5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you're not a veggie this book is great :)
This book has so many tasty vegetarian dishes to cook! The instructions are simple to follow....the sweet and spicy pilau is great!! Also some great smoothies and soups, very healthy!!
Published on 18 Oct 2006 by R.achel

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible.
Being a vegetarian student I thought a book like this might come in use. It doesn't.

If you want a book with complicated and expensive recipes, you're in luck. The main reason I got the book, for its weekly food planner is just useless. It gives you a shopping list of what you'll need to buy for the week ahead and even an estimated price. How awesome is that...
Published on 1 Feb 2012 by Dan Breyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you're not a veggie this book is great :), 18 Oct 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best !, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Vegetarian Nosh for Students: A Fun Student Cookbook - See Every Recipe in Full Colour - 30% More Recipes Than Previous Edition. VEGETARIAN SOCIETY APPROVED (Paperback)
At the age of 53, I am definitely not a student - I bought this book because I am vegetarian and live alone. It's extremely difficult to find recipes that cater for one - most start at 4 portions. I absolutely LOVE this book because it doesn't demand great cookery skill, doesn't expect you to own loads of equipment & most of the main ingredients (pasta, rice etc) are what I normally stock in my food cupboard. The recipes are interesting and I love working out a weeks recipes in advance (something which Joy suggests at the beginning of the book)so that I use all perishable items and don't end up wasting food. The recipes are quick, easy, cheap and tasty and I love coming home from work each day and cooking my evening meal. I shop at Asda and find that shopping there and sticking to my weekly meal plan has considerably reduced my food bills & I am eating a lot more healthily (& happily!) than I was previously.
My favourite recipes are the Green Pesto Pasta with Broccoli (I could live on that recipe alone!), and the Cheesy Rice & Spinach Slice. I have made all the soup recipes & they are absolutely brilliant particularly the Apple & Cashew Soup. Also the Jacket Potato with Egg Mayonnaise & Sweetcorn has become a Saturday lunchtime favourite - such a simple idea - cheap & nutritious but looks and tastes great. One little tip for people making the Savoury Cheesecake - use flavoured Philadelphia - the one with chives is brilliant but I'm planning to make it with the sweet chilli-flavoured cheese next time. Most of the recipes are extremely versatile - I would suggest cooking from the recipe the first time then you will know what tweeks you can make (I don't like tomatoes so use other vegetables & mushroom or celery soup in place of tinned tomatoes).
I have just lost four stone and am now trying to maintain a normal, healthy weight - I serve most of the meals with a small side salad and the portions are about right for me - in the non-vegetarian book the recipes which are marked as 2 > 3 portions are definitely 3 portions - I always end up freezing the third portion.
Any small criticisms I have of this book are that the weekly meal planners do not include all the items needed (e.g. the one in the front of the book doesn't include lentils which are needed for the bolognese) but otherwise I think the book is marvellous and I have just bought the non-vegetarian version which has a vegetarian chapter as well as lots of recipes which use sausages and therefore vegetarians can make those dishes as well using their favourite vegetarian bangers (I like the Cauldron ones best). I have already make the Chocolate Mint Slice from the baking chapter - WARNING! all your family & friends will demand the recipe for this. I made it for my work colleagues & by the time I had made a cup of tea & returned to the office it had disappeared so I didn't get any! I'm going to make a coffee version next week and use white chocolate for the top, sprinkle it with a crumbled-up Cadbury's Flake & call it Cappuchino Slice!
My sister-in-law was so impressed by this book that she bought it for my neice when she started uni. All the youngsters in my family enjoy looking at the recipes and enjoy eating the food too!
Many thanks, Joy, for a brilliant book - I'm sure it's brilliant for students but for us older ones who are by themselves, are not great cooks but want cheap, nutritious, interesting meals, you can't do better than buy this book. Please, please, please keep the books coming and don't just aim them at students - there are plenty of people who want to cook their own meals, are on a tight budget, don't have amazing cookery skills/equipment and need something like this to get them started and in these times of recession we need more books like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 Aug 2007
A. L. Smith - See all my reviews
I would definitely recommend this book for anyone going to uni in September, I have just graduated and still turn to it loads both for ideas and directions in the kitchen! The recipes are seriously tasty and I find it so good to have a picture of each one because then I know what it is supposed to turn out like...Also, the recipes are easily adaptable for different numbers of people eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Veggie Student should have one!!!!, 30 May 2007
The brilliant photos in this book really do make it a winner. If I am going to cook with confidence I really do need to see how it should turn out before I start. My favourites are the Nutty Veg Crumble and Vegetable Lasagna. The Smoothies are great too and so easy to make - brilliant on hot summer days (we wish!) and when there are plently of good fresh fruit around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 1 Sep 2009
I bought this a couple of weeks ago to give me time to practice recipes for uni, and it's just fantastic! The meals are not only quick and easy to cook (in fact, I needn't have bothered practicing!) but are also tasty, healthy and filling. There are colour photos of every recipe, and extra advice such as how long you can keep certain foodstuffs, sample shopping lists and meal plans etc. It sticks to simple ingredients unlike may vegetarian cook books which send you running to the nearest specialist food shop and also sticks to the minimal amount so that all recipes are realistic to cook on a student budget. I am now truly looking forward to cooking from this book and recommend it thoroughly (particularly the corn soup as it's delicious!)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite veggie cookbook (at the moment), 27 Feb 2011
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm not a student any more, but I still have a student attitude to cooking. I want food that's tasty and substantial, with the minimum of bother.

