5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I read this book before my son was born
Published on 9 Jun 2009 by J. Surnina

Published on 29 April 2010 by Funky Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I read this book before my son was born, 9 Jun 2009
J. Surnina "Book worm" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food of Love, The: Your Formula for Successful Breastfeeding (Paperback)
Like many I spent most my pregnancy preparing for and fussing about the big day. I was totally unprepared for what came after. The breatsfeeding turned out to be the most difficult and demanding thing I have ever done. I was torn between different advice on how to feed: to have a schedule or not to have one, to let the baby fall asleep on a breast or not, to give him formula supplement at night to make him sleep better or not etc. At one point I got myself so worked up about the fact my son was not fitting into a "normal" baby behaviour (not sleeping through the night when 3 months old, wanting to be fed every 2 hours or less, not wanting to sleep happily on his own in his cot at night) that I had finally dragged myself to a local breastfeeding session. That's where I was recommended to read this book which is apparently the only one based on the latest research on breastfeeding, crying it out method and early baby development (unlike Gina Ford's and many others). It changed my life. It made me feel good about what I was doing and the fact that I was following my instincts rather than sticking to advice based primarily on bottle fed babies and given by men or nurses with no children of their own! This book is a must for everyone who wants to breastfeed and follow the lastest World Health Organisation advice on breatsfeeding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings; good on breastfeeding but a bit extreme on some parenting advice!, 29 April 2010
I bought this whilst expecting my second baby after having a LOT of problems with feeding my first baby - we did keep up mixed feeding for a year but I wanted to get it right from the outset this time and hopefully avoid the hassle. The breastfeeding information is great and I found out some stuff that I hadn't come across the first time - such as the detail about exactly how it helps boost immunity and even how when baby has a bug you get the 'germs' from their mouth through your breast tissue and produce antibodies which they then get back to fight it- amazing! Also info on why weaning should wait until six months - as the gut is immature and food still leaks through the gut wall until mature, hence increased risk of allergies. I thought it was really useful to understand some of the science behind the advice you get given so often without any real detail on the rationale/science.

Can't really give an opinion on the practical advice in terms of how to breast feed although I would say its always best to get someone to watch you feed and give some hands on advice - I'm not sure a book could ever do that - especially if you're having problems. But the advice and pictures look pretty good on that front.

BUT I felt it did skirt around some issues and basically said there was no way you couldn't producing enough milk - which I find impossible to believe - having had so many problems myself despite desperately expressing multiple times per day on top of feeds for several weeks, taking 'galactagogues' trying to boost the milk supply. Is there any other area where absolutely every body is made perfectly and there are never any issues for anybody?? The view doesn't seem to be borne out by other information I've been given in the past. I thought it was a shame this wasn't better dealt with knowing how stressful it is when you have problems.

Also they style/approach was a bit misleading in places. Some of the information seems to be really scientifically based and accurate whereas in other places things are stated as if they are fact when they must be the author's (quite extreme in some cases) opinions! For example, the author is very pro-sling (as am I) but to the point of being anti-pram!! She kind of says you might need a pram if you have a medical/pelvic condition but pretty much otherwise use a sling and a shopping trolley. She says prams are put together with little clips which will fall apart after a couple of years and a shopping trolley will be stronger????! Has she any experience of modern prams?? Wierd. I know she's trying to be funny but I didn't quite get it!

Other areas I found a bit extreme were her ideas on safety - she's anti using stair gates and I'm not sure what she thinks you should do with sharp knives but she seems to say babies can learn to avoid dangerous objects like these (except modern dangers like electricity etc. which they can't 'GET')....hmmmm...I'm not sure a book on breastfeeding needs to get into this territory. Its a shame as the breastfeeding advice is some of the best stuff I've read e.g. understanding that a child's immune system doesn't fully mature until they are quite a few years old hence why there is still some reason to continue breastfeeding beyond the early days which I hadn't previously properly understood. I think it would have been better if she'd stuck to the breastfeeding stuff and saved her views on non-related parenting subjects for a separate book!

I've been a happy co-sleeper and haven't used controlled crying with my little one, used a sling etc. so I'm not totally opposite to the author and in some ways I think its great there's a book out there fighting the corner for the non-routine/co-sleeping/breastfeeding approach - some of it backed up science etc. I just thought it was a shame she took it so far - I don't think its good to push people too far into forcing routines if it doesn't suit them, as they don't me,. But I felt the author could stress new parents out that they'd let their child cry for a couple of minutes or didn't have them constantly strapped to them in a sling. Parents need to look after themselves as well as their little ones and keeping baby in bed all night, having them constantly attached to you suits some people but could drive others into desperation through exhaustion! I'm sure most people ultimately reach a happy medium!

