4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but room for improvement
Published on 8 Dec. 2009 by Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Spooneryork
Published on 3 Jan. 2010 by Phillip J. Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but room for improvement, 8 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Trackatlas of Mainland Britain: A Comprehensive Geographic Atlas Showing the Rail Network of Britain (Hardcover)
I hadn't picked up on any errors as such, unlike the other reviewers to date, but I feel that although this is a great improvement on Baker in terms of detail it falls short with its format. It's frustrating that all but the simplest of sidings disappear by means of an arrow off the running lines, such that this is not a complete overview of Britain's railway network, which it could and should be. All of this aforementioned detail is depicted in the Quail diagrams, so although I do recognise from personal experience that mapping complex yards and depots is tricky in a constrained space, I feel that this is a big omission. I definitely think it's worth the extra £10 over buying Baker's atlas despite the omissions, because it is still infinitely more detailed than Baker's work showing as it does individual platforms and tracks.

The other big omission for me is London Underground and other Metros, especially being that LU interfaces with Network rail at several locations, indeed with NwR trains running over LU infrastructure. This makes the omission to me a little arbitrary, perhaps less so isolated systems like the Glasgow Metro.

The author now has the unenviable task of trying to keep the work up-to-date, for which I wish him luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Spooneryork, 3 Jan. 2010
Phillip J. Watson (Yorkshire GB) - See all my reviews
The book promises much and indeed is very good in many ways, but the glaring errors slightly take the gloss off I'm afraid. I spotted about 5 mistakes within the first few minutes of flicking through the book. In Yorkshire it shows 2 Signal boxes Knottingley and Oakenshaw on the maps both of which have been demolished and replaced over 2 years ago. Very very poor and slipshod research indeed. Numerous spelling mistakes and a total lack of clarity for freight routes and Freight terminals make the overall package reasonable,but nowhere as good as it should be. Not a patch on the accuracy of Quail maps.

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree with Joe!, 15 Jan. 2010
C. Simmons (Derby) - See all my reviews
Yes Joe, you are correct to point out all of the facets which this atlas omits in your review. And beyond the elements you mention, it also omits the channel tunnel terminal at Folkestone and all preserved lines. As such the atlas, whilst infinitely preferable to Baker's atlas on so many levels, falls significantly short in other areas to the degree that it can't possibly hope to replace it on most folks bookshelves, merely complement it. As such, it's a very expensive addition with none of the benefits of dropping the purchase of the competing product. Maybe as Vista was 'fixed' and rebadged Windows 7, release 2.0 of this atlas will be the Baker killer many had assumed this release would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide, 7 April 2011
T. Braddick (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a ninth edition 'Baker' atlas that has accompanied me on many rail tours and self organised trips. On recent trips I've seen a couple of copies of this atlas as well as the better known Quail Track Plans. I'll offer some comments and comparisons that I hope may help prospective buyers ;

1. Out of date data - the modern railway is changing so quickly that any printed atlas is almost certain to be out of date by the time it comes back from the printers. Does the occasional signal box closure really affect your use of a rail atlas ? The majority of rail enthusiasts are likely to say 'no' but you may wish to bear this in mind if you really have to have current precise info.

2. I followed my route home from London tonight - a journey I've been taking for around 10 years, and spotted things I'd never noticed before thanks to the details in this book. You wouldn't get that from the 'Baker'.

3. I have compared one of my recent trips to East Anglia - the route I highlighted of the journey I took in the 'Baker' vs the same in 'Trackatlas'. Although the 'Baker' has things like industrial tracks and preserved lines marked, this atlas has far greater detail covering the different running lines, level crossings, signal boxes (open or closed) plus the recorded track distances (with an introductory piece on these for newcomers at the beginning).

4. I'm planning a trip to the southern 'Anglia Plus' rail rover zone and I think I'll take both books and use both books in my planning in conjunction with online timetables - the Baker to mark up my overall map of lines covered and the 'Trackatlas' to follow during the journey so I know what I'm passing more accurately.

5. The Quail Track Plans are probably more detailed but do not give the geographical context of the 'Trackatlas'. The latter is more important to me and it is a good meeting point between the 'Baker' geographical maps and the 'Quail' detailed plans in my opinion.

