Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 September 2003
...and that is just by viewing the front cover of this book.
for those who, as yet, are unfamiliar with Robert Opies "scrapbook" series, or are in two minds whether to buy this particular title, well,you will not be disappointed.
Superb value for money, this large hardback , full colour book contains a wealth of images from toilet rolls to tanks from the second world war, and one has to take ones tin hat off to the author for having the foresight to collect and preserve various items from the period and have them arranged in such a way to produce a beautiful book which brings a tear to the eye ,and will bring poignant memories to those who lived through the war years, as well as being a remarkable book of inspiration for the rest of us.
Thoroughly recommended.
on 9 September 2005
Having lived through the 40's, I can say that this scrapbook does exactly as it intends and evokes long-forgotten memories of what life (normal day-in / day-out life) was like in those days. The collection brought back three things to me. The first was the public noticies that were all over the place in those days - especially the one which said "don't talk about work - get on with it". That poster was in the factory (Kynochs in Birmingham) that I worked in during the war. The second memory (which for some reason I had not thought about for a long time) was the need to salvage everything. The author's collection brought back the memory of taking a jam jar back to the shop if you wanted jam; a newspaper to the fishmonger when you fetched fish - and remembering to put a half-pint glass in your coat if you if you wanted to stop by the pub. The third memory is the strongest and was brought back by the poster of the milkman which appears as a small part of a two-page spread. It shows a milkman delivering the milk. In the background is a row of smouldering, bombed-out houses. That one little poster makes a difficult point in a very accessible way, a point that is otherwise almost impossible to explain now: life went on when all this was happening. The milkman delivered the milk to the streets he always delivered to - only today the houses had been destroyed. It is to the author's credit that through his thoughful compilation of posters, packaging, magazine covers and all the rest of his assembled material that he can evoke so much that was important in those days. The proof of the pudding is the 13-year-old grandchild; used to computer games and satellite TV but sitting listening and appreciating in exactly the same visual way, something that is much more important. This book is worth every penny!
on 15 August 2007
When I saw this book, I knew I was going to love it. It includes page after page of nostalgic and evocative images of over 1000 items that shaped the Second World War.
They range from a photo of a Wartime larder, to photos of genuine wartime sweets and chocolate to photos of some of the newspapers that brandish many of the headlines that act as turning points that changed the whole course of the War.
Along side each page of vivid images, is an informative yet interesting explanation about the items on the page which gives you a true unterstanding of them.
If all this wasn't enough, then there is also a useful wartime timeline at the end of the book.
If you are interested by history of any kind, then this great book will interest and fascinate you for many, many years to come. Go on, find out about this extremely important turning point in history!
on 4 October 2013
I've owned this book for years now, since I was about 11 and I recently found it again atop of a dusty shelf in the spare room.
Its a really fascinating look at the wartime products, leaflets, postcards, propaganda posters etc and makes for a very interesting peep into the wartime past.
I would have liked it to have been longer and perhaps with a little more writing to add to the photos, but I suppose the whole point of the book is that its meant to be like a scrapbook, so that would be my personal preference talking there I guess as I like lots of writing.

The photo of the shelf full of products is particularly interesting, where you can see how the packaging has changed (or hasn't in the case of a couple of things!) of what used to be in kitchen cupboards. I also liked the photos of wartime posters and government leaflets.

A really interesting book, typical of the Robert Opie collection. Kids would love it for the history and adults over a certain age will love it for the reminiscing!
on 10 October 2010
My six year old granddaughter is studying the second world war at school and was asking questions about what we ate for the VE party - spam sandwiches, I said, with tinned fruit that had been carefully hoarded during the years of the war. (Nowadays those tins would have passed their sell by date - but then we didn't care.) So when I saw this book I had to buy it - wonderful. So many things that had been forgotten - ration books, gas masks, land girls, powdered eggs (blech) among them. I even remember my mother carrying around with her, when we had to move because of the bombing, her precious 8 lb of sugar (in yellow bags). In retrospect, I wonder which she would have saved if she had had to make the choice ......

I bought a copy for my sister in the USA and it evoked memories for her and her husband too.

mtb
on 23 October 2011
As the book wasn't one that I could look into before buying I wasn't sure what it would be like. It's more of a picture book showing all sorts of products and lifestyle from the war years. I would have liked more text but what there is reads well. For anyone who grew up during that time it really is a visit down memory lane and my husband and I enjoyed it very much.
on 13 June 2014
Wow!! large sized book but quite good really as the pictures were all of a good size and my 91 year old mother could see them easily and remembered many of the items and again helped to stimulate conversation. Sadly the text running through the items was written by someones own hand and she was unable to read it at all. Many of these books by Robert Opie are really good especially for people with dementia as the past is all they seem to relate to.
on 5 July 2011
Purchased for my children as they learnt about the home front during the second world war. No long dialogues or technical analyses. Simply a collection of memorabilia of the time - posters, postcards, products, etc. which in themselves tell a story of what it was like to have lived at home during the 39-45 war years. Simple and effective. A great educational tool as well as interesting reading for all of us.
on 24 January 2010
Bought this for my in-laws for Christmas present, they seem to like it, are slowly looking through all the pages, finding interesting bits.
The only surprise was how large the book is. I thought it would be A4 but is bigger
on 18 May 2012
An excellent book and gift, much appreciated by its owner, crammed full of interesting, nostalgic material for people who lived through the Second World War. I wasn't around at that time, nevertheless the book, pictures, and advertisements are fascinating. I have the 1950s in the series, and also bought the 1930s as a gift, and they are equally a pleasure to read. I hope to have a full set of my own eventually.