Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 December 2011
In preparation for my trip to Egypt in January I looked around for a guide and came upon this book.

Amazon allows you to" look inside" before you purchase; which made me concerned because the type was small and tight with black and white phots but as this was the Kindle version being displayed I hoped for a more colourful printed package. Unfortunately, when the book arrived it was no different, black and white photos, lots of text to a page and I was a little disappointed.

I needn't have worried.

Janet Wood writes in a personal and lively style which is easy to follow; I found that I would happily flick through the pages absorbing interesting facts; of which there are many. For the price charged it would be preferable to see colour pictures included and a few more maps (for which I will deduct one star) but the content is highly informative.

This guide is a wonderful introduction to Egypt and what to expect when taking a cruise on the Nile. Plenty of detail about the Egyptian history and a useful itinery of what you are likely to be doing during the cruise. She even makes helpful suggestions regarding what to pack; I might have included a first aid kit but I would not have thought about packing a torch.

As others noted there is some negative commentary included, but I view it as essential preparation so that you are not surprised when, as an example, local traders pester you with their wares. Regardless of where you visit holidaymakers are nearly always considered "fair game" so being aware of the tricks means you are less likely to become an unsuspecting victim. Personally, I found this the most useful part of the whole book.

I will certainly be packing the book on my holiday and fully expect to be referring to it on a daily basis.
on 2 March 2013
An LP or RG this ain't but what a great & lovely little guide this is (if perhaps a tad quirky). Full of good facts and some interesting perspectives. Throughly enjoyed it and it's as comprehensive as you're likely to find about your Nile Cruise. Yes it does state many of the negative issues that have faced this region but these are facts not fiction. Read it and take from it what you want rather than dismissing the author if you take a different view. My fellow travellers and me throughly enjoyed talking about the content and we also had a great cruise (although some were ill!). The printed book does look like something from the middle ages but all in all that rather fits its refreshingly different style.
on 5 January 2012
This book is the perfect first-time Nile traveller guide; this is a whimsical piece of work, full of anecdotes and personal accounts, and yet and at the same time packed with detail, historical information and statistics for the traveller to Egypt. In many ways these 'personalized' travel guides allow the reader to evaluate what they want to see and do for themselves, as it is like talking to a close friend who has been there already, which can be very reassuring for the first-time traveller. This book is also richly illustrated: thanks again for a well researched concept.
on 1 March 2012
Very informative book which seeks to tell you the truth. Tell you things that the travel agents don't tell you. It hasn't put me off going at all. As long as I know the real deal I can be prepared and enjoy my holiday.
on 24 March 2015
As someone who is making my first visit to Egypt, this book was helpful in giving me information regarding the history, myths and legends regarding the Pharaonic period of the country. It also helped me by preparing me for the many sights (and sites!!!) I will be visiting. Local customs are also explained as I wouldn't want to deliberately offend anyone there by not wearing the appropriate clothing when visiting mosques etc. I recommend this as a light read in preparation for the reality of visiting the site of great civilisation.
on 24 April 2012
We returned from a fantastic Nile cruise in March this year and I had done lots of research into our trip before hand. All the guide books focused on the places to visit, so when I found this one, which describes life on board a cruise ship, I was well pleased. It may not be bang up to date but the information is so useful, giving historical facts for each site as well as advising on how to deal with the constant stream of pedlars, how to tip, what to avoid etc. It turned out that one of our fellow cruisers had also got this book and because we would quote from it regularly, it became known as the word according to St Janet! If you are going on a Nile cruise I would recommend this book wholeheartedly - fact and fun!
on 28 October 2014
Great and informative book , not only about Egypt and its culture ,but also what to expect from the cruise. It gives vulnerable information that is not accessible via any travel agents. It is my preparation for my cruise next year.
on 27 March 2015
Very useful guide; plenty of practical tips and hints to make the cruise even more enjoyable. The temple plans (even with the typos) were a great help.
on 30 August 2014
Certainly the best of all the guide books on cruising the Nile. It had genuinely useful tips and was a real help in making the most of our cruise.
on 27 January 2015
Lots of valuable information ----so useful to help a first-time Nile cruiser.
The information about the sites can be found elsewhere, I'm sure; this book comes
into its own with the hints and tips. The sections on costs of trinkets, tipping and so on
are great!
I recommend this book without reservation!