5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tarot-and not just for tarot addicts !, 4 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tarot of Prague set: A Tarot deck and book based on the art and architecture of the "Magic City": A Tarot Based on the Art and Architecture of the Magic City (Boxed Set) (Hardcover)
There are lots of Tarot decks about these days, many of them accompanied by books. I have a few of them myself. Generally, I choose them because the artwork appeals to me strongly. Having seen a few examples of the Tarot of Prague cards on various websites, I decided I'd really like this deck.
And I do. The creators, both of whom live in Prague, are deeply immersed in the art and architecture of that beautiful and romantic city..The designs on the cards are derived from paintings,sculptures, house-signs,statues all over the city, reflecting a variety of styles-Renaissance, Art Nouveau, Art Deco.There is something here for everybody. The colours are attractive, quite bright without being garish. But the real surprise of this deck, and the thing that places it above many other excellent decks,is the accompanying book. Again, this has been a labour of love by the deck's creators-it is well-written, and could be an introduction to tarot as well as a pleasure for the more-advanced tarot collector/reader.Unlike many Tarot books, it is not teeming with New Age cliches or psychobabble.It serves a double function:deepening one's knowledge of Tarot and also whetting one's appetite for Prague. You can find out about alchemy here, and the Golem, and the weird and wonderful Rudolf the Second, seventeenth-century ruler of Bohemia and collector extraordinaire of strange and fascinating objects, many of which can still be seen in one of the city's many museums.
Every time I open the book, and every time I open the deck of cards, there's a new pleasure, a discovery, something to reflect upon.Well worth the price, elegantly presented, fully deserving of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy, but cold., 7 Sep 2004
Gary Hilton "ursinebrute" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Anyone who knows anything about Tarot will be aware that this was one of the most talked about decks last year.
Based on the Magic City of Prague, this deck uses a photomosiac style and the images on the cards are taken from various statues, monuments & architecture from around the city. The accompanying book is really excellent and goes into great detail about the source of the material.
The cards are highly detailed and the majority very brightly coloured - almost garish. The paper stock used is quite unusual though - quite thick and not plastic coated like most modern decks or playing cards, however I am a bit worried that this deck will become grubby or marked a lot sooner that other decks? Time will tell.
Tarot cards are often a very personal choice so I always find it difficult to write a review for this kind of product, as a reader needs to handle the cards and get a feel for them. For me however, much as I liked the artwork the cards felt a little (just a little mind) cold. As the inspiration for many are taken from statues, a lot of the cards felt a little impersonal and not.....well.....human? Unusually for me, I actually preferred the minor arcana cards in this deck and the major felt even more distant.
Don't get me wrong, with its beautiful presented cards in a tie style binder (stamped with a limited edition number on the inside cover) and the 300 page book, this really is a beautiful deck and quality oozes out of every pore, and even though it didn't work for me I still rate this deck 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Tarot Deck!, 24 Dec 2013
I had read a lot about the Tarot of Prague and had seen images of some of the cards on the internet. When I received this tarot deck, I was not disappointed. The quality of the printing is excellent, and I would recommend this deck to anyone who reads tarot cards. However, since this is a limited-run collector's set, it may be difficult to find, and if you do, the price will reflect the fact that this is a collector's item. I haven't had the time yet to read the accompanying book, but I'm sure it will prove to be an excellent companion to the cards. Highly recommended for those who appreciate interesting, colorful graphics in their tarot cards.