Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2005
An excellent reference guide for boxing training. Covers techniques, equipment, drills, nutrition, and even how to apply hand wraps. There are some excellent sample training programmes in there aswell. Would reccommend it to beginners or anyone looking for new ideas or information on how to maximise their training.
on 18 July 2009
I'm a complete novice to boxing and have been training for a mere few weeks for fitness rather than any desire to fight in the ring. I bought this book because it promised to contain pertinent information to get me started written by a Londoner with 30 years experience.

I was right - it does and in both a humorous and informative way. As a female attempting to learn to box on her own in the gym I found it rather encouraging to have references made to women boxers with sound advice - albeit a bit tongue in cheek sometimes - see the reference to having a pee before skipping!!! Cheeky sod, but so so true!

All in all a great reference tool for learning the basics of boxing with many excellent instructional photographs and the sense that the author has an invaluable history of both doing and teaching boxing.

One last thing, I'd also recommend "The Gleason's Gym total body boxing workout for women" by Hector Roca and Bruce Silverglade for my fellow female boxers, especially if you're a fan of Million Dollar Baby - its a variation of the workout Hillary Swank did to get in fighting shape.

I'd recommend the above book to anyone starting out who wants a no nonsense approach to getting fit through boxing. Worth the pennies.
on 31 October 2009
Like all combat sports, boxing is a martial art and the only way to learn it is by going out their and doing it with a qualified instructor or skilled practitioner, that being said this book is great,teaching the nature and type of sport boxing is today. if your acquainted with the workout routines mentioned within the book it serves as a reminder of how to make them most effective and assures safe practice, keeping you on the path to boxing fitness. This book even contains a chapter on boxing nutrition and maintaining a balanced diet. It by no means is a professional boxing book in terms of advance technique and fighting strategy but rather a workout tool for common exercises used by boxers of all skill levels.
on 25 October 2005
This book is perfect if you know absolutely nothing about the training side of boxing and the physical requirements of it.

It goes through all the types of punches, how to stand and using your body weight while doing them, goes through good routines and advantages of doing running, weights, skipping, sparing and much more.
This is just the type of book that i was looking for and highly recommend it to anyone with no experience of boxing and want to get into it, and also learn how to get fighting fit.
on 16 July 2006
Overall this book gives you a good intro into fitness for boxing, but my main criticisms are;

1/ There isn't enough detail about actual exercise form. If you aren't already familiar with the exercise, you'll have to look it up somewhere else.

2/ There is only 1 actual workout (beginners are told to half each exercise). Although the book goes into swiss ball, medecine ball, weights etc, none of these are included in the workout.

The overall layout is 'you could do this, or this, or this, or this', but I wanted a guide to get fighting fit - not a 'work out yourself how to get fighting fit'.

However, if you are used to exercise and building your own routines, there's plenty of ideas that are probably new to you. And even though there's only one routine - it's tough !
on 4 February 2006
I'd read that boxers are very fit so bought this book to see if there were any tricks I could use. I did the solo training workout for a month or so, alongside my usual running and weights. I also tried skipping which although it was difficult to get coordinated at first made surprising differences to my cv abilities. I also used the swiss ball for the first time - previously I'd used it for sit ups but the book had many more exercises that I'd never thought of. I also found the calisthenics ideas great too and found a new bit of kit - the power wheel - which I hate but is very effective!
So all in all the new exercises have totally spiced up my training, and I've definitely lost body fat (I have some body fat scales so can measure it) and weight, and my core muscles feel much stronger. I've also discovered a new stress relief system in hitting the punchbag! Given that I have bought a huge number of fitness books and most of them lay gathering dust not adding anything to my regular gym routine this has been a great investment.
on 2 May 2016
I am a new attendee at my local boxing gym and wanted to read around the sport out of pure interest. I like that Mr. Oliver has focussed his book on the complete beginner and has a variety of topics to read through. I was encouraged that the bulk of training tips he talks about have been used in our gym and it is obvious from his writing that Mr. Oliver knows his topic well and has years of experience. I'm reading this again a second time as there's so much in it to read through. The images at the back for how to apply hand wraps are confusing though and I think some of the images are around the wrong way? Otherwise a fantastic read and a good purchase for anyone wishing to learn more about this fantastic sport.
on 22 February 2005
All you need to get started and fit!!!! Just the right amount of info to get you started boxing for fitness. Really works and is great fun. My only critism is that there isnt a follow up book for people who want to develop more!!
on 28 January 2012
i love this book. I bought it for reference as I use boxing in some of my exercise classes and personal training. It is a great book which tells you the basics and some advanced information about boxing, circuit training, resistnce trining, etc...
on 23 July 2009
This book is well-written and quite explanatory for the beginner level boxer. It gives all the basics that you need to learn. But after being a little bit proficient it will not be sufficient. For the beginners I highly recommend it.