5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny and instructive in equal turns, 1 Sep 2002
This review is from: Get Those Sheep Off the Pitch!: A Life in Non-league Football (Paperback)
I'm not a big football fan. I watch the odd game. I've often wondered what it's like to actually manage a team. Is it as flawless and pressure-driven as it looks? Phil Staley has managed every non-league team in the country and in Get Those Sheep Off The Pitch he makes the experience come to life in a way which is instructive, funny and, at times, poignant. I read his book at a siting and the next day I went out and bought three more for the rest of my family. I guess I'm going to be really polular this Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your not famous anymore...., 9 Feb 2003
Having read the reviews I was looking forward to reading this book. My first impression with the quality of the book, or lack of it, was not good. Not a Premiershio publishing company. Never one to judge a book by its cover I began my vicarious journey through the non-league world of Phil Staley's football.
As a Man City fan I could empathise with his rollercoaster ride of emotions and hard done to tails. The stories are witty. They have a knack of bringing you down to Earth which seems so far removed from the Sky sponsored prima donnas that strut about our beautifull beach like pitches on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or even Friday afternoon or evening in the "proper" leagues.
Only things that I felt spoilt the fishy tail was Phil's overuse of cliches (just like that one!). Also, the cover price, [...] for what is really a fat fanzine is a lot to pay. Other than that it's a very good read and I would recommend it to any footy or non-footy fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars The soul of football laid bare, 12 Sep 2002
By A Customer
I read Phil Staley's book in one sitting. His real-life stories of managing non-league football clubs paint a vivid, often-hilarious picture of life at the side of the pitch and in the players' dressing room. When I got to the part where he was paid in fish I had tears in my eyes. This will definitely be my bulk-buy for stocking fillers this Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop laughing!, 24 Sep 2002
By A Customer
Without doubt the funniest footy book I have ever read. When I got to the bit about the red setter I had tears rolling down my face. How did he get away with it?
In these days of millionaire players and £40 match tickets, it is great to be able to read a book about the true heart and soul of football. Forget Roy Keane's autobiography - if you only buy one football book this year, make sure it's this one. The best two and a half hours I've had this year - but don't tell the wife!

5.0 out of 5 stars A best seller, 14 Aug 2008
One of the best footballing books I've read.
I've seen Phil Staley's antics in a dugout at first hand and the book didn't let him down one bit and the only disappointing thing for me was it wasn't bigger because I'm sure that were many hilarious stories he could tell.
The man is a Legend in Non-League football and the book gives a frank assesment of what life is like in the dugout.
If you can buy it you won't be disappointed I can assure you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for any REAL non-league soccer fan, 24 April 2003
By A Customer
Phil Staley's book is absolutely hilarious from front to back.
It will open the eyes of soccer fans of "prima donna" Premiership teams of the real-life struggles that take place just to survive in the world of "non league" soccer.
Two small downsides are the small number of pages in the book, and also the price.
But don't be put off, get out and buy it, you won't be disappointed !

5.0 out of 5 stars Get This Man on TV, 13 Mar 2003
By A Customer
Hilarious from start to finish - and not just for footy fans. Phil Staley's book reads like a screenplay and it's a hundred times funnier than the "right-on" garbage like "Bend It Like Beckham", etc. Witty, visual and even a few pages of pathos as he recounts his failing marriage...but it doesn't last long as he moves swiftly onto the next scandalous escapade. Brilliant stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Those Sheep Off The Pitch !, 11 April 2003
By A Customer
I agree with all the earlier reviews of this book.
It is absolutely hilarious and a "must" for ALL GENUINE followers of Non-League Football.
Only two downsides :
It's only approx.130 pages long and at almost £10 its expensive.
Nevertheless I recommend you to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well received gift, 8 Feb 2014
This was bought as a Christmas present & the recipient laughed out loud at some of the chapters and really enjoyed this book. I now want to read it myself!

Get Those Sheep Off the Pitch!: A Life in Non-league Football
Get Those Sheep Off the Pitch!: A Life in Non-league Football by Phil Staley (Paperback - 1 July 2002)
Used & New from: £8.50