1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Insert Clever Title Here, 5 May 2008
Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Green Spirituality: Magic in the Midst of Life (Paperback)
Yeah, I couldn't think of one. But anyways, 'Green Spirituality' was one of those books that I bought on a whim which sat in my wardrobe for ages, and I kept looking at it thinking 'I'll never get around to reading it!' Luckily, I bucked the trend of ignoring certain books I buy and started reading it. I'm so glad I did.

'Green Spirituality' by Rosa Romani is one of those books which will either change your view of things forever or simply do nothing for you. I was in the former category.

What's It About?
'Green Spirituality' is describing a way of life based upon a philosophy of 'soil, soul and society' -- a free flowing natural spirituality that incorporates eco-paganism and aspects of traditional witchcraft. Romani has an evocative way with words and manages to describe her path in an inspiring and altogether coherent manner. The book is a how-to manual of green spirituality -- describing things from spirit communication, how to find ones familiar spirit, communication with said beings, information on pathworking and herbs, paper-making and working with the rhythms of nature. All highlighted with many personal anecdotes from the author.

The Verdict?
I absolutely adored the book. It initially started off a little shaky for me, because the first chapter read a little like a textbook or something else of that nature! But once one I got into it I was constantly nodding away with what Romani had to say; her voice comes across clear and passionate in this book and it's difficult not to come away from reading it without a little of that passion rubbing off on oneself. 'Green Spirituality' explores many different aspects of this free flowing spiritual path -- all seated in a sense of deep reverence for nature and the beings that inhabit it, seen and unseen. I did not agree with everything Romani expounded in the book, namely her opinion on the Old Gods and the purpose of religion -- in that she claimed neither were necessary which is not my way! I understand her disregard for them, but to dismiss the Cosmic gods would be unthinkable to me. But overall her opinions were well formed and argued.

The biggest thing to come out of 'Green Spirituality' for me was that it provoked me to realize again that the witch inside me needed to come out, indeed my inner senses had been somewhat neglected for worship of the gods. I needed to regain my reverence for myself as well as the Old Ones and for that I thank this book! I am also determined to clean using environmentally friendly products and plant some herbs in my garden. A fantastic, potentially life changing book, I would definately recommend this to those who feel a little at odds with worshiping gods (pantheists particularly would appreciate Romani's work) or anyone who is interested in Paganism in general. Romani offers an alternative, trail blazing path which is as alive and free as nature herself.

Further Reading?
I would recommend 'The Way of the Green Witch: Rituals, Spells and Practices to Bring You Back to Nature' by Arin Murphy-Hiscock and 'Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality and Natural Enchantment' by Poppy Palin. As both deal with issues in a similar vein. Happy reading.

Green Spirituality: Magic in the Midst of Life
Green Spirituality: Magic in the Midst of Life by Rosa Romani (Paperback - 12 April 2012)
6.99