on 14 September 2014
As a sociology teacher I have used and looked at lots of text books, this is the best on the market - great detail, range of studies and good concentration on AO2 skills. However, it offers the most popular topics -Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance, if you are studying some of the other AQA options, you'll need to choose something else!
on 18 August 2009
This book was passed to me to assess for the new A2 course that we are teaching. My head of sixth form thought from the title it had everything in, but there are topics missing, so don't judge this book by it's title. I still gave it three stars because the content it does have is good, and if the missing topics had been included to the same standard it would have been a definite purchase.
on 25 February 2005
This book is the best textbook I've seen for AS-level sociology. It covers all the material to a good level of detail - meaning that it's worth getting your students to read it - and is packed full of up-to-date studies. At the same time the students can actually read it easily - it's targeted at the right level for them and the sensible use of pictures to illustrate points helps to break up the text, as do the relevant sub-headings. In addition to this there are a range of useful and specific questions and exercises for most sections (although in some places it could do with some more). My only questions are when is the A2 version coming out? and also what about an OCR oriented version?
on 10 May 2005
This book actually covers all the bits missed by the others. Enough detail for AS students but not too wordy. Well laid out and good activities
on 21 September 2011
this doesn't contain all the topics on the aqa syllabus so check before buying. why call it complete when it obviously isn't?
on 24 October 2007
The book is really helpful. Both for using in a classroom and for revising or studying at home. It slowly prepares students who are new to the subject of sociology and essay questions, for the examination through giving examples of essays and encouraging students to think about what they are writing. It has lots of examiner tips and it is easy to understand. it is for students of all abilities as it is clear and concise and speaks about sociologist in a way that makes it interesting. Just using this book alone is enough to teach a student everything they need to learn to get an A grade in it, provided the students uses the book correctly. I would recommend it to any student, teacher or centre who are doing the AQA syllabus and want to get top grades.
on 6 September 2013
This book is extremely disappointing. It is named 'the complete course', however it includes only 1 of the 4 possible topics for SCLY3. While it appears to deliver that one topic very well, it is certainly not the book I thought I was ordering and it is not the book it's title seems to suggest. The publisher comment that it 'fits the specification exactly' is at best misleading, at worst deliberately so.
on 26 February 2010
I was very disappointed when I received this book. I expected quality coverage of the whole revised A2 Sociology course. To my horror I found out that three out of the four unit 3 choices appear to be missing, therefore, this book offers both limited and selective coverage. I had been informed that this book had been contributed to by a senior AQA examiner. If this is the case I feel it is inappropriate for only one of the choices to have been covered and creates an unfair bias. I shall be buying another book!
on 18 July 2016
The book was advertised as new and the price reflected this, however there were quite large paragraphs highlighted and the cover did not look as new and was quite worn. Therefore I feel the advert was misleading in the description as it was not as new, and the price that was charged did not reflect the description!!!
on 3 November 2011
What bugs me about this is that it isn't the complete course...at all. Granted in my lessons we are taught the extra but saying it's the complete course and then not being one...it's annoying.

I find myself having to highlight the book though because the sociologists names don't stand out and it's easy to read but hard (for me personally) to revise from because it's just text and there aren't any coloured key words or sociologists (for example) that catch your eye.

Otherwise, it's perfectly fine and provides you with the basics of what you need to know.