5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Christmas present
Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by N5girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware
Published on 27 Oct. 2011 by Fiona

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Christmas present, 5 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Good Hotel Guide 2012: Great Britain & Ireland (Paperback)
My son buys me a copy of the Good Hotel Guide every year as a Christmas present, and this year's edition is the best I've seen yet. I have already spent many hours looking through the photos and am looking forward to planning stays during the year to come. I've used the Good Hotel Guide for many years, and it never lets me down. I don't like all these chain hotels, so it's a relief to find a book that champions smaller places to stay.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great guide...., 6 Jan. 2012
Sorry that it has taken us so long to find this really good guide. This will be our guide to future stays away.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good guide if you want to stay somewhere posh, 9 Sept. 2013
Kathi Wyldeck - See all my reviews
This is a very good and well organised guide to hotels around the British Isles. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for such upmarket accommodation, so the book has been wasted on me, but for those who want a thorough guide to the posh hotels of Britain and Ireland, then this is a great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always a good read, 5 Feb. 2013
Mr. Peter Rust (London) - See all my reviews
I get a new edition of this book most years and enjoy the different styles of the reviews.

It helps me to make elaborate plans for tours which may or may not happen, but are very enjoyable dreams.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 27 Oct. 2011
This book is a real mixture of good and bad. I have stayed in at least ten of the "recommended" hotels and can only say the results were mediocre at best. I cannot understand how the quality varies so wildly from the description in the book. In one instance the book describes "great views from every room" we had a view of the rear of the kitchen building. The staff coming and going for their cigarette breaks - how romantic! In another instance we were promised "unusually spacious rooms" only to be met by what only can be described as a compact room at best.

I wonder if every hotel is truly visited by the inspectors as it is claimed - from hard experience and lots of wasted money the AA guide is a much safer bet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Hotel Guide 2012, 6 Mar. 2013
Although a year old was quite up-to-date enough for what I needed. Fantastic value! Bought as "used" - but seemed brand new. Thanks for the book.

The Good Hotel Guide 2012: Great Britain & Ireland
The Good Hotel Guide 2012: Great Britain & Ireland by Desmond Balmer (Paperback - 3 Oct. 2011)