on 9 January 2001
The book provides easy to interpret, visual representations of the impact cultural origin has on the way people communicate. The models are categorized into communication patterns, listening habits, audience expectations, leadership styles and the language of management. The real advantage of the book is that it can provide an easy reference guide when you are preparing meetings, thinking about a presentation or planning your negotiating strategy with people from another nation culture. Complex cultural patterns are condensed into easy to understand and highly relevant diagrams.
If you do not have the time or inclination to read huge academic texts on working in a multi cultural environment, yet want to understand the key aspects of dealing with other cultures in a business context, this is the right book. For example, before you present at a conference in Germany, review the "audience expectation" section for Germany and you will soon realize the importance of talking about the quality of the product and the price rather than worrying too much about the jokes!
Most of us working in a multi cultural business environment want to learn how to be more effective working across cultures so you can use the models with colleagues to test each other's awareness. Alternatively, use them on a training course as an energizer when you want the group to think outside the "national box".
on 22 September 2010
A really useful,practical advice on cultures,Ispend a lot of my life travelling and like to observe how people behave ,and how they compare with the British.I was very impressed with one of Richard Lewis previous book "When cultures collide",a better book on cultural differences you will never find.
In my opinion,he has distilled the essence of all the major nationalities around the world and presented them in easily digestible text,and goes on to match the text with corresponding diagrams I find the visuals most usefull in helping me with retention
I must take issue with other reviewers of this book.There are many differences within each nation state,but cross-culture is all about comparing nations and cultures , and that is where this book is excellent.
For example it has allowed to compare quickly and easily,the German leadership style with the Australian leadership style .There are differences in the way Germans and Australians lead,and the book outlines them succintly.
They may appear to be overly simple,but I have found them to be uncannily accurate and usefull
Highly recommended
on 10 December 2011
Faced with the prospect of designing a training course for multi-cultural virtual teams, I followed a recommendation to get this book. It really does 'do what it says on the tin' with very relevant research presented in an easily digestible format. My task is now much easier!
on 6 November 2008
Cross-Cultural Communication: A Visual ApproachI highly recommend this book.
Being a Spanish resident in the Uk I have (without knowing) made crucial "mistakes" when communicating, not only at work but also in social gatherings.
Richard D. Lewis and his revised Cross Cultural Communication- a visual approach, has definitely help me to decode the messages I get given and to put my own messages across successfully.
on 25 February 2014
This is an excellent book: comprehensive, informative, simple concept and high face validity.

Every intercultural trainer should have this book.
on 6 January 2010
This is quite possibly the funniest book I have read in ages.

I came across a copy at a friends place and spent the day in stitches. So much so that I had to order my copy from Amazon. I now keep it in the office as a guide how NOT to deal with other cultures. I periodically read out quotes about the nationalities of some of my staff, usually just to amuse or wind them up. Basically It's full of borderline racist comments such as:

"Koreans...traditionally dislike foreigners but diguise it well...They even like western humour (which they profess to understand)"

and

Spaniards are "..."not dedicated listeners. They read less than any other people in Europe and pay little attention..."

and

"Nobody listens more carefully than the Finns.. The price of their attention is one cup of coffee per hour. They give no feedback"

no wait, there's more.

"Koreans...often try their hand at humour. They also have a very elastic concept of the truth"

If you want to read an unintentionally hilarious book then this is for you, if you really want to know how to work with other cultures avoid like the plague and understand that you can't group nation states as one personality type. It's not only ridiculous but also a little offensive.
on 20 November 2008
this book helped me to understand audiences during international meetings....and will help me for all my future speeches preparation...
of course I will use more the "European" part but it was nice to have a quick look of all the Eastern world habits!
I bought this book on the strength of some of the other reviews on this site. I was very disappointed and underwhelmed with the content, some not very useful diagrams and few trite comments on each country mentioned. Stay away,far,far away from it. You have been warned :-)
on 27 May 2014
Basically no theory or explanations, just a bunch of diagrams. Perhaps interesting for someone who knows his theories, but useless for someone who needs to learn.