Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 July 2010
Note: This is a big book. So if like me, you are wondering why first class postage is a little bit extra then that is why. 15 inches x 10 inches.

After looking through this beautiful book, I can see why the author has made this like a big Scrapbook and it is definitely a plus.

It is packed full of delightful photographs of memorabilia from the 1950's. Each page concentrates on a different aspect. For instance one page is sweets of the era. So you can bury your head in the pages and enjoy reliving Spangles, Fry's bars and the like. Another page has Dinky and Matchbox toys and I was surprised and delighted to see the little green steam roller I used to play with as a child and many others. Another page has household objects, so you can look for the fridge or washing machine you or your parents or grandparents used to have. Another page has the old Radio Times of the decade which have favourite celebrities on the cover such as Marilyn Monroe and Tommy Cooper. Lots of things included. Holidays, Fashion, Vinyl records, TV's and kitchenware, Comics, Tv Programmes, Food Packets and Tins, Holidays, Cars, Hairstyles and Products, Toys, Sweets.

I was born in the early 60s but I suppose many things hung over from the 50s into that era as I recognised many items in this book. And it was so much fun seeing them, pure nostalgia! I bought this for my parents Anniversary and have to say it made an excellent gift for them both to share. But it would make an equally nice Christmas Present. It really brings back that warm, fuzzy feeling of being a kid.

I am going to order the 60s one for myself for Christmas!
on 28 November 2001
fancy a trip back to the 1950s? climb into your time machine open the front cover and you're there,pay a visit to a sweet shop you can pick up a tiffin bar for 6d or frys 5 boys for 3d, pop into the chemists for some gleem toothpaste this is a magical ride through the '50s crammed with over 1000 sumptiously photographed products, some are still going strong today others lost in the mists of time .a fabulous book
on 25 December 2011
Sadly I need presents for a much- loved mum who is back in her childhood. This book is great. All the everyday bits and pieces that bring back treasured memories and lets us share a conversation, something too precious for words. Very much recommend for others in similar circumstances.
I am a Year 6 teacher, covering the period from 1948 to the present day with my class in History; and this book has been invaluable to us in our History work this term! The pictures and information hidden in its pages is amazing - particularly for one who was too young to remember the era (I wasn't born till 64!)

One of my class's challenges this term has been to produce a 3D diorama relating to a decade from the 1950s to the 1980s; and this series of books has been an invaluable resource for fashion, toys, produce, sweets and toys of the relative decade.

Thank you, Robert Opie, for your impeccable research!

Whether you were born in this era or not, I am sure you will love the book. Enjoy!
on 8 November 2009
The 1950s Scrapbook First saw this book when I visited Outpatients at Boston Pilgrim Hospital. I got so engrosed in the book I was reluctant to put it back when I was called forward to see the hearing specialist. Once you pick this book up you will not want to stop until you have seen every page. So good I am looking now at the other Scrapbook issues. A trip down memory lane and so worth the price.
Plus as always with Amazon, your delivery is quick and painless. Non of that DHL nonsense of spending hours on the phone trying to re-arange a delivery only to find that you have to travel miles to thier depot to pick it up or pay in full the delivery charge again.
on 6 April 2009
The Robert Opie series of scrapbooks is always a treat to return to...and leave them lying around and just wait for visitors to pounce on them, so universal is their appeal. Is there anything better for conjuring up the feel of a bygone era? I don't think there is. You can almost smell the heady aroma of Ovaltine, Woodbines, Brylcreem and Brasso wafting off the pages! The Fifties were long before my time but anyone can appreciate the care Robert Opie has invested in curating and presenting his spectacular collection of everyday objects from down the decades. And if you like his scrapbooks be sure to check out his design and packaging museum in London where you'll find the contents of his wonderful books on display for you to examine up close. He really deserves a medal for services to the nation.
on 21 May 2010
This book was purchased by Dorset Memory Box Library to add to its collection of memorabilia for presentation to memory loss sufferers, as it stimulates the mind and encourages conversation amongst elderly sufferers of memory loss.
A superb tool for activities in Day Centres and Care Homes especially for people with dementia.
Robert Opie has produced a number of similiar Scrapbooks and they are all ideal
in recalling everyday articles of the past
on 8 June 2010
Like Robert Opie's other books in this series, the 1950's book 'brings it all back home' in a few minutes. What I found, and probably others of my age found too, is that you can skim through the book barely noticing what you're reading before returning to the beginning and doing it all over again - but this time, slowly.
It was a case of constantly thinking, I'd forgotten that/those etc.
Altogether a very enjoyable return to those forgotten days - highly recommended.
on 25 December 2011
Sure its great for younger people too! I bought this on the recommendation of another website for my grandma. She has dementia, and there are only so many bars of soap or socks you can buy for someone. She loves it - really takes her back to the wonderful time in her life when she was a new wife and mother. I recommend this for helping connect with those who were young in the 1950s. Its also huge - great for those with failing eyesight.
on 25 October 2009
Brilliant book brings back wonderful memories, if you are stuck for a present for a grandma or grandad they will love it.