What I like about this cookbook is that the recipes are all really simple, usually 4 or 5 steps, with sensibly short lists of ingredients, nothing too expensive or exotic, no fussy measurements (it's mostly in teaspoons and mugfulls), and a colour photo to show what you're aiming at.

I made the aubergine curry last night, and like all the recipes from this book that I've tried so far, it turned out really well. It took about 25 minutes to make, the last half of which was waiting for the rice to cook and the curry to simmer.

It's a slim book, but cheap, and I'd recommend it to any new veggie cook. The rough measurements encourage experimentation and improvisation, which will lead you on to discovering variations of your own - which is often the most satisfying part of cooking.

Only one minor niggle: some of the recipes use pesto and parmesan, which can be hard to find in a veggie-friendly form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 5 Nov 2009
Mr. M. D. Brocket (Sheffield,England.) - See all my reviews
Bought as a present and it was very well received. Just the sort of book for students, no fancy weighing of ingredients as they all have a teaspoon and a mug, and the section on" How long can I keep this before it kills me" is surely a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for students and non-students alike!, 19 Jan 2013
Okay, okay - I am no longer a student! I didn't make a mistake and accidently buy this book; I bought it on purpose - I wasn't disappointed! My shelves are lined with plenty of cookbooks: vegetarian ones and top-TV chefs but I was tired of looking through them with dozens of ingredients and long preperation times. I wanted to know how to cook simple dishes, the classics, if you like, that I knew that everybody in my house would like. But, I'm a busy lady and I really didn't want many ingredients nor long prep. times.

I was not disappointed! Lots of these types of books don't have pictures. These photographs are bright, colourful and take the whole page. You don't even need weighing scales - it's all cups. There's a list of stock cupboard essentials too, plus ideas for breakfast and lunches. Best of all, the recipes are dead simple. And everybody has loved them so far! I've done a pastry-less quiche (delicious!), a spicey courgette bake, a vegetable and cheese bake and also a declicious meditteranean pasta (very popular with my food-picky Father!).

Overall a brilliant cookbook: this is officially my favourite. Just one thing, the recipes are usually for one or two people; just double up the ingreedients to cook for more people.

4.0 out of 5 stars students veg nosh book, 16 Jan 2013
Bought this book for add on Christmas present for student grandaughter. she is very pleased with it I cant wait to try out some of the meals with her cooking them of course

5.0 out of 5 stars nosh for students, 10 Jan 2013
I bought one for my granddaughter who was off to Uni then bought a second one for myself! some good recipes and tips.