1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Quality, 30 April 2006
Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tarot of Prague: A Tarot Deck Based on the Art and Architecture of the "Magic City" (Card & Booklet) (Cards)
Originally available in a limited edition book & card set, the Tarot of Prague is now available as a "stand alone" purchase.

Based on the Magic City of Prague, this deck uses a photomosiac style and the images on the cards are taken from various statues, monuments & architecture from around the city.

The cards are highly detailed and the majority very brightly coloured - almost garish. The paper stock used in this deck has changed since the original issue. The initial "book & Card" set were very thick and not plastic coated, so my main concern was that they would become grubby or dirty. This deck is now a step toward the more "normal" tarot card. (ie thinner & plastic coated) so whilst not as luxurious, it is certainly more practical.

Tarot cards are often a very personal choice so I always find it difficult to write a review for this kind of product, as a reader needs to handle the cards and get a feel for them. As the inspiration for many are taken from statues & buildings, a lot of the cards felt a little impersonal and a bit...well...cold? Unusually for me, I actually preferred the minor arcana cards in this deck and the major felt even more distant.

Don't get me wrong, with it's beautiful presented imagary, you can sense the time & care that has gone into these cards and this beautiful deck quality oozes out of every pore. Initially I didn't feel immediately drawn to the deck, yet I find myself coming back to this deck time & time again and the visual representations really capture the imagination and seem to "stick" in the mind.

I originally gave the book & cards pack 4 stars, but as time as proven, together with the now vastly reduced price I can safely award these 5 stars!