5.0 out of 5 stars Don't look any further
Published on 19 Oct 2006 by Sarah Lewin

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for "Childbirth without Fear"
Published on 3 April 2009 by Jamie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't look any further, 19 Oct 2006
Sarah Lewin (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth (Paperback)
This is the only book you will ever need to read during your pregnancy. Understand the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle and how pain is just mind over matter. Birth doesn't have to be painful. This is such a wonderfully well written book, first published back in the 1930's and still relevant today. I know he's a man, but if he was still alive I would pay Grantly Dick-Read to be at my birth. God bless him!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the greatest, most beneficial book I have ever read., 11 Feb 2007
J. Keene (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I was recommended this book by my granny who is a retired nurse and midwife, and was completely hooked on it within the first few pages. Grantly Dick-Read devoted his life to investigating why natural childbirth was painful when he believed there is no reason for it to be so. In this book he describes how fear is an abnormal reaction to childbirth, and how this fear causes abnormal tention within the muscles of the womb that should be relaxed, leading to extremely painful cramp-like pains during contractions. So learn not to fear birth to stay relaxed, and the whole thing can be painless. IT WORKS. I gave birth effortlessly and painlessly to a 8lb 12oz daughter after a labour that only lasted 4 hours! [...]It's worth it's weight in gold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for "Childbirth without Fear", 3 April 2009
Grantly Dick-Read did a good job of describing how the more civilized we become, the more women fear childbirth. He describes why and how fear is passed on through generations. He debunks myths about childhood and introduces the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome. It is the first book I have read about childbirth, and it was a good introduction. He writes very well, which for me makes him more credible than the "belly-cast hippie people" who also support natural childbirth. He gets scientifically technical, which I also appreciated. He seems to be an evolutionist but he is also religious--another aspect that I liked. Because this book was first written in the 1930s, there are still a few sexist views but he obviously has great respect for the women he works with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, a Must Read, 7 Mar 2007
This is one of the best childbirth books ever written! Many women are indebted to Dr. Read for the wonderful truths he rediscovered about birth when it was highly medicalised in the 1940s. Nothing with the woman's body has changed, and his findings are still very true. We don't have control over a lot of things as women in labor, but we do have control over the mind, and Dr. Dick-Read shows us how to control that fear and use it to positively shape the direction of our birth. This is a hidden jewel that needs to get out in the mainstream again.

Other useful books include:

Christ Centered Childbirth by Kelly Townsend

Husband Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley, MD

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, difficult language, 26 Aug 2009
I bought this book while I was pregnant. It is very informing. Knowing what goes on while you are in labour makes one not to dare the birth. I was calm in my 58 hours labour as I knew what is going on and what is best for me and the baby. This is all because of this book that I found really useful.

The only downside is the language of the book is not easy to read, but this is worth trying as it is a treasure for a pregnant woman dreading the birth.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new gift for pregnant mums-to-be, 13 Oct 2008
Jane Allan (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I bought and read this after seeing it mentioned on an NCT website and reading the recommendations here. It was the best thing I did in preparing for giving birth. It gave me confidence to look forward to labour without any fear. I had a very quick and straightforward delivery. I can't claim that it was all due to the impact of reading this book, but I am convinced that going into labour feeling excited rather than fearful was very beneficial. This book was the main factor that gave me that calmness. It is old fashioned, and by the end I found that it was dragging, but by that stage I had learned all I needed to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking and useful, 8 Aug 2008
I bought this book while I was pregnant. I didn't want to believe that birth was an inherently painful process and I wanted to read more about it.
This was written a while ago, but everything in it still holds true. Grantly explains how society always portrays giving birth as a terrible and painful experience, but that the real thing does not have to be that way, providing that women are educated about the birth process and learn techniques for relaxation.
His theories were fascinating and gave me confidence about my ability to give birth. During labour I remembered a lot about the text and it was really helpful. As a result I had a calm, controlled and completely normal birth which was free from interventions. It also took less than 5 hours from start to finish!
I will definitely read it again for my subsequent pregnancies.... I haven't been put off by childbirth at all! It really doesn't have to be frightening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading For Every Mum-to-be!, 22 July 2007
J. Comyns (USA) - See all my reviews
If you never read any other book on childbirth, make sure you read this one. I first read this book before I had my first child in 1992. I was so glad I did. My understanding of the labour-fear-tension connection enabled me to have a relatively pain-free labour. I have since had 2 more children and reread this book each time, using the knowledge I gained to feel in control of my birthing experiences. Relaxation has been key and as a result, I can honestly say that giving birth has been the most fantastic experience for me each time. My midwives have all said they've never seen anyone give birth in such a relaxed state.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you are planning a natural birth, 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This book is absolutely fantastic and should be provided free to all mums-to-be. I always planned to have a natural childbirth and was looking for a book which told me the facts and also helped me believe that I wouldn't necessarily need pain medication. As I read it my confidence grew as I understood the process of labour and the "pains" involved and I found my mind remembering sections whilst I was having contractions. I did end up with a natural pain med free childbirth and I know this book helped more than anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and thought provoking, 18 Nov 2005
John Wolstenholme (Winchester, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Great! I loved this book because it explained to me in simple terms that childbirth doesn't have to be painful because it's really just a natural act. We seemed to be conditioned into 'expecting' a painful birth (and a hospital or medical procedure), and he explains why that isn't necessarily right. He does include some anecdotal bits, and I found these ADDED to the interest rather than detracted from the subject. I can see why he went on to found the national childbirth trust!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›