5.0 out of 5 stars Hobby Cakes, 15 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
For me this book has become a reference for sugarcraft techniques. Lindys ideas are inspirational and the book describes in detail how to recreate each of the 17 cakes contained within it. It is not aimed at someone wanting a quick birthday/celebration cake, the cakes illustrated are quite involved, although they can be adapted for your own use. There are lots of sections describing the different techniques and special effects used in each of the cakes which can be used when designing your own cakes. There are also details of recipes, colour mixing and figure modelling.
The cakes incorporate a lot of ideas for novelty cakes for men which alot of books don't.
I make and design my own novelty/celebration cakes as a hobby and would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in sugarcraft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hobby cakes, 13 Mar. 2004
Carolyn Harvey (Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
Hobby cakes by Lindy Smith has filled a gap needed in the market. This book is not about cute cakes it is about passing on technical hints and tips in clear detail. Anyone looking for tips on how to create relistic gravel, seed trays, rucksacks and more, buy and use it, I have. As with any teaching book make sure you buy one to cover your needs and this was excellent. Have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I don't do shapes", 16 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
One saying I picked up from my sugarcraft teacher was "I don't do shapes". For over ten years I have adhered to this, persuading customers that a plaque which they could lift off a cake would give endurable pleasure. This book has made me think again. The cakes are beautifully made with great attention to detail. Each cake is a work of art with clear instructions so that others can recreate it. I can't wait to eat my way through the freezer so that I can make space to freeze a cake, in preparation for carving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for technical sugarcraft, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
Paid I lot of money for this book but consider it well spent. I've learnt so much from it, some of the techniques and effects are amazingly simple but give stunning results

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
Fantastic book, lots of ideas and inspiration. I would defiantly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 April 2015
This review is from: Hobby Cakes (Paperback)
Just as the good lady ordered. At least as new condition.

Hobby Cakes
Hobby Cakes by Lindy Smith (Paperback - 18 Mar. 2000)
Used & New from: £23.08