5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for new shop owners, expanding businesses
Published on 13 Jun 2005 by A. James

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful but boring
A helpful but rather boring book on how to run a florist shop.
The type is too small, rather hard to read without glasses.
Published 7 months ago by CATARINA FERRER

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for new shop owners, expanding businesses, 13 Jun 2005
A. James "Clarah123" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
An excellent and practical read. I found this book extremely useful as a freelance florist looking to start up a shop. It's like being a fly on the wall in a busy flower shop at different times of the year. Lots of sound advice to be mindful of the business side of things as much as the creative side. A very optimistic and proactive look at the retail florist business and is especially helpful regarding buying an existing business. He advises that you 'make your own luck' and gives you some tools to do so. The flower industry was in need of a modern resource like this and a big thank you to Mr. Peck for addressing that need!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reality check for budding shopowners, 4 Sep 2006
Shopgirl (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
Having joined the flower industry from the world of finance (I set up my first shop in 2001), this would have been an invaluable book when I was starting out. I have learned many of the lessons that the author, Alan Peck, and his late wife learned, and I found myself frequently thinking 'I've done that!', when they referred to some of the pitfalls that they had found on their way to owning a large floristry business. In particular, Alan discusses the financial aspect of buying and owning a shop, and the importance of being on top of accounts and VAT. He also generously shares details of the balance sheet from a year's trading, and it will be interesting for many readers to note how the profits relate to takings. For those thinking of coming into the flower business, this will probably be a bit of a welcome 'eye opener' insofar as the profits, bearing in mind these represent total household earnings for a couple running the shop, are far from huge. Don't forget too, that this is a large shop with 6 - 8 staff and two drivers.

The author is also candid about how stressful the job can be, particularly at key trading times such as St Valentines Day and Christmas - with anecdotal evidence of some poor florists going into nervous meltdown! These are the times that customers never see - still there at 10 p.m. making bouquets, after a 6 a.m. start, with a raft or orders still to finish before going home for some precious sleep, and another busy 12 hour day.

In these days of less certain 'jobs for life', there are many people, particularly couples with redundancy money, coming into the industry. I can testify to the number who have thought it will be a 'nice little business - working with flowers all day' and subsequently realised that, not only are they out of their depth workwise (frequently having only done a beginner's course at a local college), but it's also far, far harder and more stressful work than they ever anticipated. If this book saves a few marriages (and redundancy settlements), then it will have done a public service!

Owning and running a Floristry business is a not a short cut to a fortune - the only 'rich' florists are the predominantly London based 'celebrity' florists, who can command celebrity prices for their work, write books and appear on TV. A flower shop is a 'lifestyle' business, where, if you love working with flowers and creating something special for your customers, you can find this very artistically rewarding, and it will hopefully provide you with a comfortable living.

This excellent book will give plenty of very sound guidance to those looking to open their first shop, or perhaps move on to something bigger from their initial venture.

Very well written by Mr Peck and a fine tribute to his late wife, who obvioulsy loved what she did, as did her customers.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless Advice, 21 Sep 2006
Ms. Ellen Rowley (Leeds uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
What a fantastic book! I couldnt put it down! I myself have recently purchased a floristy shop and thought i was well prepared, until i read this! ..... now i am 100% prepared, the information this book gave me really was priceless, and i would reccomend it to anyone buying an existing business. and alan if you read my review good luck with the novels!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Oct 2008
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
I recently purchased this book because of the great reviews it had and I wasn't disappointed. The book tells you everything you need to know about running a florist shop and is written in such a wonderful way. Coming from a finance background the business side is spot on and Alan Peck and his late wife had the perfect mix of skills to make it a success. The book is so easy to read and the author comes across as a really nice person. I only hope I can put the valuable knowledge I have gained from this book to good use in the future. Thank you so much for giving me the benefit of your experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have!!!!! Wonderful Read!!!, 15 Mar 2008
K. Psaila "Florist" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
This Book is a must have for anyone considering buying or strating up a business, its given me a huge insight!!!!
It has just the right mix of facts and story, so that you almost feel you know the Author, top marks to this man, and huge respect for telling his story. Its honest, unbiased and true! Respect must go to him and his late wife for all their hard work, and for also proving a husband and wife team can work brilliantly.
I urge anyone who is thinking of starting up or buying an existing florist to buy this book and read and take in every detail. It is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the florists bible!, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
Absolutely love this book - invaluable advice. I can't put it down! I am in the process of searching for premises for my new business and now I feel so much better prepared. The book is so simple to understand and makes light reading of confusing issues. 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 26 Feb 2008
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
Loved this book! Read it in one sitting! Finished the book with a more realistic vision of running a florist shop and a greater appreciation of the lifestyle it provides as opposed to profit. It has given me much food for thought and the author deserves a massive thank you for putting a candid, helpful and inspiring book such as this on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic find!, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by a fellow florist, and i cannot beleive how useful (and valuable) it has become. I am soon to open my first florist shop having run my own flower business from a workshop for the last 8 years, and had no idea on stock, planning, accounting, marketing etc. This book will be with me all the way to the new shop, and i will be referring to it many times in the future no doubt! If you are serious about running or buying a flower shop, this book is an absolute must!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you need, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
This book is fabulous as someone already working in a florists but looking to buy my own shop it was still worth reading lots of little tips and insights ,it is an open and honest portrayall of the trade and clearly written with an obvious love of the business , it was a great book to show my husband so he could grasp the ins and outs highs and lows of running a shop . Something people often consider is just 'messing about with flowers'
It goes into all elements of the trade some if the I T side of the book is now a bit outdated but still worth reading , whenever we have conversations about our upcoming purchase my husband often says "oh yes he said that in the book" The comments on valentines day are so true no one comprehends until they have done it how most florists are close to tears and shattered on the days preceding valentines .
Couldn't recommend this book enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any budding florist!, 21 July 2009
Ms. A. MCheesmond "Anna" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buying and Running a Florist Shop (Paperback)
I am starting a floristry degree course in September with the dream of one day opening my own florist's shop. Having very little knowledge of business I read the other reviews and decided to have a look at this book. I have since not been able to put it down and have started making notes so that I can learn from this book and reference it later in my course. Absolutely essential reading for anyone who wants to know more about the business side of this fascinating industry!

Buying and Running a Florist Shop
Buying and Running a Florist Shop by Alan Peck (Paperback - April 2005)