Published on 29 Nov. 2009 by R. Hooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but OK
Good content, succinctly put together and ideal for students or a non-specialist (like me!) teaching the book for the first time.

Published on 25 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but OK, 25 July 2011
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)

However, the sub-editing (or authorship!) is very suspect - lots and lots of howling errors of syntax and punctuation (and even spelling - e.g. "Whitson" holiday), which I found very off-putting. Certainly I'll not be copying bits verbatim to my students (under fair use, of course), as they will be misled as to what constitutes decent written English. Would've expected better from an English teacher author....

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the basics-Definitely won't get you an A like it says!, 18 May 2014
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)
I ordered this "study guide" for my AS level English literature exam. Unfortunately, it was only good for making you think about what Greene has written instead of telling you. I ordered this because it looked like something that could help me due to the poor teaching in the english department in my sixth form, but it didn't really do the job for the edexcel exam. This guide won't get you an A like it says! There were a lot of spelling mistakes such as "Darrow" not "Dallow" and it was really off putting, along with the general poor sentence structure. When I ordered this, a friend of mine also bought it and she got a completely different product to the one I had. She had an extra 50 pages added to her version and I felt like I was disadvantaged. I wouldn't have paid the price for this guide if I knew what it was going to be like. Personal opinion: Buy a second hand one. You will only write in it and make notes in it, if that. There were some "ok"practice essay questions in the guide, but they had all come up on past exam papers. It would have been nice to have been given some different and obscure questions that could come up in the future. For example this years edexcel question was "How Greene created suspense in the novel". I and others were definitely not expecting a question like that. This product didn't really do the job for me, and I feel let down by it. And I'm sad to say that I am feeling very negative about getting my English result in August after the exam went terribly due to the lack of knowledge that I was hoping to get from this guide. I will be putting mine back on here to trade in. I won't be needing this guide any longer because I won't be carrying on to A2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking notes for students who want to think outside the box., 29 Nov. 2009
R. Hooper (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)
This set of A Level Notes (like Jane Gibson's notes on other A Level texts) is well put together, clear and thought-provoking. It deals with the main themes of the novel, the context of Greene's work and even includes a sample essay (which demonstrates how these carefully-considered ideas might be expressed in an exam situation). Here we have a move away from the usual 'hoop-jumping' approach to A-levels; this set of notes is structured in such a way that the reader/student is encouraged to think outside the Assessment Objectives, yet also to have enough material to be able to move nimbly through them. These notes are perfect for students who want to enrich their reading of the novel and push their ideas that bit further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)
Great opinions, largely based on the religious connotations of the book, really insightful! Would really recommend for Edexcel exam board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)
Very useful, well written and informative

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but too long., 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock (Paperback)
The infomation is useful, but it will be perfect if it is in short paragraphs.

A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock
A-Level Notes on Graham Greene's Brighton Rock by Jane Gibson (Paperback - 29 Sept. 2008)
Out of stock