DEFINITELY worth reading for the breastfeeding info but make up your own mind on the parenting style stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if you want to breastfeed!, 27 Aug 2013
L. Clarke (London) - See all my reviews
I have never felt so strongly compelled to come and write a review on amazon before! This book is a must read if you want to breastfeed. It is humorously and intelligently written making it easy to pick up and put down. It tackles issues such as feeding a small, poorly infant as well as dealing with common issues such as inverted nipples and I'm really scraping the barrel there as it does go into detail on loads and loads of other things too.
I formula fed my youngest due to a gazzillion reasons I don't have time to go into but I wish I could go back in time and hand myself this book. I didn't once find it condescending as a previous reviewer says (sometimes I think the "condescending" is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to breastfeeding, if you know what I mean). So rather than take this book with a pinch of salt, it might be an idea to take some of the poor reviews with a pinch of salt with exception to the one voted most helpful, which raises a couple of good points and seems genuine. Some the reviews read as though the poster hasn't even flicked through the book.
I found the sections on Thrush, Mastitis and how the author tackles feeding in public really helpful in the beginning and now I'm re-reading the section on full term breastfeeding as I wish to carry on past the default "six months" we hear so much about. The breast pain trouble shooting page is invaluable at helping you get some clue why it's hurting (page 132). This book challenges myths about breastfeeding too, some of which I just assumed were true because I'd heard them repeated so often.
The writer does go on about baby wearing a lot, but once I gave in and started doing it, I really saw how beneficial it was to not only my baby, but my older child who I was then able to give more time to and in my case it really helped with the feeding.
We are now at 8 months and going strong and I really think this book has helped! They should hand these out to all pregnant ladies wanting to breastfeed in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 26 July 2010
10 years down the line and baby number two. I really enjoyed brestfeeding my first son and am very proud that I stuck it out for two years during which he was never sick and a very happy little lad. I was a little insecure second time round as my second son was born out of the U.K where you do not get housecalls from midwives or nurses for the first few days checking that breastfeeding is going smoothly, you are basically left to figure it out on your own.So I ordered a small library on breast feeding off of Amazon. I started this book at the end of my pregnancy and was thrilled to read about co-sleeping, bonding as much as possible and all the other delights the book talks about. The way it is written and illustrated is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the other over medical-science based books that are slightly complicated for us mere mortals to comprehend.

Also out of all the books it was the only one I found that mentioned that you should not drink fenugreek tea if you suffer from thrombofelia which I do so that was a great tip......

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Why did we wait so long for a cartoon breastfeeding manual?, 16 May 2010
I just got back from the NCT conference, where Kate Evans did a very entertaining presentation on breastfeeding, using drawings and cartoons from her book. It was a blast! I love the way she bundles information up into bite-sized thematic sections in this book, and how she uses cartoons and illustrations at just the right points - it's fun and some of the cartoons are laugh-out-loud funny, but it's also a very effective way of teaching, of getting the maximum information across and retained by the reader. I feel an urge to buy this for each and every one of my friends who are pregnant. I might just do that...

I'm a breastfeeding counsellor student and think this is going to be great to recommend to couples to prepare them for the actuality of breastfeeding and of having a tiny baby to care for.

Thanks Kate, for a great conference session, and for a fab book! Good luck in September!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, it is the best!, 12 April 2010
Maggie (Caithness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is simply the best book about breastfeeding I have ever come across. It is well researched, covers the basics and all the common problems that can occur. It also encourages you to trust your instincts and to trust your body - crucial advice that is so often the key to a successful breastfeeding relationship. And if your brain is too frazzled for all that information, the pictures are wonderful too.
Every pregnant mum should be given a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!, 26 Nov 2009
I've read a lot about breastfeeding and still learned a LOT from this book. Her cartoons are so accurate and very entertaining, while presenting a really good overview of parenting. I'd like to buy a copy for every pregnant woman I see!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, about more that just breast-feeding, 6 Feb 2009
Jakob Von Recklinghausen (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
Although already having successfully breastfed a child, my partner was still delighted to read this book. Since she is expecting another child, she was again interested in the subject and said, that she learned a lot about how to deal with a baby, about our first child and about herself as a woman. And her (breastfeeding) friends loved it too. Highly recommended, a refreshingly funny but still serious approach to the matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 21 Jun 2009
I just bought this book few days ago, and already nearly finished reading it. My son is 2 months now, and I regret that I didn't get that book earlier as that would save me from giving my baby top up feeds with formula, after being told by GP, midwives and health visitor that I don't have enough milk, and baby should not feed for longer than 40 minutes. My son is feeding sometimes for hours and that is ok, he is putting weight week by week and is happy baby. There is so many books, and all of them have different theories, that you would be confused, and I felt like I am failing to be a good mum, since I don't have enough milk to feed my baby. This book has opened my eyes, and I felt when reading it like it is relating to my situation. I love the chapter about co-sleeping and since I started doing it I am getting more sleep so is my boy! This book is telling you to use your intuition in parenting, no strict routines, and all of it is supported by a research. I like also the way it is written in non-patronising funny way, with great drawings.
It was worth to buy it, as now I feel like I am not only one. I will be recommending that book to every mum or mum to be I know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and friendly support for the tired and befuddled., 9 April 2009
Holly Shanahan (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I cannot praise this book enough. It covers everything that a Mum and her nearest and dearest need to know about breast feeding and making it an enjoyable success. Don't suffer cracked nipples or wonder if your child's feeding patterns are normal, this wonderfully illustrated, easy to read book is on hand to help tired and befuddled parents. Also a good point to start if you have friends/family who are resistant to the idea of you breastfeeding. It isn't patronising and it can be easily picked up and put down to be read in segments, which is often useful with a new born around. It is also bound in such a way so as to stay open at the page you're reading easiy, so could be read with your hands other wise engaged eg breastfeeding. I would also recommend this book to pregnant Mums who are thinking about breastfeeding, it could give you confidence to give it a good go.

Food of Love, The: Your Formula for Successful Breastfeeding