Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2013
What a refreshing new way to introduce children to death. Also looks at seasons and briefly introduces life cycles. The oak tree is great
on 10 December 2012
I love this book. The illustrations are beautiful. It describes the life cycle of an old oak tree. It has friendship and is great for kids. I especially like it as set in the new forest, which is near where I live.
on 14 December 2015
My son and I love this book.
It's been known to make us cry our eyes out together!
Such deep meaning in just a few pages.
on 17 February 2011
lovely illustrations and a very unique book. my 4 1/2 year old boy loved it and has asked for it over and over again.
on 11 July 2006
This is a gorgeous book. The illustrations are outstanding and the story of death, life and hope is told from a perspective that children will understand and adults will find moving. The environmental message is also clearly evident, without being forced upon the reader. I would recommend this to anyone, young or old. Get a copy!
on 11 September 2014
Beautiful in every way. Now accompanied by the new colouring book...
on 14 July 2014
Lovely if poignant story, beautifully illustrated. Recommended.
on 29 September 2014
I found this book when renting a holiday house in France, of all places. My 3 year old twins wanted me to read it and so I did. I nearly stopped at the point of the death of the old oak, but not seeing any sadness in my twins faces I carried on. As soon as I finished, they begged me to read it again. And again. Upon returning to England I bought a copy for them and it is still a firm favourite. I am pleased that this has managed to introduce the concept of death and loss into their young lives with the minimum of fuss.

It really is a lovely book. Delightfully and unusually illustrated with words that are enough to stretch their vocabulary, but still understand. I'd recommend it to everyone as all children will need to understand the circle of life at some point and this book will help from the loss of a pet to someone closer.

We live near the New Forest and so I think a nice Autumn trip is on the cards - they might even meet the Lonely Tree himself!
on 21 May 2012
My son was given this book when he was 3 and it quickly became a favourite. He literally wanted to read it with me every night for months. I found I could hardly get past the middle without choking back tears - perhaps because I lost my mother when I was a child and reading this sad but lovely story to my little boy was quite emotional. The book is beautifully written, without any artifice and introduces the wondrous cycle of life through the death of an old oak tree. It's a story of friendship, being 'different', love, kindness and cherished memories. It sounds like a lot for a 3 year old to tackle but it introduces some difficult themes in a very touching and sensitive way. The illustrations are very detailed with a rich texture, giving it an almost magical feel and my son loved looking for all the little animals and partially hidden images on each page. I am now reading it with my 3 year old daughter and get through it without tissues - just! I really special book.
on 8 September 2015