5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and special book!
This is a lovely and very unusual book, dealing with a wide range of serious issues, but aimed at younger children. The story follows the friendship which develops between an ancient oak tree and a young conifer which has grown in a deciduous woodland.

Published on 25 Mar 2007 by Chipstick

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but effective
I have 4 nephews and am an infant school teacher. My father has Mesothelioma and is likely to pass away within the next month.
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Evie

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and special book!, 25 Mar 2007
Chipstick (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)

Nicholas Halliday is a well known illustrator, however this is the first book he has written and illustrated himself. The illustrations themselves are remarkable; being computer generated (using the same techonology to create them as films such as Toy Story), they are highly detailed with a real sense of texture. My children enjoyed the high detail (they also loved seaching for the animals and insects hidden in the illustrations), and found the story both touching and uplifting.

This book could inspire a whole range of PSHCE lessons in schools, covering as it does issues related to 'being different', of acceptance, loss and ultimately a sense of belonging and continuity. This is a sad, yet ultimately joyous book, reinforcing the concept of the circle and cycle of life and our responsibility to care for one-another, regardless of our differences.

Children from around 4 to 8 will probably love this book, and, as said previously, this would also be a wonderful book to use in connection with a range of school topics, including ecology, in foundation or key stage 1. It would also make a gift to be treasured and enjoyed by any child.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but effective, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
I wanted a book that would provide a basis for bereavement counselling and, although this is one of several different ideas, it is nice in that the old tree passes away in his sleep - just does not wake up. I am sure that this is how we all would wish to go, rather than there be a long drawn out process, often painful for the person and for the relatives.
I found it profoundly sad, but then I would.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A really lovely book, 15 Jan 2010
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
My 8 year old son is autistic and struggles with emotions, how to deal with them etc. He is always saying how lonely he is and I thought that this book would be an ideal way of getting him to understand the meaning of lonliness. Based on the other reviews, I knew that this would also be a good way of dealing with loss. His dwarf hamster is getting on in years and I anticipate a death soon....

When the book arrived, I wasn't sure if he would like it. I always have difficulties in choosing books for him so have to make very careful choices.

However, I need not have worried. He found the pictures quite funny and the thing I liked about it was, you could play games spotting different things within the picture.

Not only did the book teach about loss, friendship etc, it explained the changing in the seasons as well.

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., 31 May 2007
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
My mother recently bought my sister and myself copies of this book as presents (she is 25 and I am 18), as she loved the illustrations so much that she simply had to buy them for us! (She is a Primary School librarian, the author made a visit to the school to read the story to the children). I thoroughly enjoyed the sentiment behind the story, even though it is in fact quite sad.

Definitely one that I'll be keeping to read to my own children in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lonely Tree, friendship, loss and happy memories., 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
In the sad period after my Dad died, despite the funeral service and the Church memorial, I was not confident how much my son had taken in. He was particularly close to his Grandpa, and had lost several near and dear people in the last few years. He is differently-abled and signs to communicate. This book deals with loss in a secular way that all can use a basis for discussion. The wonderful and innovative illustrations, each with animals to find, are as pared back as the text so as to suit all ages and abilities. I have since bought this book for two different children going through loss. It is excellent just a a story book after the sad events, and will be kept and re-read for the clear text and atmospheric pictures. All school libraries should stock this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
What a lovely book! It is very touching and beautiful story, perfect for helping children understand the situation of loosing loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars And lovely and beautiful book, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
I read this with my grandson. He really loved the story and enjoyed the beautiful pictures and touching story. It is currently his favorite and mine too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Feb 2011
Mrs. JE Sharkey (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
Wonderful book.Amazing story and pictures and talking in the 'real'world...which can be hard for some to do.Excellent 'tool' for working with bereaved children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
What a refreshing new way to introduce children to death. Also looks at seasons and briefly introduces life cycles. The oak tree is great

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet, 7 May 2013
This review is from: The Lonely Tree (Paperback)
This book is very very sweet. the pictures are excellent quality and my kids were stonned quite when reading it. Read it afew times.
It is a sad book. But definetly teach them how to deal with lost, and how to look forward to a new life. Recommend it very highly

The Lonely Tree
The Lonely Tree by Nicholas Halliday (Paperback - 1 Jan 2006)
5.59