5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, beautifully illustrated and modestly priced
I can only agree with the previous reviewers. This modestly priced guide is also an outstanding work and a spin off from the excellent 'Field Guide to Moths...' by the same authors.

There are over 20,000 species of insect in the UK and over 2000 are moths. Not surprisingly, many books cover only selected species (and try to conceal this shortcoming) leaving one...
Published on 10 Aug 2008 by Dr. Keith A. Moseley

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book but ...
I'm clearly bucking a trend given all the 5-star reviews. This must be very personal but, every time I (try) to open this book to attempt to match a photograph of a moth, the spiral binding drives me nuts. My experience is that, unless you are in the centre of the book, the pages snag and it doesn't open well. So much so that I fear for its longevity. The spiral binding...
Published on 7 May 2011 by J. Curd

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for a 'mother', 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Concise Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland (Spiral-bound)
A very practical identification guide, both for use on a field trip and for checking through the contents of moth traps. Excellent life size drawings help decision making. Highly recommended ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 31 May 2014
Mrs. M. Lydamore (Essex England) - See all my reviews
Worth the wait for such a good book, very interesting, easy to read, & understand. Will now know what is in the garden.!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, good for enthusiasts of any level, 27 May 2014
I feel like some of the reviews of this book on amazon are quite harsh! It arrived in excellent time and equally excellent condition. I notice that some people have had trouble with turning the pages of the spiral binding, but this is not an issue for me - the pages are slightly sticky because it's brand new, but it's otherwise perfect.

This is an excellent guide, and groups the moths into families, making it simple to use. The moths are also drawn in their resting position, not with their wings pinned out as if they are taxidermied, which is very helpful (and logical, how often do you come across moths with their wings splayed out anyway?)

The illustrations are beautiful and easy to use for identification. There is a reduced volume of text which is great, the illustrations seem clearer and the layout is nice and simple - be aware that this should only really be used for identification of moths rather than for reading about ecology and life histories. If this is what you're interested in, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

The only slight flaw I noticed is that a clearer scale showing the size of the moths could be used. I've only very recently become interested in moths, and I absolutely love this book, I'm very glad that I bought it. Very good value for money - would recommend for anyone with an interest in moths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Field guide to moths, 16 Feb 2014
Linda Peace (Yarm, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book providing all the information I am ever likely to need at a reasonable price and it is small enough to take out with me. The other authoritative Moth books all seem to be massive, with massive prices too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars concise guide to moths, 10 Feb 2014
good value book on months first class service very quick delivery we use the book to identify the moths we come across when out doing photography very usefull

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Feild Guide, 27 Dec 2013
An excellent guide for quick reference in the field when used in conjunction with the 'Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland' by the same Authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars most used of my moth books, 13 Oct 2013
My second copy of this great book. The first is now getting battered and stained from constant outdoor use, so this one is for indoor reference only.

4.0 out of 5 stars would like a clearer method of finding the moth i was looking for.bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla, 30 Sep 2013
P. Bateup "Birdwatcher" (Croydon UK) - See all my reviews
I would like a clearer metnhod of finding the moth I was trying to identify. bla bla bla bla bla

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend it to anyone interested in moths or nature in general., 19 Sep 2013
We were given this book about 5 years ago & I use it all the time. I take lots of photos of moths in the day & also at night on a wall around a night-light. I use the book to find the moth & then double check it on the internet sites. It is so much quicker than trawling through the internet & gives valuable information such as flight periods & close relatives. The vast majority of the moths I find are in here despite the fact that we live in France. The pages & spiral binding are probably good for at least another 5 years, no problems there. I have just bought it for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice concise version of the guide, 2 Sep 2013
I already have the full guide to Moths of GB and Ireland, which I have used over and over for identification and reference. The concise guide is much more practical for purely identification purposes. Nice ring bound spine to prevent spine damage, which I found a problem with the full guide. If you simply want a guide for identification, this is perfect. Most species information notes are available online anyway, so the full guide may not be neccessary.

Concise Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland
Concise Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Paul Waring (Spiral-bound - 31 May 2007)
12.95