5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great
Published on 6 Sep 2010 by Teddy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 6 Sep 2010
Teddy (Macclesfield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A CD to Accompany 'Living Well with Pain and Illness' (Audio CD)
I was intending to recommend the book and this CD to one or two clients I have with chronic pain. In all conscience I cannot recommend the CD, although the book is OK and probably worthwhile. The problems with the CD are twofold: I resent having each exercise prefaced by an advertisement suggesting that even after purchasing the book and CD I should now visit her website for more information (and opportunities to purchase?). Secondly, the exercises end very abruptly, often immediately after an instruction to experience/think/focus on something. There is no space to follow the instruction - just the clang of the bell. Really, if she had left out the advertisements, there might have been space for, well, space, and the CD would have been much improved. I would recommend that people with chronic pain/illness read Ms Burch's book, but to use other meditation CD's for instruction in techniques.

2.0 out of 5 stars good exercises, badly structured, 5 May 2011
I bought this CD at the same time as the book it accompanies. The book Living Well with Pain and Illness: The Mindful Way to Free Yourself from Suffering has been a big help, and I thought that listening to the exercises on the CD would help guide my meditation. However, the biggest disappointment I've had is not with the exercises themselves, but that the instructions for each thing to think about or consider are spoken in a constant stream, with little chance for me to actually follow them before the next step is given. For some people, maybe this is not a problem, but I like to be guided through meditation with short periods of silence between instructions so that I have time to reflect. Also, the exercises end a little too abruptly for my liking, again with no chance to sit with the meditation. Maybe this CD would be better if you are running a meditation class, and as a leader would be able to pause the exercises in appropriate places to give people a chance to be mindful.

3.0 out of 5 stars A CD to accompany, but not all the way!, 20 Nov 2010
Frankly I was very disappointed. The title "A CD to accompany..." the book is what it was. It should have been inserted into the back cover. I bought it, shortly after and before reading the book, thinking it would give me the the full monty from in the book but it is in fact a very basic set of exercises which can be downloaded for free (in a slightly different form) from a number of websites. Of course, if you had read the book before buying the CD you would be aware that the longer (and probably more effective) exercises were available for downloading(on the website) - at the cost of another CD. My initial reaction was that "it was a con to get me to buy 2 CDs instead of one". But then I became mindful about the whole thing and realised that it really was a con. Sorry, loved the book, thought it was very helpful, but this was out of order as far as I was concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Oct 2012
As someone with chronic pain, I was in the process of giving up and coping negatively. This book provides helpful information in a kind way. It has helped me pace myself and manage my pain so much more effectively and mindfully ... less really is more! :-D ... Thanks Vidyamala - I look forwrd to future publications. The associated CDs and meditations are amazing, as is the lovliness of Vidyamala's voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is something that works... just try it out for yourself. Its certainly life saving in my experience., 16 Sep 2010
This is effective, clear, and authentic... guided from her own experience and understanding of what it means to live with suffering. If you have read the book you cannot help but be inspired by someone who has suffered deeply and knows what it means to live with pain or illness. Yet out of that suffering has come a wish to help others with a direct and practial way out. Vidyamala is someone who walks her talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great meditation, 20 Feb 2010
I've had a few of vidyamala burch meditation cds before. I bought this without buying the book that goes with it so was not sure what to expect.

However you can use this without the book. It gives you examples as well of her other cds. For the cost this was a brilliant buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vidyamala Burch's CD of 'Living Well with Pain and Illness', 29 April 2014
I was very surprised at how poorly this CD has been produced. I live with longterm chronic pain and use Vidyamala Burch's accompanying book, which is extremely good and helps me a lot. However the CD is dreary and lacks any real motivation, either in the voice modulation or in it's presentation as a whole. It would have worked much better with a variety of voices and several different approaches, given that the narrator's voice isn't expressive.
I have had to send back both copies of this CD which I purchased, for technical reasons, as both were warped near the end, and thus unplayable. A miserable customer experience. The manufacturers need to examine their stock to check for the quality of the disc presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain relief, 12 Jan 2014
This book was recommended to me and it did not dissapoint. If you are struggling to manage pain either physical or emotional this is a really practical book. As it is written by someone who has struggled with a life long condition it is very down to earth and really hits the spot. It is a book I return to on a regular basis for encouragement and useful tips

5.0 out of 5 stars ... all at once or one at a time - excellent, 18 Aug 2014
A series of mindfulness meditations - can listen to them all at once or one at a time - excellent

A CD to Accompany 'Living Well with Pain and Illness'
A CD to Accompany 'Living Well with Pain and Illness' by Vidyamala Burch (Audio CD - 30 Nov 2008)
5.00