5.0 out of 5 stars A dive into the past!, 15 May 2007
Mr. B. A. Longman (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
For those of a certain age who remember visiting these giant hard landscaped Lidos from their childhood this book is full of history and nostalgia. Most of these outdoor pools were constructed during the 1930's and had all but disappeared by the 1990's; only a few remain today some of which are now (thankfully) listed buildings. The case reviews take a more in-depth look into individual Lidos including tidal pools such as Penzance, all have a construction date and if applicable a closure and sadly a demolision date. Backed up with some fantastic photographs and diagrams, one photograph shows a diver taking off one of the Lido high boards looking as if he is flying over the pool and another shows demolition men taking sledge hammers to diving boards at a redundant Lido.
The Author obviously has a genuine love for these Lidos the book will make you both happy with the memories and sad that most Lidos have been demolished. For me it bought back some great memories of day trips to Victoria Park, London Fields (now reopened), Whipps Cross, Larkswood and more recently Tooting Bec.
Oh, and if you ever wondered what those gushing fountains were there for it's all in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely brilliant!, 7 April 2010
Mr. Andrew Phillips "Ayeupmeduck" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
I noticed this book on Amazon and bought it on impulse, and I have to say this is one of the best books I have ever bought! You can just pick it up and read a bit and then come back later and read a bit more. It is as easy a read as that, plain clear narrative and fantastic pictures.

I love swimming and I love swimming in open air pools. I was born and lived my childhood in Hastings East Sussex where we had the St Leonards bathing pool. This was a huge pool with a 10 metre high board and because of the case study in this book I can finally show my children the pool I used to swim in as a child. It was bulldozed a good few years ago but the replacement marina never materialised. Nothing has happened.

The history of lidos is so interesting. They were the grand dames of swimming for so long, so glamourous and enormous in size. I constantly marvel at the measurements in an age where an olympic 50 metre 10 lane pool is a rarity. It is so sad to see so many of these pools have fallen into disrepair and in many cases pulled down completely. Yet equally inspiring are the pictures of the lidos still used today and making their way successfully in a very different era. Ms Smith has created a completely addictive and accessible account of a part of our swimming history and I can not recommend it enough to swimmers and non swimmers alike.

I am almost tempted to swim my way around the remaining pools....

4.0 out of 5 stars Old photos, 17 Dec 2013
Mr. S. Biddlecombe "Steve of Dunmow" (Dunmow, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
I've not seen any of these shots anywhere else. They certainly were a 'thing of their time', and I'm glad I'vegot some pictoral proof to assist my memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars open air swimming pools, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
excellent has a lot of information on open air swimming pools. They started to die out over the last 30 years, but are slowly making a comeback. In many cases the design of building is stunning i.e. Tinside lido in Plymouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid Assets, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
Excellent....unputdownable history of a much neglected subject. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be but this quality document certainly brings back some great memories of New Brighton and Southport and provides little pilgrimages of for the future. Just a shame we have destroyed so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
Very detailed research into a fascinating topic.One of those books you can dip into time and time again.
Janet Smiths love of her subject is evident and she tells her stories in a most interesting and well researched way. The many photos in the book tell their own story from when lidos were everywhere to the struggle they have now to keep afloat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid Assets (Played in Britain Series), 29 July 2009
Christine Gale (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
The Photo's brought back memories of my happy days spent at my local Lido. A wonderful "Find" and worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Abolutely swimming!, 12 April 2006
This review is from: Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) (Paperback)
Janet Smith's book, Liquid Assets, is a great insight into the bathing habbits of the population. Giving informaiton and beautiful photographs of many of the lido sites in the UK, including several you may not ever have been aware of.

Required reading for those involved in Lido's and outdoor swimming, but also exceptionally interesting, for the general reader also!

Liquid Assets (Played in Britain)
Liquid Assets (Played in Britain) by Janet Smith (Paperback - 15 July 2005)
Used & New from: 109.94