5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by Ms. Elizabeth Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars hold your breathe
I have had asthma for 30 years and this may help you if you are new to asthma but essentially - I didn't think there was anything other than breathe through your nose and relax so not very helpful - the book weaves around without actually ever getting into detail of what the breathing exercises are not for me
Published 15 months ago by JennyD

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Asthma Free Naturally: Reverse Asthma Using the Buteyko Breathing Method, Suitable for All Adults and Children (includes Free Buteyko CD) (Paperback)
I have suffered from a chronic 'asthmatic type' cough for 20 yrs, had all the relevant tests, tried lots of different drugs, but nothing seemed to manage it long term. Apparantly I, along with hundreds of other people are a mystery to modern medicine! I am aware of what my tiggers are - there are many, so avoid them where I can, I excercise regularly, have never smoked & have a good diet, but still couldn't find a way to stop coughing every single night, every morning & sporadically during the day.
In an attempt to solve the problem & the desire not to want to be on heavy drugs for the rest of my life, I decided to try and solve it from a different angle.
Quite by chance, I came across this book & decided it was worth a punt for £10 or so & boy am I so glad I did.
Why oh why don't the medical profession suggest trying this method - you can't lose anything by trying it & if like me,just after 2 weeks of starting the excercises, it allows you to be drug free, to sleep all night long & not be keeled over by coughing fits and resultant wheezing, then it HAS to be worth trying.
The book is fascinating, easy to read, full of common sense & it is all so logical. It is also very clear that you have to do it in a safe way, especially if you are going to reduce any medication.
It does take dedication to regularly do the excercises, but if you are serious about trying to tackle your breathing/coughing difficulties, then it is so, so worth the effort.
I would highly recommend it, I mention it to anyone who has asthma or lung problems as even if it only helps you 25%, then from someone who had trouble breathing, being able to breathe far more easily is a gift you never take for granted. My only regret is that I hadn't known about this 20 years ago!
My husband thinks his Christmases have come all at once, as he is no longer woken up by my hacking, wheezy coughs!
Come on medical profession, be more open minded & suggest straight forward, safe alternatives that don't depend on drug companies! You have nothing to lose - well except for any handouts from the drug companies maybe!

5.0 out of 5 stars This will help, 20 Feb 2011
I would recommend this book to anyone with asthmatic children. My six-year old and I have been practising this method for about 6 months now and we haven't used his reliever medication or been to the doctor since last August. He suffers from virus-induced asthma and has successfully got through 2 colds and one feverish cold (may even have been swine flu) without a single wheeze.
The nasal breathing is wonderful and because he has learned how to unblock his nose and stop his cough, the downward spiral into an asthma attack just doesn't happen any more. We're going to try weaning him off his preventer inhaler in the spring. I can't wait!
I would also recommend homoeopathic treatment to asthma sufferers (Spongeia works just as efficiently as Ventolin), since the medical profession doesn't seem to be able to do anything to improve the condition. It makes me wonder how much the pharmaceutical industry is paying them!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 Mar 2011
I was searching for an alternative to the thought of taking asthma medicine for the rest of my life. After reading about Buteyko on the internet, I was keen to try it and felt that I needed a resource that offered a practical guide. This book has certainly been that for me. Not only does it explain the Buteyko theory and detail a number of exercises, it also comes with a CD to help you practice Buteyko. Furthermore, the book also discusses the nature of asthma, its causes and how Buteyko can be supported by lifestyle, diet and exercise. This is an excellent and empowering resource for anyone wanting to take control of their health.

5.0 out of 5 stars My experiences with Buteyko, 5 Sep 2013
David Nyman (York, UK) - See all my reviews
I should preface this "review" by saying that I haven't read this book, so you'll have to judge its particular merits by the testimony of those who have. However I do have a lot of experience with the method itself, having stumbled upon Buteyko breathing in the late 90's. I experienced quite debilitating asthmatic symptoms from about my mid-twenties until my early thirties. In retrospect, I realised that I'd experienced some symptoms earlier on during childhood (especially exercise and
cold-induced spasms) but this had been downplayed despite (or perhaps because of) there being considerable family history of asthma on my mother's side

When symptoms became more severe in my twenties, I was prescribed the usual salbutamol inhalers; they were welcome and effective at first, but later I became convinced they were making things worse. On my own initiative I experimented with cromoglycate prophylaxis, with fairly good success. This allowed me to start exercising systematically, and I was able in this way to eliminate most symptoms and become progressively more resistant to my usual triggers (dust, cold air, red wine, full stomach, exercise, viruses etc.). The need for cromoglycate or other interventions fell off correspondingly to near-zero.

