on 27 July 2006
My girlfriend was intent on taking a trip to Egypt and I have to say that I panicked at the thought of going to a strange country. I was used to holidaying on Spanish islands and other mediterranean beaches so a trip to such an unknown quantity was needless to say a little daunting.

I hunted around (and purchased) many books about Egypt in an attempt to familiarise myself with the culture and the history and, had I not stumbled accross this litle gem of a book I find my self wondering what may have been!

Every book you find on the shelf tells you about the history, the places to visit and the culture in Egypt, however this book provides something more - something that I wasn't even aware that I needed in the first place.

Travel Egypt Nile Cruise is for today's tourist.

There is a good deal of information about the sights to see and Egyptian history (enough to keep anyone happy); however, this book really stands alone as the author covers a wide range of topics from bartering tricks and tips to sunstroke avoidance on those long tourist outings. Her no nonsense and whimisical approach kept me informed and entertained throughout. Some of the advice proved invaluable during our stay and I'm sure would prove just as invaluable to other 'First Timers'. (Check out the bit about the boat trip!!!)

This book didn't just provide me with information on what to see and where to go; it gave me an insight on how to get there and how to act in this strange yet amazing country.

An invaluable, superb book. A must if you are visiting Egypt (or indeed any middle east country) for the first time, the second time or even if you are a regular vistor. This author really knows her stuff!

Steve.
on 16 February 2008
I bought this book when i first booked my holiday. Read it and put it to one side. Remembered to pack it but didn't look at it again. On the way home (14 February 2008) i remembered i had it and reread it...........my goodness this lady was on our cruise ship! Absolutely everything she said happened and her tips on fighting off the persistant sellers were spot-on!!! I would TOTALLY recommend this book if you are considering a Nile cruise - but don't do what i did - buy it, read it, and take her at her word - everything she says is true. Have a fantastic holiday!
on 31 March 2006
This is a superb Travel Guide.
It does what it says on the tin.
It answered all the many question my wife and myself had about travelling to Egypt for the first time.
How to deal with bartering.
What currency do we need to take?
What Clothing to wear?
How do we get the visa we require?
It answered all our questions far better than any Travel Agent ever could.
on 31 March 2009
For anyone who is taking a Nile cruise for the first time and who doesnt know anyone who has done it, this is a very useful guide to what will probably happen on the journey plus tips on what to expect at all stages, even when arriving at an airport. Definitely worth reading before you go.
on 21 June 2009
Janet Wood's book is well worth acquiring before you go on your Nile cruise. There's good information on your preparations, what you can expect and particularly useful on the thorny subject of tipping. Read this book right through before you go. We did, and were still taken aback by the persistence of the shopkeepers at all shopping opportunities. You must not get cross, just keep walking and looking out for what YOU want.
Our boat, the Terramar, was excellent, but you will have to buy your Galabeya outfit. Janet Wood says be ready to pay 100 Egyptian pounds each. We paid 200 each for quite basic stuff, others spent more. But we would not have been without our outfits for that evening which was very good fun.
Our week on the Terramar was first class and we recommend it thoroughly as a superb holiday.
on 6 April 2009
If you are planning a Nile Cruise this is the book to help you anticipate the highlights and difficult points of you holiday. If you are after lots of detailed historical detail this is not for you. Simple but accurate and very useful
on 30 October 2008
This guide is perfect for the first time cruiser and proved to be an extremely interesting and informative guide for my wife and I. The book guides you through the most common excursions, avoiding sickness, bartering with the locals, tipping the guide and boat crew etc. I read it in one sitting at home but frequently returned to the guide during the cruise. The guide is perhaps not particularly useful for seasoned visitors but it is perfect for the novice. Highly recommended.
on 16 April 2009
This is essential reading before going on a Nile Cruise. It is very practical and realistic. Don't leave without it!
on 24 February 2009
This book is a warts and all account of what you can expect on a Nile Cruise, and having now experienced it the book is very accurate. It gives a very helpful and honest breakdown of what your cruise will look like. Very good.
on 8 December 2008
Excellent little book and perfect for first time cruisers (like me).
Good summary of all of the excursions and some useful tips about Egyptian culture (and how to deal with it). Also good advice on things you need to know to make the most of your cruise (money, health, bartering etc.). Worth every penny.