on 10 April 2012
I am currently taking the Sociology AQA course and use this book as my primary resource. In my unit one exam I achieved a grade A with 74 UMS points out of a possible 80 (would be an A* at A2) and it is most definitely down to the useful information in this book. Each chapter summarises a topic and gives you in depth detail and multiple studies to use in essays. At the end of each chapter there is exam style questions (including essay questions) which provide good practice in writing style and exam technique (you can get your teacher to mark them if they're not to lazy). The book also has a few pages on exam technique giving you advise on how to score AO1 and AO2 marks which is extremely helpful. Overall I would recommend this to any one taking a sociology AQA A level since it truly is a brilliant book.
on 2 December 2010
When my Sociology teacher suggested this book, I was initially a bit dubious about it, as I thought it wouldn't have everything I needed in it, but it turned out I was wrong!
This book definitely has everything you need to know for AS Sociology.

I'd recommend this book to anyone studying AS Sociology.
on 29 October 2008
this books has really helped my with my work!
lots of information!
good layout!
on 28 October 2015
I can see the world with this sociology textbook.......It's not just a textbook. It's more than what it is. It is an education on life!
I studied Liberal Studies in HK, which was a waste of time, whereas sociology in Britain has changed my life.....The way that I was think. This year I was thinking is there anyway for me to ask sociological questions since I can't find someone to ask at school. It'll a good chance if I can talk to someone through emails or other platform to discuss on sociology. It is just not very good since the book can't speak to me and yet I had a "good conversation" with the examiner through the textbook. I think I have posted this message naively and hope someone can help me on my questions in my head. Hope that the miracle can come. Certainly I won't just sit there and keep asking for help. It is not a good thing for my parents to pay my education but seems not everyone is willing to answer my questions.....This year I applied sociology for universities in both HK and the UK even though a lot people in HK are so stubbornly to tell me that it is not a subject to guarantee people a good job, good life, good future...People in HK even call sociology as "subject for beggars". This year, I've finished my personal statement and my sociology teachers always promises me to correct it but didn't, they've made the promised to answer my questions but no one do so... Maybe I was wrong to them but maybe not. :)
on 22 November 2014
Good book and highly recommended to all AS sociology students. This was the only book i used for revision as it has simple language yet extensive depth, such as recent examples. Didn't even need to purchase any revision guides as this book has it all. Much cheaper to buy one good book like this one then lots of cheaper ones which will not cover as much detail. Also has diagrams and charts within book to help remember the key details.
on 8 November 2013
This book is a defo must have for a.s as it goes into depth and detail on each topic which is great for taking and adapting your own notes if you dont get the lessons context and the great little contexts page with key words at the back was a god send great buy for any student taking this topic !
on 12 December 2015
I used this book to study for my AS exams in the previous school year. I ended up getting 108/120 UMS in my Education section (A) however i only got 50/80 for the Families section (Scraped a C); i ended up receiving a high B in total (2 UMS off an A).

My advice for this book is to start early and use it effectively. Don't do what i did with Families and start reading the majority a few days before the exam. The book is very big and heavily detailed which can be a nuisance as some of the writing can be considered unnecessary.

If you buy this book, look into purchasing: How to Succeed at AS Sociology. The book follows the layout of this book but cuts it down into understandable and short sections.
on 30 December 2012
This book is a MUST for anybody studying AS Level Sociology!! It is the Sociologists Bible!! All you need to know is in this book, its fantastic, it got me through my AS Sociology!! Would highly recommend!!
on 23 January 2014
My daughter is currently taking Sociology at AS level and loves this book. The subject matter is set out well and she has found it an excellent supplement to her study materials.
on 1 January 2013
I bought this for my son, who has recenlty started 6th form but, as far as the produce is concerned, it arrvied on time and in perfect condition. Many thanks.