5.0 out of 5 stars will change many people's lives
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by jack valero

3.0 out of 5 stars very inspiring
i found this book to be very inspiring,.....will definetly read it again,...it opened my eyes some about the catholic church and their youthwork too (in a good way) ....and inpired me as someone who seeks to love god but struggles,....the honestly is brilliant as is the straight forward style of writting
Published on 20 Aug 2010 by rob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars will change many people's lives, 3 Mar 2002
This book is the autobiography of John Pridmore, a gangster turned Christian. John's life starts crumbling when his parents get divorced. Aged only 11, he soon sets out on a life of crime, starting with shoplifting and ending with drug dealing and intimidation. Aged 27 he has everything: a lot of money, women, cars, and the respect of his peers. One night, working as a doorman in a night-club, he knocks a young man unconscious. Thinking that he has killed him, he escapes to his flat where his world collapses around him: if he has everything, why is he so desperately unhappy?
That marks the turning point in his life. Soon he is involved with committed Christians but it takes him several years to make all the changes required in his life if he is going to be a Christian himself. He tells of his struggles in detail, giving hope to all those who are trying to improve their lives but finding it difficult to do so.
A book that is hard to put down (I also read it in 2 days) - I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and inspirational - a shot in the arm., 27 Feb 2002
When my best mate said he read the book in 2 days I thought he was joking because he hardly ever reads. I can now see why and it only took me a day. I couldn't put it down. It takes you through he childhood up to the age of 27 and all the things he got up to - not a nice person at all. The title describes the rest. I had to fight back the tears about 10 times and it certainly has a divine guidance about it. What a tremendous read - I'd recommended this to anyone of any persuasion and point in their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read!, 14 Dec 2004
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
One of the most compelling books I have ever read. Anyone and everyone would love this true story. Not only does it give you a real insight into the gang world but it is also an incredibly touching story of struggle, pain, determination and accomplishment. Trust me, once you start it, you wont be able to put it down...

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 29 Nov 2004
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
It was a fantastic read from cover to cover. I will certainly will be buying some more and passing them on to friends, an ideal book to give to someone. A truly inspiring read and as michelle collins says "this book will blow your mind" An Incredible insight into the gangland world with a fantastic twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable, 30 July 2004
As the other reviewers have said this book is compulsive reading. I was lent it by a friend, and started it at 10.30pm for some bedtime reading. I was really tired and so thought I'd fall asleep easily, but at 2.30am I was still reading it and had to eventually force myself to put it down and get some sleep, but I finished it the next morning. Unusual account since it doesn't seem like a religious book and would appeal to virtually anyone.
Juxtaposition between the dark and seedy world John lives in up to 27 and the inspiring world for the next 12 years in fascinating. Extremely moving, and yet, in places, also hilariously funny. Have ordered it for my local library since I want as many as possible to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I've read for ages. It's a real page turner. I've read books by Dave Courtney, Vic Dark and other hard men, but this is a gangster story with some real depth to it. It's about how John Pridmore, an East End criminal, finds a way out of his dark world of drug deals and violence. Greg Watts has a real knack at telling a story. The narrative just flows along. A first rate read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 7 Mar 2005
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
Wow! This is a brilliant book. I only picked it up by chance when I walked into a local bookshop. I read a couple of pages and liked the style. It's about a London gangster and how he turned away from a life of violence and drug deals. At times, the story is quite brutal, but it's well handles by author Greg Watts. John Pridmore was a man full of rage. At one point, he gets a gun and goes looking for a man who upset him in a pub. And then he nearly kills another man outside a bar. But his life undergoes a massive transformation. If I tell you any more, I might spoil the story. This is a terriffic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incedible story, 8 Mar 2005
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading From Gangland to Promised Land. I the read it again the next day. It's an extraordianry story and one that would make a great film. It has everything: edge of your seat stuff, deeply moving moments, struggles and inspiration. A brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book, 24 Nov 2004
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
what a wonderful inspirational read this is, its for anyone. im going to buy 20 and give them to all my friends for christmas. you can't put it down once you've picked it up. Read it in one night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 7 Mar 2005
This review is from: From Gangland to Promised Land (Paperback)
A friend in Ireland sent me this book, as I like crime stories. But while this is a crime story, it's not like any I've read before. It's fantastic and inspiring! I've now lent it to a mate at work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

From Gangland to Promised Land
From Gangland to Promised Land by Greg Watts (Paperback - 1 Nov 2004)