By the time I encountered Buteyko's ideas in my late forties, I was a long-established regular exerciser (mainly running, walking with hand-weights and calisthenics) and also enjoyed fairly strenuous hillwalking, biking and skiing without being troubled by spasm. I still occasionally suffered some troubling wheezing symptoms, however, especially if I had a more than usually heavy cold. Occasionally these involved an emergency trip to the doctor's surgery and consequently I still didn't think of myself definitively as an "ex-asthmatic". But as soon as I began to experiment with Buteyko's recommendations for nasal breathing and breath-holding I immediately intuited the inverse relationship between breathing volume and effectiveness; it was like a revelation. Now I had a simple and effective technique that I could apply at the first signs of any wheeze or nasal blockage; consequently any residual fear of an "attack" that might require medication quickly receded into the background

In the beginning, however, I didn't apply these insights to my exercise habits; it took a while to overcome my reluctance to accept the initial reduction in intensity. After a while however, curiosity got the better of me and I became determined to become a permanent nose-breather. As things stand now, I've been exercising with nasal breathing exclusively for well over ten years. It did indeed take a while to adapt at first and I had to slow down - especially when temperatures were colder - but after a few months of increasing familiarisation I found (to my surprise) that I was able to perform at pretty much any level of effort I wanted without feeling any pressure to switch to mouth breathing. These days I run, sprint, hill-walk, ski, weight train and perform other variously lengthy and strenuous activities in this way. Consequently in my sixties asthma is now only a memory - I don't get colds much either and hardly remember a respiratory infection of any kind.

In summary, this method deserves to be much more widely known and is certainly worth a concentrated effort on the part of anyone who finds their life limited by chronic bronchial spasm. The freedom from the over-concern and anxiety that the threat of an asthma attack tends to impose on its sufferers is alone worth the investment of the time it takes to master these simple but effective techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic!, 15 May 2012
The book and cd has taught me how to relax and calm my breathing and coughing in a very short time using the nose breathing exercises. Simply amazing! I have been in nursing for many years and thought i knew the best way to treat Asthma,but now i know from personal experience that the Buteyko breathing method described by Patrick McKeown in his book Asthma Free naturally is so effective,you must try it. Why struggle with asthma when this book may be able to help you? I cannot recommend this enough. Try it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a Life, 15 Feb 2013
I developed an asthma condition when I gave up smoking. At one stage the asthma was so bad that in desperation I even thought of going back on the cigarettes. When I was hospitalised with chronic asthma, someone (basically a guardian angel) told me about Buteyko. I went on one of the author's courses and got the book Asthma-Free Naturally: Everything you need to know about taking control of your asthma. Everything changed within weeks. I was able to give up my reliever medication and gradually reduce my dependence on preventer medication. I'm swimming, cycling and sleeping well. I can (almost) keep up with my 5 year old grandson. The book changed everything and I felt that I had got my life back. I couldn't over emphasise the value of this book to asthmatics. One word of warning: the author makes it clear that you have to buy into the method fully and he's right. You HAVE TO do the work, but it's well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle Cure, 4 April 2014
I can only say this from experience, but after following the advice in this book on how to stop an asthma attack (or equivalently the video on the author's Asthma Care Ireland web site entitled 'How to stop an asthma attack') my asthma problem of 15 years was cured virtually immediately. Up until then I thought that without my Ventolin inhaler I could easily die of one of my asthma attacks, which at times could be severe enough to require emergency oxygen treatment in my GP's surgery. I lived in fear of asthma - it is a frightening condition, and I know of numerous people who have died because of it. But now this method of cure really is a miracle, I sometimes think this is just a dream and I will wake up. But no - this is for real - I have had virtual total elimination of asthma for 18 months now, and not one single puff of an inhaler in all that time. When asthma does come, the Buteyko method of dealing with it dispatches it within minutes if not seconds. It is quite remarkable just how effective it is. It probably sounds like I am trying to sell something, but I am just amazed at this method, and how it has changed my life for the better - I just want to share that information, that is all!

