5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know before setting out into the hills
Published on 4 Mar 2010 by A. Lazzarino

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful hints
Good book on the whole, fluffed out a bit in certain chapters with info on the environment, rights of way and stuff you will already know about if you are a regular and serious walker - but the technical info is useful.
Published 19 months ago by TERENCE JOHN HORAN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know before setting out into the hills, 4 Mar 2010
A. Lazzarino "Outdoor Adventurer" (Falmouth, Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill Walking: The Official Handbook of the Mountain Leader and Walking Group Leader Schemes (Paperback)
A fantastic book we were recommended to purchase as part of our Outdoor Education degree. This book has all you could possible need to know before setting out into the hills around the UK. Covering all the topics needed for Mountain Leader and Walking Group Leader Schemes, it's essential reading but still easy to read. Colour pictures and photographs compliment the text well.

A useful 'bible for the outdoors' even if you're not working towards certification. If you enjoy roaming the hills this will teach you proper methods of navigation, survival, wild camping, protecting the environment, trip planning and incident handling.

There is another long standing classic book on the market called 'Mountaincraft and Leadership' by Eric Langmuir. This is a much more in-depth book on the same topics. Also a brilliant and highly recommended read but slightly harder going. If you were only going to buy one book on the subject then this book ('Hillwalking: The official handbook of the mountain leader and walking leader scheme's' by Steve Long)would be the one to buy. If you have the money though both books are very useful. I take my Steve Long book with me on trips and have the Eric Langmuir book on the shelf if i need to know a little more on a subject.

In conclusion, buy it! The price on Amazon was the best i found online and enjoy many safe journeys around our wonderful, awe-inspiring mountains.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last a replacement to Eric Langmuir's "Mountain Leadershi, 10 Mar 2003
At last a replacement to Eric Langmuir's "Mountain Leadership. Any one who uses the mountains in the UK or leads groups in the mountains needs to have read this book. It tailors very neatly with the Mountain Leaders Award syllabus, making it vital to any one doing there Mountain Leaders Award, BELA or WGA.
It does not assume you’re a mountaineering guru nor is it to basic and patronising.
All mountain users should be equipped with the knowledge to minimise perceived and real risk as well as deal with the resulting problems of travelling in a mountainous environment, and this book contains all the basic information you will need. It is easily and clearly explained in simpler format than previous books and the navigation rivals Peter Cliffes “Mountain Navigation”, for its ease of understanding.
If you use the UK mountains; use this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mountain Skills Book, 4 Mar 2008
Mr. A. Heinzl "Andreas Heinzl" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is just the book to have if you are into hillwalking in the UK hills. The good old Langmuir book was just a little too long winded and complex and never managed to get anything out of.

However the Mountain Leader book or the green book has been my bible when preparing for my Mountain Leader. Whenever I forgot something from my training I just pulled this book out from my shelf and looked it up.

I advise anyone interested in hillwalking to consider buying the Mountain Leader Handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed... plus a little bit more, 5 Jan 2011
I used to walk a lot in the hills as part of group (where I could usually rely on someone else to lead the party!)... but a career change meant I haven't done any serious walking for the last decade or so. I have a bit more time on my hands now and felt a strong desire to 'get back out there'. As such, I wanted a book which reminded me of all the things I had learned as a boy scout, advised me of any developments in the last few years, and gave me the confidence to lead a small family party in to the hills (now I am older, people are looking to me to take charge... it must be an age thing!).

None of the walks I will be taking will be particularly challenging (at least not initially)... but from previous experience, I know how quickly and easily things can turn bad... so I wanted to make sure all walks are as safe, comfortable, and enjoyable as possible.

The book is everything I need it to be... it more than fulfills all my needs, and also covers techniques which I have no intention of using (e.g. using ropes etc). Despite this, I have read every section in detail, as you never know when these skills might be required!

The book is well written, professional yet informal in tone, with clear diagrams and explanations. It is best digested in sections, as there is a lot of information to take in (especially if the subject areas are new to you).

As per the previous reviewer's comments, the section on navigation perhaps could be more comprehensive, but it it does cover the basics. If you're looking for more on this subject, you probably need a dedicated book. I would recommend the following:- Map and Compass: The Art of Navigation (Cicerone Techniques)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for mountain leader trainees, 1 May 2011
Goes through everything you'll need to know for WGL or ML plus a bit more. Can't fault the book or the author, and a very good point of reference if you forget something you used to know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book - Used by MLT Trg Organisations, 9 Nov 2010
A very clear reference book, used by the company where I recently carried out my MLT training (mid 2010). Has all the essentials in it. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 15 July 2011
As the title says: `It does exactly what it says on the tin.'

This book is an obvious progression from any general book about hiking and the like. While they get stuck into the basics on the subject, this book moves things onto the next level. It's essentially aimed at people who want to know about the very nuts and bolts and technicalities of mountain skills - either people with leadership aspirations or people who are just a tad obsessive (in a good way) about the subject matter.

The book - similar to a good leader - is well set out and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Word - this book is outstanding!!!, 19 Oct 2010
Mr. M. R. Woods "The Future Belongs to That B... (Ryde - Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
I could write several thousand words to describe how good this book is, but the following should sum up my views on what this book has to offer:

Whether you are on your Walking Group Leader Award, Mountain Leader Training or just purely have an interest in how to walk in hilly country SAFELY and COMFORTABLY this is the book for you - nicely set out with good attention to detail and no excess fluff, this book is to the point, very interesting and more importantly Accurate with the information it imparts -

If I could give it 6 stars I would :)

Many thanks for writing this book, I have found it very useful - M R Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars ML Book, 24 May 2010
Mr. Nj White "Nickski" (All over Europe) - See all my reviews
This book is a very well written book with clear instructions and guidance. Is used by myself and all my colleagues as the 'go to" reference book for navigation and walking practises. Good for anyone who spends time walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars REACH THE HEIGHTS, 2 April 2014
Met all requirements for hill and mountain walking…lots
of excellent advice and tips for novice and experienced
hikers…..used by me (70yr) and the grandchildren (11yr upwards)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›