In terms of aging, the 2009 print I have has the Bathgate - Airdrie (which I have travelled on) and East London overground routes dotted in with basic station locations and names - there may be others but these were two that I'm familiar with so chose to check how they had been represented. You could ink them in if you wish as the geographical context is fair. But it's fair to say that the author did some reasonable 'future proofing' by dotting in expected line openings. The other thing this atlas gives is a clearer picture of junctions and where you need to be to get to where you want to go next as it isn't always clear where you need to change for some lines.

If I was going to renew just one of my rail atlases in five years, I would plump for this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars TRACKAtlas great idea marred by errors and ambiguities., 23 Aug. 2010
TRACKMaps' new TrackAtlas of mainland Britain is a worthy project. But, given the number of errors or at least examples of poor depiction or ambiguity of physical track layout, I hope the present volume can be regarded as work in progress. Glaring examples include the north end of Doncaster station (page 129, where the goods lines appear to cross the main in a series of diamond crossings when the physical layout is in fact a ladder junction consisting of a series of single leads. Thus is unforgiveable as are similar examples: Carlisle London Road Jn (p121), Leeds Whitehall Junction (p127). Other examples are simply badly drawn when space can not be used as an excuse: Huddersfield north end, new layout at Bradford Interchange. A corrected, clarified (and perhaps more comprehensive) 2nd Edition is keenly awaited. In the meantime this book certainly does not replace the (almost!) error-free Quail Track Diagrams from the same publisher. Nor for me does it replace Stuart Baker's excellent atlas which has accurate route detail, geographically faithful, without attempting to show track layouts. So for the time being favoured travel companions are Baker together with the appropriate Quail diagrams. The large hard-backed format of the TrackAtlas also makes it less portable; a soft back (like the Quails) would mould itself more comfortably to the other contents of my rucksack. Incidentally updated Quails are now eagerly awaited: any news, TrackMaps?

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, but could be better, 14 Feb. 2010
J. Harvey (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Having recently purchased Joe Brown's London Railway Atlas, I was expecting a similar standard and detail of mapping. The distortion of scale in the Trackatlas presentation sometimes makes interconnections difficult to follow, and the choice of whether to show the details of sidings and yards seems somewhat arbitrary. I am also doubtful about the accuracy of some of the colour coding for electrified lines. Criticism over! A work of this type is a massive undertaking, it includes most of the trackwork detail you are ever likely to see from a passenger train and it is great to have it all in one book. I like the inclusion of junction names and level crossings with mileages which should make it easier to follow one's progress when travelling along any of the lines. I am sure I will get a lot of use from this atlas.

3.0 out of 5 stars In Need Of A Proof-Reader, 31 Dec. 2009
Disappointingly inaccurate, especially with regard to spellings ("Oakhampton") and missing information (e.g. Milton box, Leamside). W Philip Conolly and Stuart Baker have little to worry about on this score. Expected more of a book priced at this level.

3.0 out of 5 stars I use this book as an updating supplement, 8 Mar. 2010
David Grainger (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after reading the other crits knowing that there were inacuracies, not covering London Underground or Metros etc. I had already purchased Joe Brown's London Rail Atlas and was looking for something to cover the rest of the country. I have a complete set of Quail Track Diagrams from about 1990 and needed to update that information but realised that to do so by purchasing a new set of Quails would be a very expensive way of updating I chose to purchase this book.

I found the previous reviewers comments helpful in this as I was not therefore disappointed using this book as a supplement to the information that I already had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Atlas of Mainland Britain, 21 Feb. 2010
Graham W. Timbrell (lancashire England) - See all my reviews
Comprehensive detail of tracks , sidings , signal boxes, stations and much other useful information for anyone interestd in Britain's railways. It will be a companion on any future rail journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graham's reference book!, 25 April 2010
Excellent product; packed with detail. Colour coding of tracks; level crossing details and locations of crossovers.....superb. All as previous reviewers have commented. Yes, it doesn't show the preserved lines or tramways....but that is a small price to pay. Really useful, especially used with the relevant OS maps. Graham.

Used & New from: £13.19