5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Really Amazing

2.0 out of 5 stars DPM
Published on 14 April 2007 by O. J. Topple

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Really Amazing, 16 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: DPM - Disruptive Pattern Material: An Encyclopaedia of Camouflage: Nature, Military and Culture (Hardcover)
This book is enormous, really. It is not easy to talk about briefly because its size and contents are so vast. Not only is its page size large, it is also unusually thick, with very nearly 1000 pages of full-color images and text. It may at first sound pricey, but when you see and (assuming you have the physical strength) hold the actual thing, it's hard to believe that it isn't a lot more expensive. It is, as announced by the subtitle, an encyclopedia of camouflage. But it really is far, far more than that. Only one dimension of it is military, since there are countless examples of pattern disruption in art, nature and culture. There is no other book quite like it. To own it is a must, I think, for anyone who is interested in natural form, the visual arts, deception, mimicry, and pattern play. Just in the first reading, it will keep you occupied for months. My prediction: It will be widely purchased by those who are interested in camouflage patterns and their social implications, and by those who are interested in extraordinary books, whatever the subject.

2.0 out of 5 stars DPM, 14 April 2007
O. J. Topple - See all my reviews
I buy alot of larger art based books, and after reading the review above, felt that the asking figure for this book was acceptable; as a student, I try only to ensure I get my moneys worth. In this case I truly feel I haven't. The packaging is cheap feeling, even for the highly dicounted Amazon price, and the book is not compiled in a way that justifies £65 either. I have a few boxed editions of books housing multiple titles, and this is by far the cheapest feeling, yet nearly the most expensive. It has the look and feel of a children's book. The subject is one I am very interested in, and thought this was the perfect book for me. Whilst it does cover a lot of ground, if what you want is a catalogue of camouflage, with intelligent, detailed and extensive relevant imagery, this is not for you. If you want a largely crass, primitive and rather infantile book, presented in a rather tawdry fashion, then i would no doubt recommend this book. Each camouflage has been photographed in the smaller of the two books, but the sample images are credit card sized, and often overshadowed by highly unrelated photographs.

Try and have a look at the title before you part with the cash. In my informed opinion, as an art/photography/design book collector, it does in no way satisfy the deficit it has left in my student bank account.

Used & New from: £325.00