5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book
I have been designing and making curtains professionally for over 25 years and bought this book in 1997. I have many books on curtain making & soft furnishings as I am constantly striving for improvement (although my customers are always delighted!!!) and this book has helped me no end with my business.

It's one of my favourites and is packed with useful...
Published on 25 April 2007 by Florrie 22

3.0 out of 5 stars Book review
This book is OK and the instructions are clear enough. However, I found it old fashioned in terms of style ideas and not particularly inspirational.
Published on 30 Dec. 2011 by Sjh

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth having but be careful if you have her other books!, 6 Mar. 2010
Stephanie Freude (London) - See all my reviews
The book offers good technical advice. It is easy understandable but the user needs to have some sewing skills. The book blinds, curtains and cushions covers partly the same topics. It is worth deciding if you won't the focus more on curtains or on blinds before deciding to buy either of them. I don't think you'd need both. The encyclopaedia of curtains is the more traditional book whereas blinds, curtains and cushions is more modern.
The title Encyclopaedia is misleading as this is not written in the style of an encyclopaedia. Each type of curtain is explained step by step or there is a reference to an other page but you can not search for a topic (i.e. curtain weights) and get to the specific page. You have to go through the entire book. It is all in there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 30 Dec. 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars The Encyclopaedia of Curtains, 15 Jun. 2011
The book is excellent. I agree with one of the other reviewers that it's a bit hard to find things in the book. Indexing could be improved. Nonetheless it does have nearly everything in it you need. Lovely and inspirational drawings and photos. I'm sure I'll refer to it over and over.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all an encyclopaedia, 7 Mar. 2006
An encyclopaedia would suggest good organisation and clear details. I bought the book, not for inspiration (!) but for the heights of standard headings and hems, how far in the pleats should start, how many to a panel, how to attach the hooks (particularly when the curtain material is very heavy), all of which are necessary to produce curtains that 'look right'. It's true that most of the information is in the book. Somewhere. However, the headings and typeface, the layout, the quantity of words, the order in which the information is given all lead to such confusion, that you start to consider how beautiful unembellished glass is. I should point out that I am a tailor, so it is hardly a question of sewing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 22 Oct. 2010
VenusSpecimen (south east, u.k) - See all my reviews
my goodness these people know how to put a book together. outstanding. truly amazing!!!!!! i bought both by them. i will keep and use and cherish both equally forever. they're all i need.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 4 Nov. 2003
The book with no ideas really, but with a good description on how to make curtains in very old fashioned style using old fashioned fabrics.
Was hoping for a book with much more new ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars For curtain lovers, 9 Mar. 2013
Definitely packed with information and professional tips on curtain making. Probably a bit advanced for beginners like me but a very useful reference book

4.0 out of 5 stars Book edition, 25 Jun. 2014
I think I might have been better advised to have bought a newer edition, nevertheless I am quite pleased with this book

5.0 out of 5 stars The Encylopedia of Curtians, 18 Jan. 2011
The Encyclopaedia of Curtains
Nervous about making, for the first time, some very large interlined curtains, I bought this book as it appeared to contain from the 'look inside' all the information I needed, but could not find in other books. And, I was not wrong! It is a joy to use, a mine of information and brimming with useful professional tips. It has answered all my questions and I now feel confident that I know how much fabric etc. to buy and how to go about cutting and making up my curtains. Thank you Merrick and Day. This book seemed expensive, but it is worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 Aug. 2014
good book it has been very helpful

Encyclopaedia of Curtains: All You'll Ever Need to Know About Making Curtains