on 26 November 2008
This book is made up of Mnemonic chants. The method is so simple and it works a treat. Simple words are spelled out using a rhyme, the beginning word of the rhyme is always the word the reader is trying to remember to spell. This book is simply laid out with pictures to illustrate the rhymes, these can also be coloured in by the reader.

Matthews's problems with reading and writing used to upset him a great deal. We used to tell him that if we could find the 'switch' in his head, and put it on, this would allow him to be able to read and write. We struggled to find this 'switch'. But at the age of seven, he went to Christine Blance for lessons. If I am completely honest I was very sceptical about using her mnemonic spelling system. How wrong I was.

Within days Matthew was reading and writing these words. Less than a year he can read and write ovr 200 words. I am still not sure how they work, but I do know that when the mnemonic chants are in your head they are very difficult to get out! Now that he has found his 'switch' and it is turned on, there is no stopping him and he is determined it will never be swtiched off.

This book is an excellent way of helping children spell, giving them a boost when they can spell complex words using this method. It gives children more confidence with their reading when they recognise their 'chant' words in the text.
review image review image review image review image
on 8 October 2014
A good book for spelling tricky words.