5.0 out of 5 stars Top Guide, 24 April 2008
A. Cherry (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lake District Mountain Biking (Paperback)
Excellent Guide - Sorry 'The best Lakes guide'

USed to be a Lakes local before moving to Sheffield, but this guide showed even a seasoned Lakes rider a few things. Covers the best routes such as Parkamoor but also some of the more quieter sides of the Lakes (always a good thing to beat the crowds!!)

Lots of useful tips - like the best post ride pub!

Would recommend this guide more than any other as its up to date and written by people who ride their mountain bikes (rather than carrying them up the hills - with pipelagging attached - very 1980's).

Best of all they have proper maps for the routes rather than hand drawn diagrams - usefull if the weather turns.

5 stars all the way

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out and ride!, 12 Sep 2010
C. M. Robinson (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lake District Mountain Biking (Paperback)
I bought this book in 2008 when I had just taken up mountain biking after a break of about 10 years, and my partner and I were going to the Lakes and taking bikes with us. We picked one of the blue routes that was close-ish to where we were staying, and that looked like 'fun'. It was a fabulous route, although even at a blue, the technical bits were way over our abilities at the time, but that is just the Lakes for you really. In spite of this, the book was amazingly clear, we never got lost, the map was spot on, and I couldn't fault the book at all, just my fitness / ability.

We have since been back, having practised our skills quite a bit! This time we were a bit more 'wise', and actually took some advice from a bike shop about routes, for a day out. When I checked the route we had ridden against the book, we had managed to do one of the best bits of downhill the book reckons the Lakes has to offer - which I *have* to agree with. We loved it so much, we planned another route that would also take in the same downhill section on another day. Following a bike shop map was a lot harder than this book though, and we got lost a few times. Next time we go, we're going to attack Hellvelyn!

Great book, great series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lake District Mountain Biking, 15 Jun 2009
I. E. Holloway (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lake District Mountain Biking (Paperback)
This book gives a good range of rides in the Lakes. The book is written in a cheerful and agreeable style and is thorough in coverage. The routes are well selected, the maps are very useful and the pocket size ideal.
However, I think this is a book for hard-core riders. I found Black Combe (an easy route in this guide) hard going and I ended up walking the initial steep part (along with the five other riders that I saw). So if you are going for a ride with a friend new to the sport this is not the book for you, unless your mate has Lance Armstrong's thighs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked by son, 4 Oct 2010
sh (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lake District Mountain Biking (Paperback)
Bought as a present for mountain biking son. He seemed very pleased with it.

Lake District Mountain Biking