5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, Fresh, Exciting Food Without Nouvelle Nonsense
Published on 20 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge quantities are a downside
This book contains some great (ranging from traditional Irish to modern fusion and easy peasy to more challenging and time-consuming) recipes that I resort to whenever I'm having a party or need to cater for larger groups, an advantage which also proves to be a major disadvantage when you're cooking for a more intimate group, the mental effort of having to divide a lot of...
Published on 28 July 2003 by marmaladecat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, Fresh, Exciting Food Without Nouvelle Nonsense, 20 May 2001
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I strolled into London's Books for Cooks shop (the absolute best place on earth for talking about food, buying cookbooks and sampling some truly great food in the little cafe in the back). Had a chat with the chef, who was just beginning to ladle out some of her delicious Tomato, Lentil and Orange soup. I commented on the soup, saying it smelled fantastic. And she immediately pointed me in the direction of the Avoca Cafe Cookbook.
What a find. It's marvelous.
The recipes all sound great. And uncomplicated --- fresh, pure and freshly, purely innovative combinations. Highly recommended: Tomato, Celery and Apple Soup; Tomato, Lentil and Orange Soup; Soda Bread; the Potato and Rosemary salad; Potato and Celeriac Gratin and the Mediterranean Tart. Still many more recipes to go.
I LOVE this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Modern Irish Food with a traditional flair, 18 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I am an American that had been living in Dublin, Ireland for a year from April 99 - June 00. The Avoca Handweavers were just a few miles away. I frequented Avoca atleast once a week for tea and bisquits. The food is wonderful there. As I got ready to return back to the states - The Avoca Cafe Cookbook came out. It was my last purchase before returning home. It is a keepsake for me as I can now recreate my experiences of eating at the Cafe at home in the States. It is not only loaded with just about every recipe that you can eat at the Cafe but well presented with beautiful photos of the food and of Ireland. I would recommend this book to anyone who has experienced the beauty of Ireland and Avoca and anyone interested in just great food.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, 20 July 2009
Ruth Kirkpatrick (Arequipa, Peru) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I love cooking, and this is my favourite cookbook by far. Some of my favourite recipes are Nich's chicken curry which is great, the carrot cake is amazing and everyone loves it, the chicken and broccoli gratin is another amazing recipe, as is the beef and guiness stew. I am from N.Ireland and have been to the Avoca Cafe various times in Wicklow, and even though I'm living abroad its great to be able to have little luxuries with me such as my Avoca cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars the current most used recipe book on my book shelf!, 2 May 2002
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
i got this book as a gift at Christmas when I was home visiting family in Ireland. i have made so many recipes from it and all of them have been really yummy - i would recommend the meatballs, fruit tiramisu, lemon tart, tomato, celery and apple soup. i liked it so much that I am ordering a copy online to send to a friend.
oh yes and the curry recipe is the best - the sauce is great as a veggie curry sauce too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
This book has great healthy recipes for a range of cooking abilities. I have cooked about half the recipes from it and enjoyed each one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mouthwatering read, 29 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I accidentally chanced upon this book while I was spending the weekend in Ireland and having lunch (which, incidentally, was great) at the Avoca Cafe in Dublin. I couldn't help but buying the book after setting eyes on it. The recipes seem so interesting and appealing. They look simple to make, yet sound original. The soup and the salads sections are amazing!I love the fact that all the ingredients are fresh and readily available. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in eating (and cooking)good, genuine food. It's truly brilliant!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Take me to Dublin!, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
Whilst I have never been to the Avoca Cafe, after reading this book, I know exactly what to expect: wholesome, no nonsense recipes with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal produce and some great baking!
The chapters are sensibly organised and include soups, meat, breads and relishes. I have made several recipes from the meat section, my favourite being Lakeshore Pork which includes apple juice, mustard and cream. Not quite on trend but simple and warming.
The Roast Herbed Potato with Balsamic Vinegar is a great side dish or good on its own for a Nigella style raid on the fridge. The Spiced Lentil and Lemon Soup is earthy and flavoursome (and a great recipe for anyone on a budget) The soup and salad chapters are generally excellent, with plenty of vegetarian options.
There are recipes for many staple dishes which experienced cooks will already have in their repertoire(for example,Banana Bread, Carrot cake and Scones) but the book is a pleasure to read with some beautiful photographs of rural Ireland and the cafe itself. Very evocative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting and imaginative wholefood recipes., 9 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
The Avoca Cafes were initially started to provide somewhere for visitors to the Avoca Weavers in Wicklow to enjoy a cup of tea and slice of cake. They were so succesful that they are now dotted throughout Ireland. This is a book of recipes from the cafes. It is a bit like an Irish version of Cranks, with a large helping of wholefood. Although do not be fooled into thinking that this is just for veggies. It does contain a small number of meat recipes Many of the recipes are delicious, particularly such delights as sweet potato and lemongrass soup. My one disappointment is the relatively dated nature of some of the baking. I had hoped that nut roast had been consigned to the 90s. But otherwise a worthwhile addition to any cook's home library.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fuss, delicious and guaranteed second helpings, 11 Dec. 2009
S. Seabrook "Foodie Mum" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
This recipe book is among the best you can find. It's split into soups, salads, fish and chicken, meat, vegetable mains, breads, tea time and desserts, relishes and sundries. Each chapter has outstanding recipes but seriously you'll find you want to try them all. We eat our family meals from this book and entertain with it. The results are always delicious. The recipes are fresh, no fuss, fail safe and guaranteed to get everyone asking for seconds! Our house favourites are the salmon and leek tart, chicken and broccoli gratin, beef perpperpot,lakeshore pork, mediterranean lasagne, banana bread and the Avoca scones. Hmmmm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good contemporary food, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
This book has a really down to earth practical approach.There is good clear instructions,practical ideas without lots of hard to find ingredients.I feel inspired when I read it, to want to try things.It has a chatty style that it is not at all patronising.It has good photos and I enjoy browsing it for inspiration.The push is for fresh clean flavours.Each section has a lead in story that humanises the writers regarding the topic.EG Their transporting soup in a car!!!!Been there done that!
It would be useful for both experienced and inexperienced cooks who want a friendly approach to cooking.I am a big fan of books that inform as well as educate.This is one of them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1
Avoca Cafe Cookbook: Bk. 1 by Georgia Glynn (Paperback - April 2000)