So I cannot say it will work for every single case, but my case was a fairly typical one I think, an asthma that came and went, but at times could be quite severe and alarming. The terrible truth is, the continued use of reliever inhalers will progressively make asthma worse, as happened to me. And more and more puffs are needed to get relief. I was at times requiring 10 puffs to get relief, the maximum amount according to my doctor.

Using the information in the above video alone I was able to cure my asthma, and did so within 5 minutes of learning the word Buteyko after a Google search for alternative cures for asthma. Up until then I believed there was no cure for asthma, and did a search only out of desperation. I was pretty shocked by what I found.

The proof is in trying it, when it works that's all you need to know. Reports of 90% reduction in reliever inhaler within 3 months are often made, but with me it was 100% reduction within 5 minutes. I never needed an inhaler ever again after that first attempt at the Buteyko method of stopping an asthma attack. Now 18 months on, I am confident enough to go anywhere WITHOUT an inhaler.

Alternative health treatments are a lot more effective than I ever expected - and others worth checking out are : Turmeric (an utterly incredible list of health benefits), Omega 3 Fish Oil, Green Tea, and the book Back Chat by Gary Trainer (can be very effective for back problems).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic technique!, 30 Sep 2012
This book seems to be an update of Patrick's previous book with the same title and it should be recommended to every asthma sufferer! I am so glad to have stumbled across this book when I suddenly suffered from asthma and found myself unable to walk quickly across the street or to climb any stairs without having to pause for a good 5 minutes in order to get my breath back again. While I was reading this this book, my asthma improved dramatically and I was suddenly able to sleep all night and to walk further and further every day. Now after a few years reducing breathing I am almost asthma free with only a minimal dose of preventer. Life is so good. Thank you so much for such a beautiful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Therapy, 17 Aug 2012
As a professional engineer and somewhat medically aware person who has asthma and nasal polyps and whose medication is becoming increasingly ineffective, I bought this book with some desperation. I found it very interesting indeed.

The author presents a clear strategy for improving asthma, nasal blockage and possibly other respiratory ailments by certain breathing exercises, pioneered by the Russian physician Konstantin Buteyko from the 1970s approx, which I believe are very plausible. He also discusses existing traditional medication often prescribed for these conditions with their pros and cons and also some statistics on the long term effects and some qualified medical opinions on them as well.

I have mentioned the Buteyko method with my GP, who said that it has indeed been found to be effective, but could not explain why! Although "scientifically" unexplained, I must say that I am disappointed that possibly very important and helpful information like this is not readily brought to patients attention. There is a chance it could help a lot of people I think.

Having had the book for about three weeks and doing the exercises, I am now fairly convinced that this is the way to go!
It just feels naturally right to me. The Buteyko proposition that hyperventilating or overbreathing (which apparently, a lot of us do)is a major cause of respiratory inflammation, seems to me entirely plausible. I feel this might be the breakthrough I was looking for to try to get off the powerful and debilitating drugs I currently need to breath.

Only time will tell, but so far I thoroughly recommend this book!

Carl Tharme

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!, 19 Mar 2013
M. SALIM - See all my reviews
This book will literally set you free from the the clutches of the Pharacom.

An easy read which explains the Buteyko Technique in a clear and easy manner, lots of useful tips and hints to help aid all Asthma Sufferers. After reading this book it has given me hope and confidence to live my life to the full without being tied to medication.
Lots of upsides that you will discover when you get to grips with the technique, you feel more energised and know how to maintain and regulate your breathing.

A book and technique the medical profession need to take stock.

The least you will get out of this book is how you to use medication effectively and deal with asthma without fear of an attack

A definite manual for all Asthmatics