed to swim in the middle of 1.2m pool doing this, and also in the slow lane in the 2m pool. The goggles are excellent so far, and I felt very calm.
(One week later ....)
I now understand what you mean about 'making friends with the water'. Never thought this would happen, but it does eventually come. In the past week I have realised that the water will support me and am able to trust it. Your comments in the book about floating are very good and it's helped a lot knowing that I don't need to worry about star floats.
I'm enjoying the book. I think, for me anyway, it's best to use it in stages, and dip in when I need to - then it all starts to become clearer.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Carole

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fan with new confidence, 4 Dec. 2006
Like others who have reviewed this book I had a very uneasy relationship with swimming pools, and would go as fast as I could from one end to the other (before I drowned, which is, you understand on a timed basis!) with my head up to breathe. After just one sesion with this book, I was getting my head down and gliding in breast stroke, after three weeks I have almost completed a length of front crawl. I am always remembering that I need to swim in the water, not on top of it. And I want to go to Wales and be taught by Ian or one of his associates

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clear and Original guide for swimmers of all levels., 10 Jun. 2005
This book was a pleaseure to read, simple yet in its way elegant and expressive, conveying clear messages to the reader on how to improve their technique for the better whether they are a swimmer for pleasure or a budding tri-athlete. Its concise and unambiguos and in an original manner uniting swimming and the discipline of the Alexender Technique to excellent effect. I already feel my swimming improving, making it more relaxed and less of an exertion more of a relaxation session! Great book, well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding and helpful guide, 2 July 2013
W. A. Bevan (London, England) - See all my reviews
As an average swimmer I have tried to improve my techniques so that I could swim better and for longer. I have found this book invaluable as a guide. Ian Cross' approach is focussed on relaxing and taking things step by step (or stroke by stroke!) I was struggling with the front crawl, barely able to finish a length and now I'm confident in swimming 5! For me, this is probably the best and most user-friendly guide of any kind that I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 18 Oct. 2012
This was the first book I bought as part of my get-back-into-swimming plan, and found it an aptly-titled, inspiring, quiet little book full of sound advice on getting on good terms with water. It's comprised of a series of articles published in a triathalon magazine, and is more conceptual than technical - not too much step-by-step stroke analysis, but more information relating to form and breathing, and the use of the Alexander technique to align the head, neck and spine as a basis for correct, relaxed posture when gliding. It deals with front crawl, breaststroke and backstroke only, with emphasis on relaxation and an enjoyment of the swimming experience. Plenty of good technical books out there for in-depth stroke study, but this was a great starting point for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 4 Nov. 2012
Lisa Fairhurst (BLACKPOOL, Lancs, GB) - See all my reviews
The floating techniques worked very well with nervous children and adults. I could see improvements after the first lesson! I would definately recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stress free Swimming for all!, 24 Sept. 2010
Ian Cross uses the Alexander technique to teach swimming, resulting in a gentle and non hurried way to learn/improve your skills/technique/confidence and make friends with the water. This is also excellent for budding triathletes with a training guide at the back. Thanks to Ian's book, I have improved my glide in breast stroke, breathing and back crawl and to relax in the water and trust it to support me. This is an easy to read book which I definately recommend. As for the chap who left that nasty review - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Swimming without stress! Easily explained!, 24 Jun. 2010
Siobhan Monaghan (N.I) - See all my reviews
Easy reading and technique explained in simple terms! just have to put into practice now!

Swimming without Stress: Lessons for Land Lovers
Swimming without Stress: Lessons for Land Lovers by Ian David Cross (Paperback - 1 April 2005)