on 29 July 2012
This book includes a thorough and very significant analysis of indigenous, Irish and Celtic Spirituality and its eventual destruction by the institutional church in the context of the 'Romanisation' of Western Christendom. The author understands the truth about what happened historically and fully documents that process, with an informative argument and strong narrative. The book also contains a radical analysis of monotheism that challenges and will essentially disturb some of our fundamental religious beliefs and traditional theological assumptions. The author argues with passion that monotheism itself provided a template for the development of globalisation and the creation of powerful and controlling vested interest groups in terms of both religious authority and the 'free market' economy. This is a very thoughtful and challenging book, well researched and greatly enhanced by a marked degree of original and creative thinking.
The author is obviously a wise and holy person and he is probably being prophetic. It may not be too late to save the world from impending disaster.
If capitalism and monotheistic fundamentalism are both ultimately flawed and the systems in which they manifest are essentially corrupt because of powerful lobbies and vested interest groups, then in the broader context of human evolution and the foundations of an alternative philosophy and authentic spirituality, this book marks an important milestone on what could be the road to recovery.
On the other hand, if the snowball of unsustainable global development is truly gathering pace and heading inevitably down the mountain towards some form of impending catastrophe, as the author suggests, then refusal to put in place self-sustainable and inclusive, local, social, economic and religious infrastructures so that essential goods and services can be provided, is not an option. It will simply be too late and potential historic developments could make the Fall of the Roman Empire and the Barbarian Invasions in Europe look like a teddy bears' picnic. Marcus Losack.
on 3 June 2010
This is a truly wonderful book, and well written and well researched. It probes deeply into the influences of our modern western world and traces the history of how our current situation came about. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in gaining some insight into the influences we are subjected to in our daily lives and is looking for a possible alternative paradigm by which to live their lives.
The book is enriched by the lovely poetry of Tess Harper, a poetry which gives us a glimmer of how it is to experience an alternative way of life to the mainstream one.
I would really like to see this book become core reading in Philosophy, Literature, Religion and Politics courses at Universities throughout the world.
on 2 May 2013
I've just finished reading this book. It gave me great inspiration. It is well written, well researched and makes a powerful case both against monotheism and for the wonder that was Celtic Christianity. It is a heady mixture of history, political thesis and spirituality which is brought together to make a powerful case for the way we think about religion, particularly modern Christianity .
I have been researching an historical novel based in the late 6th century. I was drawn to this period for some reason & find it fascinating. I have read widely on the subject, but 3 questions kept arising for me:
1.Why did the Irish take so apparently easily and quickly to Christianity?
2.What was "Celtic Christianity" in relation to Roman Catholicism? Was there any rivalry and what was different about this Celtic Christianity?
3. Can Celtic Christianity teach us anything today?
Most books I have read do not address these issues. Many claim there was no issue between Rome & Ireland. But I was never convinced given that Ireland was never conquered by Rome and had a long history of separateness.
This is the first book to answer these questions for me. This book has provided the missing piece in the jigsaw on a number of areas. I found the links made between monotheism and globalism very convincing. I have long been an opponent of globalisation & at the same time could never accept the authority of the church. However I never connected the two positions - until now. This is a cogent and powerful argument that the author makes.
The true nature of Celtic Christianity is revealed in all its wonder and the manner in which this hope for the world was tragically crushed by Rome to make way for the autocratic religion that gave us wars, conquest, the inquisition, male domination and many more abuses of power. A must read for all students of Christianity, globalisation and Irish history.